hfhgsrjjdf November 13th, 2017 1:35am

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominee Discussion Poll! @MrAmerica @Senate101

11/12/17 6:46 pm

Cool! You're up first, and then Senate and I will agree with it or give constructive criticism. :)

11/12/17 6:52 pm

@Senate101 , you're up next to give your imput on MrA's pick or to make your pick! :)

11/12/17 6:53 pm

Oh nm, I saw that you replied. :)

11/12/17 7:09 pm

Oh sorry DSH, I messed up the order for the 2nd round!

11/12/17 7:15 pm

That's ok!

11/12/17 7:32 pm

For the third round, the order is Senate, MrA, then me.

11/12/17 7:35 pm

You guys give me constructive criticism on my 2nd pick, then you can go.

11/12/17 7:46 pm

I think it's DSH's turn now.

11/12/17 7:55 pm

For the 4th round, the order is me, MrA, then Senate. I will post my pick right now.

11/12/17 7:56 pm

How many rounds are we doing?

11/12/17 8:21 pm

For the last round, the order is Senate101, MrA, then me.

11/12/17 6:36 pm

Hello, welcome to our 2020 Democratic Presidential Nominee Discussion Poll. I, and fellow political junkies @MrAmerica and @Senate101 will be the participants. This discussion was inspired by a fivethrityeight.com article. The three of us will take turns naming who we think has the best chance to win the Democratic nomination in 2020. We ask that others not make comments in the thread, but feel free to like comments and make comments outside this thread. We hope you enjoy! Here is the article that inspired this poll: fivethirtyeight.com/features/our-way-too-early-2020-democratic-primary-draft/

11/12/17 6:39 pm

For the 1st round draft, the order will be @MrAmerica @Senate101 then me.

11/12/17 6:47 pm

My first pick is Tim Ryan, Representative from Ohio’s 13th congressional District. I think that he will be able to attract the voters that Hillary Clinton was not able to get in 2016, the voters in the Rust Belt. I just don’t think that he will be able to get the more progressive vote in the primary.

11/12/17 6:50 pm

Interesting pick. I believe he was on Clinton's VP list, and he challenged Nancy Pelosi for the House Minority leadership. He has name recognition, but I agree he would have a hard time getting the nomination. It also isn't very common for representatives to become President. But I agree that being from the swing state of Ohio would help him!

11/12/17 6:52 pm

I agree that Ryan would be the most electable in a general election. In the primary, however, the Blue Collar, moderate Rust Belt workers usually don't vote in as great numbers as they do in the General Election. I'd say someone like Elizabeth Warren has the best chance to win the primary, but she'll flounder in the General Election.

11/12/17 6:57 pm

Elizabeth Warren would definitely have a good chance of winning the nomination, and she would put up a big fight against President Trump. She is probably one of the most famous democrats right now. At the end of the day, I'm not sure if she is running; I believe she said she wasn't. People do change their minds, and Trump V. Warren would be very interesting to watch!

11/12/17 6:57 pm

Good pick. It’s very likely that she will run, but I just don’t know how much the Democrat base will Ike her over some of the younger, more charismatic candidates, she will be 72 in 2020. But she definitely has a good chance at winning.

11/12/17 6:59 pm

Good point, Mr. A. I think one of the structural problems with the Democratic base (which includes myself) is sending contradicting messages. A few months after the election, a poll was conducted that showed most Democrats saying they want a 2020 candidate who is young, new, and a minority. In the same poll, a vast majority of Democrats chose as their first choice old, seasoned, white politicians (Bernie, Hillary, Biden, Warren, etc.) and I think that going forward, every Democrat needs to consider whether they will prioritize their ideals of they want in a candidate versus the actual candidates they pick.

11/12/17 7:02 pm

My 1st pick is Freshman U.S Senator Kamala Harris of California. I know the fact that she is a freshman senator makes it a bold move for me to draft her first, but President Obama was a freshman senator as well. She is from a fundraising powerhouse (California), young, black, female, and has a ton of support from famous democrats.

11/12/17 7:03 pm

I don’t know a lot about her, but from what you described, I think that she will do pretty well in the primary if she decides to run.

11/12/17 7:06 pm

I think so. As a Californian, I saw there was a ton of grassroots support for Harris among young and minority people, even though she was running against a Hispanic Congresswoman from the LA area. And I believe CA is looking at bringing its primary date back from June to March, so they have more impact on the primary process. In any case, Harris is a real up an coming star (no one here had heard of her until 4 years ago, now she's a major player), and I think she'll be dynamic on the campaign trail.

