Show of HandsShow of Hands

VirtualCongress November 11th, 2017 10:00pm

Justice PeaceKeepaGirl (PL-ME) proposes Carbon Fee and Dividend Plan

0 Liked

Comments: Add Comment

skinner Wisconsin
11/12/17 3:03 pm

Nay, I can't countenance taxing individuals based on the amount of carbon they produce. It seems difficult to enforce and reactionary insofar as it will effect the poor the worst.

PeaceKeepaGirl advance democracy
11/12/17 4:41 pm

It's a moot point now but most poor people would probably net gain money unless they're particularly reliant on fossil fuels, no? Remember that most of the money is being distributed right back evenly among the people, so this is in effect income redistribution from polluters to non-polluters, and my guess is the wealthy and corporations probably pollute more per capita, even if they might (???) be slightly more energy efficient in terms of what fuel they consume.

osouless Whats Next
11/12/17 10:29 am

Tax the perpetrators, give money back to victims. 👍🏻💯👏🏻

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
11/11/17 7:21 pm

No freakin’ way. You’re not spending a dollar of my tax money to fix a fictional problem that, if it were real, would be far too large for us to solve anyway.

Reply
jadeburt Ann Arbor, Michigan
11/11/17 5:31 pm

Aside from the fact that I’d never support this, I wonder if the author realizes that increasing the tax by 10% each year means that the tax will be $350/ton in 2050.

Reply
PeaceKeepaGirl advance democracy
11/12/17 6:22 am

The goal would be to have the tax rate grow steeply enough that fossil fuel use would be phased out near-completely by then. Anything less is staying course for the greatest economic disaster in human history.

iceberg124
11/11/17 4:45 pm

I wish I could vote no twice

Reply
chance Sirnotappearinginthisfilm
11/11/17 4:54 pm

If you were in Chicago, you could

Jkllink VC President
11/11/17 3:54 pm

Nay, this is just ridiculous.

Reply
chance Sirnotappearinginthisfilm
11/11/17 4:54 pm

Not enough, you either need a double face palm, or face desk.

Liberty 4,032,064
11/11/17 3:13 pm

Nay. This is completely absurd.

Reply
VirtualCongress Speaker NDAmerican
11/11/17 3:01 pm

I. Individuals and businesses shall be taxed at a rate of $15 per ton of carbon emitted, beginning in 2019.
(a) Each subsequent year, the tax will be adjusted in accordance with the CPI, then increased by 10%; the additional 10% increases will end in 2050.
II. 75% of income generated will be evenly distributed among all US citizens. The remaining 25% will go towards deficit reduction.

VirtualCongress Speaker NDAmerican
11/11/17 3:01 pm

Summary: Taxes carbon and returns most of the revenue to citizens.