swervin November 8th, 2017 12:41am

Do you have a good understanding of military law and the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ)?

presrvd Phoenix
11/08/17 6:14 pm

I'm pretty familiar with quite a few articles of UCMJ, as well as the ACMJ (Arizona National Guard, we have some slightly different rules--being entities of the state as well). As the Admin NCO for a Garrison command, I've processed more administrative actions than I care to count...

NKarta Please excuse my sanity
11/07/17 10:47 pm

Nah. Found out from a veteran friend yesterday that we can still officially set up a firing squad though, so thats cool.

jlong105 Indiana
11/07/17 7:21 pm

I know it better than most thanks to my duty as a holding company PSG for 5 years. Not JAG level knowledge by any means.

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
11/07/17 7:03 pm

I’m no JAG.....but I knew it well enough to (barely) stay out of trouble when I was in. Statute of limitations has passed for other stuff.

4Freedom1776
11/07/17 7:09 pm

I fancied myself a barracks lawyer

MrAmerica Adoring the Logos
11/07/17 7:52 pm

Commenting so that I can see what it is.

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
11/07/17 8:10 pm

A ‘JAG’ in the USN is a ‘Judge Advocate General.’ In the Navy this is a staff officer position like supply, dental or medical corps. JAG officers are essentially Navy Lawyers. Think of the movie ‘A few good men.’ Tom Cruise & Demi Moore we’re both JAGS.

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
11/07/17 8:12 pm

To further elaborate: A ‘line officer’ in the Navy advances through normal channels. They supervise sailors and Marines & can advance to be a Commanding Officer. Staff officers are always specialists.

jlong105 Indiana
11/08/17 2:54 am

JAG are in all branches and to clarify, though @squidboy called them a “navy lawyer”, they are indeed full fledged attorneys who have passed the bar. They have chosen to serve in the military and specialize in military law.

Not arguing with squid here, just pointing out that they have more than military education.

ladyniner81 I hate people
11/09/17 9:08 am

JAG? A T.V. show? 🤦🏻‍♀️

ladyniner81 I hate people
11/09/17 9:10 am

It's something Advocate General. My mom loved that show 😂😂

Zod Above Pugetropolis
11/07/17 6:34 pm

Reasonably good, about on par or a little better with my understanding of the civilian justice system in this country, but I'm not a lawyer. I've read it, and it’s pretty easy to look up anything I have a question about for purposes of amateur discussion, but there’s a good reason lawyers go to a special school and get paid a lot. Seems like I took a fairly long correspondence course on it, in a previous life, part of being a well-rounded NCO. These days it’s all online:
www.ucmj.us

susanr Colorado
11/07/17 6:32 pm

I'm quite sure I *don't.* I'm trying to remember if I've ever read much of anything about it... I think not, even for one narrow subject or other.

I think some of us feel we have a good grasp of *civilian* law, when it seems pretty clear to me that at least some who feel that way really don't. (Thinking of some comments I've seen in polls here, as well as countless idiotic internet comments. Surely the understanding of military law that the majority of us have is even less credible, much less comprehensive.

On the other hand, some of us here surely *do* have a decent understanding of military law, and we should (when we know where that is legitimate) respect that knowledge, and accept it as a resource in any helpful discussions we may have.

MrsCrayonWax
11/07/17 5:53 pm

I do not and I wouldn’t dare comment on it without at least reading up and consulting someone who knew?

swervin Maryland
11/07/17 5:58 pm

That's smart. By talking about something that you don't know much about, it might make you appear foolish. Especially something as complicated as law, since it isn't easy to understand.
I'm not claiming to be an expert on military law but I probably have a greater understanding that most of the population, especially since I have had to deal with a couple of sailors who have been to court martial.

MrsCrayonWax
11/07/17 6:08 pm

Agreed. I’ve got a few topics under my belt but military law is not one of them so I like to watch, read, and learn. 🙂

swervin Maryland
11/07/17 5:45 pm

And before anyone asks, watching A Few Good Men does not mean you have a good understanding. 😂