11/12/17 7:08 pm

Awesome! That first round went perfectly smooth, this is really fun! For the 2nd round, the order is Senate101, me, then MrAmerica.

11/12/17 7:08 pm

My 2nd pick is Joe Kennedy III, another Representative, representing Massachusetts 4th congressional District. Pros: He is young, progressive, and has the famous last name, he is also has a good personality from what I have witnessed, which may attract some voters in the primary and General Election. Flaws: Right now, he just doesn’t have the name recognition and he hasn’t really expressed any interest in running.

11/12/17 7:11 pm

I'm actually not too sure about Kennedy. Yeah, he's of super famous lineage and has a lot of friends high up, but he isn't well known anywhere out of Massachusetts, and there's an embarrassing episode of him being arrested for drunk driving, then blaming it on Congress, then going to rehab... Messy stuff. And disregarding that, there's just no enthusiasm for another member of a famous political family.

11/12/17 7:13 pm

I think the Kennedy name could help and hurt him. I don't really know much about him.

11/12/17 7:13 pm

You're up next Senate.

11/12/17 7:15 pm

I think that's a crucial problem: NO one has ever heard of this specific Kennedy. It'd be an artificial campaign.

11/12/17 7:23 pm

For my pick, I'd say Cory Booker of New Jersey. He's the young, dynamic minority who I think can get the message out for the Democratic base, and also appeal to workers and moderates in a way someone so politically charged like Hillary Clinton couldn't. He has some of both worlds: he's establishment AND outsider, experienced AND fresh, etc.

11/12/17 7:26 pm

Another good pick, I agree.

11/12/17 7:27 pm

Aw man, you stole one of my picks! :D That's ok, but you are absolutely right. He has been dubbed Obama 2.0. The only issue I see is that he has a lot of connections to Wall Street, which might not appeal to some democratic voters. But, I can most definitely see him winning the nomination. The last 2 democratic presidents had great speeches at the previous democratic convention, and Cory Booker has that going for him.

11/12/17 7:31 pm

As for my 2nd pick, I'm going with U.S. Senator from Minnesota Amy Klobuchar. She's not that old, and is making moves to run for president by visiting Iowa. Because she is from a state directly above Iowa, I think she would have a good chance of winning the caucuses there. That would make her a front-runner.

11/12/17 7:32 pm

I think Booker's only obstacle is that he's not too well known outside of the state, but other than that he's a good bet, unless he's tied to the other senator from NJ, Bob Menendez.

11/12/17 7:33 pm

Sorry, commented out of turn.

11/12/17 7:33 pm

That's ok.

11/12/17 7:36 pm

My third pick would be Bernie Sanders. Yeah, he's super Cliché and super Old, but he can drive the masses out to vote like no other. And without the Democrats really having an "establishment" leader in power, now that HRC is gone, gives him a lot of momentum. But his going back to being an Independent, despite promising to stay a Democrat no matter what the result, could hurt him with the part faithful.

11/12/17 7:37 pm

DSH, interesting pick, I don’t know enough about her to give my opinion.

11/12/17 7:37 pm

And I think Klobuchar [sic] is a really good dynamic candidate who can carry the runs belt, but she'll have to make it up in states along the Coasts to compete with candidates hailing from those areas.

11/12/17 7:39 pm

Bernie Sanders is an okay pick, he is too old and him switching to being an independent makes him probably not sit well with the party insiders.

11/12/17 7:39 pm

Bernie is a good bet. As the runner up from the 2016 election, he would have a decent shot at the nomination.

11/12/17 7:40 pm

My 3rd pick, another odd one, and another person serving in the House: Tulsi Gabbard, Representative, Hawaii’s 2nd Congressional District. I think that she will be able to appeal to two groups, the Bernie anti-establishment wing of the party, and maybe even some moderates. She is also a veteran, which may attract some voters. I think that some will be skeptical of her because of her socially conservative past and she is somewhat of an isolationist.

11/12/17 7:42 pm

That's a nice pick. Gabbard is someone Democrats and Republicans can have an open mind about. But I remember she came under fire for meeting in secret with Bashar al-Assad, then lying about it. Liberals weren't too pleased about that, and I don't think swing voters will be either.

11/12/17 7:44 pm

I think Gabbard could be President of the United States someday. She's young and a woman, so she has a political future ahead in her life. She's a Hindu, so I think the religious factor might hurt her a little like it hurt Smith in 1928 and Romney in 2012. 10 or 15 years from now though, I don't think it will matter much.

