crazyjane November 7th, 2017 5:14pm

Do you think students should be allowed to eat in college classes? It personally bothers me.

Maat wisdom listens
11/13/17 1:45 am

No, too distracting. People pay a lot to attend classes. It's selfish to interfere in their classroom experiences.

Suzan Hawaii
11/08/17 1:31 am

There is a place for everything. Eat in the cafeteria

phalnx Ohio
11/08/17 12:22 am

Munchie no bother. Eat, students, eat.

jenkp223 Being a mommy
11/07/17 10:14 pm

I think it depends on the class, for one. If it’s a straight lecture, then I don’t see a problem. It also depends on the time of day. I have two classes this semester back-to-back, from 5:45 until 8:15. That’s dinner time for most people. A lot of my classmates bring dinner to class, and it doesn’t bother me. Finally, I think the food itself is an issue. If it’s very crunchy or fragrant, I can see how it would be disruptive.

Wino I need a drink
11/07/17 8:48 pm

I think it should be up the professor and the environment. In a science lab? Then the answers no. If your food is disruptive my answer would also be no. Other than that the few courses I taught, I permitted and even encouraged it (it was evening classes for working teachers and many missed dinner).

I currently substitute in my kids’ school district. Kids in grade school have two designated snack times (the teacher does read aloud) and snacks need to not be disruptive and healthy. Kids in middle school get to pick snack times according to their schedule (same rules) and the teachers let the students know if it’s ok in their classroom (all ELA, Social Studies, and Math classes are fine). I think that is fair as they have science lab, gym, and others that aren’t snack friendly.

CrzyChica
11/07/17 8:38 pm

It doesn't bother me when the college students I teach eat as long as they still participate actively in class. Many have begun eating before class starts because they have discovered our classes are often too active for them to easily eat during class time. The classes I teach are not me lecturing students, and class sizes are small, so students are actively involved.

44YY Boston, MA
11/07/17 8:31 pm

Time is a limited resource

lightsabr2 The Wild Blue Yonder
11/07/17 7:52 pm

Quiet snacks are fine. Rattling open a whopper and fries is way past the line.

fcdrvr
11/07/17 7:33 pm

I think no matter the grade, you should be able to eat in class. Here in the real world, I’ll eat wherever I damn please. At work, during a conference or meeting, in a vehicle, etc. It’s like having to ask to use the potty. Grow up

FarmerManE djent
11/07/17 5:32 pm

I swear some professors are delusional.
Let us eat
Let us type
Let us what ever as long as it doesn't disrupt the lecture

jenkp223 Being a mommy
11/07/17 10:16 pm

Yeah, my professor in my classes doesn’t let us use a laptop.

CMD1973 Oxford iowa
11/07/17 5:23 pm

I have had this occur in my classroom. I only ask the student to eat towards the back of the room so as not to distract the other students.

Laserbeam Crazy bird lady
11/07/17 4:38 pm

Part of my tuition included having the right to eat in class. Don’t assume you know everything about someone else’s life. They might not have time to dedicate to sitting around eating and doing nothing else. I sure didn’t at many points in college.

Laserbeam Crazy bird lady
11/07/17 5:03 pm

Never had a single professor who had a problem with food/beverage. Aside from the obvious, like in a chemistry lab.

anniepoops wisco fever
11/07/17 9:50 pm

I haven't either. Phones are a bigger issue, not food. I think most professors are reasonable about the lives of students outside of class.

aj1545 Cat Lady
11/08/17 7:38 am

Right on, with work, all my dr appts, extra outside of class academic stuff, its that or miss eating. Ive not had a professor care.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
11/07/17 4:07 pm

I don’t see why not, as long as it isn’t something stinky or noisy. Not a major meal, but something like a bag of trail mix or potato chips sure makes it easier to focus.

swervin Maryland
11/07/17 2:56 pm

They are paying, so they should be able to.

aj1545 Cat Lady
11/07/17 2:59 pm

Agree, we shell out big money, as lomg as youre considerate

JackTorS SOH Flounder
11/07/17 2:46 pm

Depending on what people eat, the food occasionally could be so pungent as to make others dizzy and disoriented.
Like certain people’s profile pics.
And that’s just crazy, Jane.

