Praetorianus November 13th, 2017 12:27am

Twitter users: do you have any followers that are recognized public figures (politicians, entertainers etc)?

ARMinarchist Arkansas
11/12/17 8:13 pm

Yes. Austin Petersen, ran for president as a Libertarian and is now running for Senate.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
11/12/17 7:55 pm

I don’t know if I even have any followers, as I don’t post anything. Or at least haven’t, yet. Probably a few people from SOH who I've followed and they followed me back. That makes them famous enough, to me.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
11/13/17 6:15 pm

You’re famous in my book, but I didn’t want to rat you out to the herd here 🙂

susanr Colorado
11/12/17 7:18 pm

Sherrod Brown (US Senator from Ohio), Barack Obama, and tech writer/presenter David Pogue (Scientific American, CBS, NOVA, formerly NYT).

Some that may be less known but are notable IMO: Walter Kirn (author of Up in the Air; literary critic) Rebecca Skloot (author of award-winning The Immoortal life of Henrietta Lacks), Steve Silberman (science journalist & author of award-winning Neurotribes), Scott Brick (award-winning audiobook narrator; actor).

Oh, and Tony Bacos.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
11/12/17 7:26 pm

Obama?wow, the real Obama follows you?
Amazing!
Didn't even know Tony was on Twitter btw.

susanr Colorado
11/12/17 7:43 pm

Obama has almost 97 million followers, and follows over 600K of them. And yes, it's the verified Barack Obama account. (There's another verified account from when he was President; it's archived now

. I followed it, but it didn't follow me.)

Tony's account looks pretty inactive. Last tweet was 77 days ago; the one before that was 146 days ago.

I confess I don't usually see the Obama tweets. I follow mostly scientists, science journalists, (those 2 make my biggest group overall) tech people (mostly, but not all, Mac), local news & other local organizations, other personal interest stuff, other writers, friends & family... And then I often forget to look at it for days.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
11/12/17 7:45 pm

Eh, Tony Bacos is what I call a mummy 💀

Praetorianus Fair enough.
11/12/17 7:53 pm

I recommend Neil deGrasse Tyson and Buzz Aldrin but you probably already follow.

susanr Colorado
11/12/17 8:07 pm

Yikes, no, I probably don't. I just haven't been that active on Twitter. When I go there I always enjoy the stuff I see from my "old gang" of folks, but I haven't added many new people there. I'm more likely to go to Twitter to find out what the heck is going on in my town - it's especially good for learning *very* local stuff here.

I'm more likely to add people like Tyson and Aldrin on Facebook, and yes, I'm sure I follow them there, because I do like them both a lot. I just grabbed another shortish audiobook by Tyson (Astrophysics for People in a Hurry); I think it was one of Audible's Daily Deals for a couple bucks. That makes 4 of his I have now; 3 of them narrated by him.

Buzz Aldrin is a hoot. I love reading his FB posts and looking at the pictures of him there.

susanr Colorado
11/12/17 8:09 pm

(I *was* already following Tyson, but not Aldrin. I fixed that.)

Praetorianus Fair enough.
11/12/17 5:36 pm

Jordan Jansen, Australian singer (active communication), Jacob Sartorius and Greyson Chance (they just follow).
Now I'll try to do something much harder: get Donald Trump to follow me 😁