susannr November 10th, 2017 9:00pm

Did you know that a Socialist wrote the Pledge of Allegiance.

lj74
11/11/17 7:56 am

And your point?

susannr Colorado
11/11/17 12:19 pm

Obviously to piss you off... I think it’s working! 😆

JWig Science is truth
11/10/17 4:52 pm

I didn't know that. I'm going to look into it.

Hogoke Constitution
11/10/17 3:35 pm

Communism or socialism was "invented" by Karl Marx in 1848 whereas the star spangled banner was written in 1814 and Francis Scott key died in 1843.

TrueAmerican7 I Am Galt.
11/10/17 5:08 pm

I’d argue that it’s flaws were discovered before that by William Bradford.

missmorganmarie ...
11/11/17 5:49 am

the star spangled banner is not the same thing as the pledge of allegiance...

DoctorWasdarb Decolonize
11/10/17 3:01 pm

Bullshit. Any real socialist would oppose US imperialism. These so-called socialists were really just activists for white people, looking to incorporate white people into the empire to keep them satisfied by establishing a more equitable distribution of the superprofits from imperialism.

susanr Colorado
11/10/17 2:11 pm

Yes. I also know that Francis Bellamy was a minister who had been "forced from his Boston pulpit for preaching against the evils of capitalism" (Freethinkers: A History of American Secularism, Susan Jacoby, 2004), and that he believed in absolute separation of church and state.

The phrase "under God" was added to the Pledge in my lifetime - in 1954, early in the Cold War. (I was only 8, but I remember the change.) A relative of Bellamy (a niece, maybe) was quoted as saying he would have been horrified by that addition.

susannr Colorado
11/10/17 2:17 pm

Impressive 👍

susanr Colorado
11/10/17 2:23 pm

Which, that I know some details, or that I'm old enough to remember that change? They actually sort of go together.
=:-)

I've been discussing the Pledge online for a couple of decades. I did pull the quote (and the citation) about Bellamy being chased from his pulpit from his Wikipedia article, but I've been familiar with the info for a looong time. I can't remember where I heard the story about his niece, though.

OmenGaming
11/10/17 2:38 pm

You said that your cousin didn’t like it, but do YOU agree with the addition of “under god”?

susanr Colorado
11/10/17 3:07 pm

Not my cousin; a relative of the author of the Pledge.

But no, I don't feel the phrase has any business in the Pledge. It should be removed. (But I'm OK with not focusing on doing that (or similar phrases on our money, which also don't belong there) at present.)