mudkip17 November 8th, 2017 9:28pm

according to a recent poll on here 78% of republicans who participated believe that Facebook is violating the 1st ammendment, do these results shock you?

Zod Above Pugetropolis
11/08/17 7:22 pm

Not in the least, as my expectations of them are incredibly low, and they rarely disappoint.

mitchman399 Oregon
11/08/17 5:26 pm

What was their reasoning behind that?

abusara i drink and i know things
11/08/17 3:38 pm

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

What exactly is FB violating?

voc I am...what I am
11/08/17 2:56 pm

Doesn’t surprise me from the SOH Republicans.

susanr Colorado
11/08/17 3:05 pm

Some. Of. Them.

voc I am...what I am
11/08/17 3:37 pm

I’m sorry. Yes you’re right of course. Some of them. And I should have said so.

susanr Colorado
11/08/17 2:39 pm

It was depressing, but there weren't a lot of votes on the poll - 64 total (so far, the poll is still open), and 19 of them were Republicans. So that was 15 who said Facebook is violating the First Amendment. Only one person comment in that regard, stating that the First Amendment didn't pertain to government only. {wince}

mudkip17 United States of Texas
11/08/17 2:47 pm

ya that's why I added participating, as to not connect all republicans to it since it was such a small sample

susanr Colorado
11/08/17 3:00 pm

True... good point.

I wonder what we'd see with a large sample, though. Say, like a SOH main poll. Also, what the arguments would be.

I don't think anyone likes to see anyone's "free speech" squelched for no good (apparent) reason. We all see it as a fundamental right - probably our most fundamental right (except those who feel that's the 2nd Amendment). But I'm still surprised that anyone sees a social media company as *not* having the right to limit what their users do/say/etc.

It's not the same as an employer specifying what you can/can't say/do (at least while you're on the clock), but it's not the same as when you're standing on public property, either. You're a customer/guest/whatever - you're in *Facebook's* territory.

Maybe it's because we (some of us anyway) see the internet as open territory? There's "no there, there"? Would they feel differently if Facebook were a building you had to walk into, and they didn't let you do certain things there? Or not? I don't know.

susanr Colorado
11/08/17 3:04 pm

Maybe it's because Facebook is "free," and therefore people ought to be able to do/say whatever they want there?

I think I've heard some or all of those arguments made, not necessarily about Facebook but about other places on the internet at least, at times. I certainly don't agree with any of them. It reminds me of arguing about intellectual property, and some people saying it's just fine to pirate music/movies/whatever, just because... and arguing against copyright. As if the internet is some magical place where suddenly artists just keep writing and singing and designing games and making movies, and neither they nor the many support people involved have to earn a living any more...

Geez, I really got off on a side track, didn't I?

MrsCrayonWax
11/08/17 2:32 pm

Facebook has sole rights to allow or dismal,ow anything they want, it’s a private company, no?

MrsCrayonWax
11/08/17 2:33 pm

*disallow

badattitude no place like home
11/08/17 2:30 pm

How is Facebook violating the 1st amendment?