11/12/17 7:49 pm

For my 3rd pick, I'm going with Vice President Joe Biden. Yes, a lot of people think he's a joke, but I honestly think that he is one of the only Democrats who could beat Trump. Will the voters nominate him? That's a tricky path. He is one of the only Democrats that is serious about possibly running for President.

11/12/17 7:51 pm

Agree. Say what you will about Grandpa Joe, he's someone who knows DC like the back of his hand, and he's genuinely seen as a good person among most Democrats. And I again agree that the biggest challenge will be for him to fend off challenges from young, new face like Harris and Booker.

11/12/17 7:54 pm

Good pick. I think that he will do good in the primary, but he may not do that good in the actual election, depending on if Trump (assuming he is the nominee) is doing a decent job in 2020. He will also be old.

11/12/17 7:57 pm

My 4th pick: Kirsten Gillibrand. Hillary Clinton 2.0 but much younger. 'Nuff said! :D

11/12/17 7:58 pm

TRUE! I forgot about her. Yeah, you're right that she is Hillary 2.0. The problem with that is that both HRC and Gilibrand were seen as moderates before shifting to the left.

11/12/17 8:01 pm

An okay pick, not sure how she will do in the primary though.

11/12/17 8:03 pm

My 4th pick is Virginia Senator Tim Kaine. He was Hillary Clinton’s running mate which can both help and hurt him, it may help him with moderate and establishment Democrats but he will be hated by the progressive wing. He also was terrible when debating Mike Pence, which is why he is only #4 on my list.

11/12/17 8:06 pm

I agree, MrA. In the debate, he didn't come across super presidential either.

11/12/17 8:12 pm

Yeah, that's true. I like Kaine, but I don't see him getting past the primary.

11/12/17 8:13 pm

My next pick would be Sherrod Brown. An Ohio Senator, he can appeal to both moderates and liberals on the campaign trail, although he isn't too well known.

11/12/17 8:16 pm

Very good pick! He was also on Clinton's vp list. Only obstacle is he has to win re-election for Senator in 2018.

11/12/17 8:22 pm

Yeah, I don’t really know enough about that senator to form an opinion, him being from Ohio is a plus, though.

11/12/17 8:23 pm

My fifth and last choice is none other than Hillary Clinton herself. She's last on this list for a reason, being her unlike ability and worn-out name, but she still has some diehard supporters among liberals, and she may be recruited to take another swing at the Donald.

11/12/17 8:26 pm

Interesting pick, as a conservative, I both hope that she does and doesn’t win. Haha.

11/12/17 8:26 pm

Interesting, but you're probably right. After the 2016 election, however, I don't think she looks very strong to swing voters. Who knows though?

11/12/17 8:30 pm

My 5th and final pick is a Wasserman Schultz/Donna Brazile ticket with Maxine Waters as their campaign manager! Okay, okay, I’m just joking! My actual 5th pick is Chuck Schumer, he has experience and he does a good job opposing the republicans and Trump. The main problem is that he is considered to be a part of the establishment. I am not sure if he is considering running either.

11/12/17 8:32 pm

Agree. Chuck is respected in DC but he'll have a hard time outside of it.

11/12/17 8:33 pm

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚You had me there for a minute with the Debbie Schultz thing.

Schumer is a good speaker. I think he could run if the Democrats are desperate.

11/12/17 8:37 pm

For my final pick, I'm going with someone who would look like a joke if he ran. Trump proved that this can happen: Stephen Colbert. Who knows if he was joking when he said he would run while in Russia, but I honestly think because he is an outsider, that is precisely what Democrats need to beat President Trump, also an outsider. I think it would be funny to have a Trump V. Colbert match.

11/12/17 8:39 pm

Oh yeah. Colbert 2020 baby! It's been a great discussion.

11/12/17 8:41 pm

Interesting pick, I don’t think that he will run, but it is possible.

Thanks for hosting this discussion @DSH ❗️It has been a lot of fun!

11/12/17 8:46 pm

It was fun! Thank you guys so much for participating! It really means a lot. To sum up, the primary teams are down below:

MrAmerica's team:

DSH's team:
1. Kamala Harris
2. Amy Klobuchar
3. Joe Biden
4. Kirsten Gillibrand
5. Stephen Colbert

Do you guys want to put the teams to a vote in seperate poll?

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
11/13/17 12:09 am

@DSH @MrAmerica @Senate101

youtu.be/ZqCFxg2ez44

Share as widely as you’d like. Funniest political song EVER!

11/13/17 3:50 pm