thatguy2 November 10th, 2017 2:41pm

Which do you think happens more often: victims of sexual assault being too scared/ashamed to report it or people making false assault accusations?

DrCarpenter A2
11/15/17 2:08 pm

Too scared/ashamed. I was a kid when I was abused. I didn't say anything until 2 years ago, and I did not formally report it. I knew that 1) the person who was abusing me would retaliate and 2) my parents may not do anything about it.

Wino I need a drink
11/11/17 10:03 pm

I didn’t report it until I was older and understood that it wasn’t something I had done. My parents raised me to be confident in my body, but I saw how we, as a society, treat women who say they were assaulted.

emraldYE Lancaster County, PA
11/11/17 8:33 am

29? Good Lord people are idiotic.

catpillow Florida West Coast
11/10/17 1:11 pm

I never reported it.

Ducttape
11/10/17 11:34 am

While there are a few who’d use this scenario to ruin a person. There are far more afraid that coming out to what happened would not only make them look weak and relive the moment, it would also open to door to all sorts of unimaginable abuse at the hands of angry individuals. Sometimes it’s easier to ignore the problem than to open that door. Unfortunately, it also leaves the aggressor free to hurt others.

gonzoboy Arizona
11/10/17 9:52 am

I am certain, convinced, that the numbers lean heavily to “Scared victims”. This may be the most underreported crime, next to domestic abuse, on planet earth. Good poll, tg2!

EarlyBird Portland
11/10/17 8:12 am

Based on personal experience, most women are ashamed, scared or don’t want to make waves.
That said, there are attention seekers who I fear might jump on the bandwagon and either make untrue accusations, or exaggerate their experience.
I’m not talking about Weinstein in particular, just in general.

MrsCrayonWax
11/10/17 9:11 am

Agreed

thatguy2 We tried to warn you
11/10/17 7:49 am

I don't think it's close. The number of victims scared to report far outweighs the number of false accusations.

If you're wondering why victims would be scared to come forward, read about the lengths Weinstein went to to keep women quiet.

www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/11/07/562631069/report-weinstein-hired-agents-to-investigate-and-suppress-accusations-against-hi