badattitude November 11th, 2017 11:52pm

There hasn't been an earthquake more than 4.0 anywhere around the world in 24 hours. Is something about to pop?

susanr Colorado
11/12/17 3:26 pm

Well, apparently you're pretty well tuned in. I'm getting notifications of a 7.3-7.4 earthquake on the Iran-Iraq border.

susanr Colorado
11/12/17 3:30 pm

Apparently! Do you use the Pro version of My Radar? I'm downloading the free version of the app right now, but I suspect the Pro version is going to be necessary for optimal usefulness.

badattitude no place like home
11/12/17 3:32 pm

I just have the regular version I think. I paid a little extra for the hurricane maps.

susanr Colorado
11/12/17 3:41 pm

I don't think I'll need that, except for general interest. I'm certainly not in a hurricane area, anyway.

The only difference between the 2 versions is that Pro costs $3 and already has ads removed; the free version has ads that you can remove with an in-app $ purchase; all the other in-app purchases are identical. So I might as well stick with the free version, and if the ads annoy me enough (they usually do, in an app I use a lot) I'll cough up the $3.

badattitude no place like home
11/12/17 3:42 pm

Honestly, I don't even notice any adds.

susanr Colorado
11/12/17 3:52 pm

That's good to know. I don't mind the one that's taking up a strip across the bottom of my iPad screen, about 1/6 of its height (same on iPhone but seems more like 1/8 height) except when it's very bright. It sort of ruins the aesthetics of the display.

You know, that's the thing about so much of the advertising on the internet. It makes what should be a peaceful and pleasant experience just *suck.* You're trying to read an article about something, or look at some artwork or a graphic display of something, but your screen is full of discordant images, mostly of *crap* that seriously detract from what should be a pretty *focused* experience.

susanr Colorado
11/12/17 3:57 pm

I honestly think it affects our brains, our sensibilities, our patience, our attention spans, and ultimately our expectations of how the world should be in some really negative ways. When you're trying to read something serious on a web page, don't you ever want to *throttle* the web designer who put the jiggly ads, and the ones that keep changing (I keep catching the ads on My Radar on my iPhone, cycling through major changes, out of the corner of my eye, as I'm typing this on my iPad, and even that is annoying), and the ones that *surround* the bits of text that you're allowed to see between scrolling through more and more ads?

I think it's going to make us all crazy. We're going to forget what it's like to just sit and read in peace.

Unless, you know, we just grab a *book* and sit and read in peace.

Sorry for the rant... It's something I think about more and more. (And discuss, with my daughter, who is a web designer...)

mcable Lost in Translation
11/12/17 9:28 am

Thank you, Brek! I use that app for storms (i.e. Can I make it back to the clubhouse before this shower hits?) but I had no idea it did earthquakes too. Seems broken right now.

badattitude no place like home
11/12/17 9:32 am

Yes, I think it's broken too. All the pilots I know use that app right before pushback to see the latest picture of weather for our flight. The wind readout is really interesting. It can show you where fronts and low pressure areas are. Very good information.

badattitude no place like home
11/11/17 6:17 pm

I'm beginning to suspect my app. Checking

mark4
11/12/17 6:06 am

What app do you use?

badattitude no place like home
11/12/17 9:35 am

Myradar. The earthquake feature just started working again.

asia
11/11/17 5:39 pm

Not sure which 24 hour period you are talking about but according to the earthquake app there's been a slew of 4 and 5 earthquakes today (Saturday) and even one 6 since Friday.

badattitude no place like home
11/11/17 5:54 pm

I don't see anything over 4. Something in over a day.

badattitude no place like home
11/11/17 6:17 pm

I'm beginning to suspect my app. Checking

mark4
11/12/17 6:07 am

What app do you use?

Kay41 the Midwest
11/11/17 4:53 pm

Is there usually?

badattitude no place like home
11/11/17 5:54 pm

Dozens around the world of 4's and 5's

Kay41 the Midwest
11/11/17 5:59 pm

Interesting. I never knew that.

badattitude no place like home
11/11/17 6:13 pm

It's included in a weather app I use called my radar. It's pretty amazing. Wind, radar, earthquakes, temperatures of land and water, even aviation weather map overlays. It's pretty cool. I like the wind from satellites. Amazing. Look it up.

badattitude no place like home
11/12/17 9:34 am

The earthquake feature just started working again