Domino3 Abolish the ATF
11/07/17 1:30 pm

Just leave it up to the professor. I don’t think a snack matters but when students bring in a full meal and make loud noises it’s defiant disturbing to lecture

shiculka optimistic realist
11/07/17 1:19 pm

What's next? Bring your pet to school? Smh

aj1545 Cat Lady
11/07/17 2:58 pm

Yeah thats next, sign me up

Carcano Fir Na Dli
11/07/17 1:17 pm

As long as it's not loud food like potato chips.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
11/07/17 12:36 pm

No. Some people have disgusting manners. No, because they can spell food. No, because some people have allergies. No, because when you’re dieting the smell of pizza or something really drives you nuts.

historylover
11/07/17 12:49 pm

No because students should concentrate on the class. College students are in class for maybe three hours a day? Four hours with a lab? They can't find another time to eat? My long college classes (2 1/2 hours) had a 15 minute break to get a snack if you wanted to. But you couldn't finish it in class. Is it college or kindergarten?

aj1545 Cat Lady
11/07/17 2:53 pm

Some of us work and other academic extras and end up with 12 hr stretches :) we cant all do nothing but class.

tokala
11/07/17 12:04 pm

I hated it when people ate in class. The crinkle of the bag, crunch of eating. It was annoying and distracting.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
11/07/17 12:37 pm

You’re like me sounds really bother me.

crazyjane New Jersey
11/07/17 1:11 pm

Agree. And the whole room will smell

jadeburt Ann Arbor, Michigan
11/07/17 11:38 am

I say absolutely yes. I recall a time my sophomore year of college that I literally had class every minute of the day from 8am until 5:30 pm on Wednesdays. I tried to bring sandwiches and eat while walking between classes, but sometimes I would bring food that I needed to eat while sitting down. Sometimes it’s inevitable.

alexrobbie MN
11/07/17 11:37 am

Outside of laboratories where food can be dangerous, it should be allowed, as long as the food isn't obnoxiously loud.

DrCarpenter Florence, Italy
11/07/17 11:19 am

Depends on the food. Snacks are usually fine, like pretzels, granola bars, or raisins. Meals on the other hand would not be ok. Don't bring Chinese takeout or your leftover potato salad. 🤢

osouless Whats Next
11/07/17 11:18 am

Yes. They’re paying x number of $s to be there, so i’m not going to tell them what they can and can’t do in class. If i, as the professor, fine it to be a distraction then i have the responsibility to handle it as i see fit, but banning it outright is wrong.

snagglepuss Story Time
11/07/17 11:10 am

No. A person should be able to eat before or after classes. It’s a distraction.

bower8899 Gone, Probably Forgotten
11/07/17 11:03 am

Depends. If it's a noisy, smelly, or otherwise distracting food than no. Otherwise sure.

dylkohl The Media Lies
11/07/17 10:58 am

i️ eat in high school

proudGA New Jersey
11/07/17 10:50 am

I have a class where the professor orders two pizzas and we just chill and read papers.

auntiesamm Orange County CA
11/07/17 12:28 pm

That is one very lazy professor!

proudGA New Jersey
11/07/17 2:08 pm

No it’s a seminar. We go over graduate level papers for three hours and rarely anyone gets full points. The pizza is just to help it not be so tense.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
11/07/17 10:47 am

As long as they are quiet sure

catpillow Florida West Coast
11/07/17 10:44 am

No. Eating makes noise that is disrespectful the professor and the other students who are trying to hear the lecture. It is also messy and leaves crumbs which may attract bugs. If you have no choice about eating, at least sit in the back, be as quiet as possible and clean up after yourself.

orgblu10 Shamerica
11/07/17 10:37 am

It doesn't bother me. Schedules are tight. Eating time isn't always convenient, but you still have to do it.

aj1545 Cat Lady
11/07/17 10:44 am

Exactly!! And using a cane doing it walking is out of the question. I also cant always at work because it gets hectic. Sometimes Im on the go for twelve solid hrs, you gotta fit food in somewhere.

orgblu10 Shamerica
11/07/17 10:46 am

I totally understand. I'm not a college student anymore, but I'm always on the run. You still have to eat!

aj1545 Cat Lady
11/07/17 10:37 am

Yeah, as long as you aremt messy or obnoxious. I do it frequently, some of us have to eat at frequent intervals and dont have breaks in tje day to do it outside class. Maybe they could treat it like they do laptops at my school, designate a place for people to sit who want to eat, so if it bothers you you have the option to not be too close.

anniepoops wisco fever
11/07/17 10:30 am

It doesn't bother me, but all of my classes are three hours long. If you're chewing super loud, then I'll be irritated.

Actually, most of the complaints center around loud typists.

aj1545 Cat Lady
11/07/17 10:45 am

Oh god im a loud typist😂plz forgive! Im trying to be quieter but not having much success lol

anniepoops wisco fever
11/07/17 10:49 am

Haha the person is loud mainly because of their super long nails! I'm like please cut them or something lol

aj1545 Cat Lady
11/07/17 11:05 am

I have no idea how you could stand typing with nails like that!

anniepoops wisco fever
11/07/17 12:07 pm

No idea! I'm blown every class. It's like clank, clank, clank...I'm like girl