Red4799 November 7th, 2017 5:24am

Christians: is it a sin to believe in evolution (essentially denying the creation story of Genesis) ?

Suzan Hawaii
11/08/17 1:45 am

I believe that species have a evolved within themselves

Kay41 the Midwest
11/07/17 3:23 pm

It's not a sin. I believe that this world was created by God but I believe completely in evolution and not creationism.

Radon Parts Unknown
11/07/17 10:33 am

Bible was meant to be read, not accurate.

voc I am...what I am
11/07/17 9:28 am

@tlaney1 @political @4jc

The question is: Is it a sin to believe in evolution (essentially denying the creation story of Genesis)

These 3 are probably the best to answer this

political Georgia
11/07/17 10:26 am

Oh gosh - this answer requires a long explanation and thought.

11/07/17 10:42 am

That’s what I was going to say—that this is a VERY complicated issue. I will say one thing—I was VERY shocked to learn that there are Christians that believe in evolution.

I believe the Bible is the inerrant Word of God, but I also believe in giving other Christians the right to interpret the Bible the way they see fit.

I don’t believe this is an issue that Christians should be sitting around arguing about. One day in Heaven, we will find out the truth about all our questions. But the major thing we should be focusing on in this life, imho, is living in such a way as to point others to Jesus, who died on the cross to save them from their sins.

11/07/17 10:44 am

I would also say that @orgblu10 had a very good answer, below, and I agree with him, also!

orgblu10 Shamerica
11/07/17 10:51 am

Thanks, 4JC. I agree with your comment as well. Sometimes I think that when we get to heaven we'll do a lot of "smh"ing about things that we made such a big deal about down here.

11/07/17 11:12 am

I do, too, Orgblu! And I really wonder if Jesus won’t be asking us, “What WERE you thinking? While you were sitting around arguing about THIS issue or THAT issue, you were being a bad witness to those that weren’t Christians, that you could’ve been witnessing to about what I did for them!”

...

political Georgia
11/07/17 1:09 pm

Iļø will say that when Iļø find the time to write my explanation Iļø will take the stance that it is a sin and worthy of debate and defending creationism.

11/07/17 3:08 pm

This is really weird, political. In my notifications, instead of some of the words in your post, it has # signs and question marks inside of boxes.

@susanr do you know anything about this, or about another user whose t’s are being changed into crosses?

political Georgia
11/07/17 3:11 pm

For some odd reason, when I type “I”, question marks appear.

susanr Colorado
11/07/17 3:32 pm

I don't know, 4JC, but it's ringing a bell that shouldn't be very dim but is. Would you do 2 things for me, please? (1) Tell me what iOS version you're using? I think it's 11, but would you confirm and also check if it's an update (like 11.0.something)? (2) Post a comment with some of the characters that got transformed, so I'll get them in a notification? Actually maybe it would help more if @political does that for me.

I'm still on iOS 10 so I may not see it, and I can't update quite yet. But I'll also do some searching because I remember seeing *something* like this - but I can't do that very easily right now; I'm waiting for a bus. Later.

11/07/17 4:24 pm

Susan, I’m on 11.0.3. I think you’re right—that political needs to do that. What version are you on, Pol?

I have an update waiting to go up to 11.1. I might do that tonight to see if it fixes this. Would that help?

...

11/07/17 4:25 pm

Pol, only your first I turned into a question mark with a box around it. The second one is showing fine in notifications, which is REALLY crazy!

susanr Colorado
11/07/17 5:06 pm

Political, are you using Predictive Text? The bar across the screen that suggests words for you?

4JC, I've found that the l -> ? transformation is a known bug with iOS 11, apparently even the version you are using. You turned Predictive Text OFF because you didn't like it. I'm not clear yet whether autocorrect also causes it. Let's see what political says about Predictive Text. I also haven't looked for, or run into, anything that changes t's to crosses. Who is that user?

It looks like Apple is aware of the issue and people are waiting for an update that addresses it. Apparently it's related in some way to an issue that occurred when they added new emojis (that are already known to appear as question marks in black squares for people who don't use iOS 11 or otherwise have compatible emoji coding).

political Georgia
11/07/17 5:20 pm

I’m unaware of what predictable text is, but I think that I have found away to avoid the issue until I make time to play around with my settings.

susanr Colorado
11/07/17 5:22 pm

Political, are you using iOS or Android? What are you doing to avoid the issue?

political Georgia
11/07/17 5:24 pm

I’m using an iPhone. There is a square icon that always pops up (as of yesterday) every time I hit the letter “I”. I simply hit the X button, and everything seems to be okay.

susanr Colorado
11/07/17 5:32 pm

Here's what Predictive Text looks like on an iPhone - that grey bar across the middle of the screen, currently showing "uplo" [exactly what's been typed so far], plus "uploaded" and "upload," 2 possible choices. If you tap any one of those, that text will be entered and you can stop typing. (Many times, the "predicted" text is much more creative.)
i.amz.mshcdn.com/9XnTFPULgM2hArNKRAd9i0UBfdQ=/640x360/2015%2F02%2F28%2Fc9%2Fiphonetext.3f91e.jpg

And here's the bug that some people are currently seeing with Predictive Text - they type a "l" and they get... that ? in a square.
forums.macrumors.com/attachments/img_1171-jpg.729285/

It may be appearing just with autocorrect, though. I'll have to look further.

11/07/17 5:52 pm

Thanks, Susan! I think it was @Mark4 . Mark, was it you that kept having a cross take the place of the letter t today when you typed?

Susan, I used to have my autocorrect set to not autocorrect, but to give me suggestions instead. Do you happen to know off the top of your head how to get to that setting? It seems like every time they do an update, I have to go back and reset all my settings, which is a PAIN!

....

susanr Colorado
11/07/17 8:16 pm

I believe I know where it is. Try this:

Settings > General > Keyboard > Hardware Keyboard > Auto-correction > (turn switch off)

I don't know if that "Hardware Keyboard" thing is new, or if I just didn't notice it before, but it looks like it has settings specifically for your external keyboard.

Notice that in the listings below Hardware Keyboard (before you tap on it, and open up its own set of settings), there's a list of settings that must be just for the *virtual* keyboard. This also includes autocorrection, so apparently you can set them separately - which also means you must *have to* turn them off separately, if you ever use the virtual keyboard. (I do, sometimes.)

11/07/17 8:19 pm

Thanks, Susan! Got it! You’re a sweetheart! Have a good evening! Going to bed soon!

susanr Colorado
11/07/17 8:42 pm

Happy to help! Pleasant dreams.

political Georgia
11/08/17 5:53 am

Thanks Susan! There doesn’t seem to be a problem with the text today.

11/08/17 6:02 am

Thanks, Susan! Another problem I’m suddenly having is that I can no longer tap on an iOS notification about a comment in SOH if SOH is currently pulled up. If I do that, it shows me at the top of the screen the SOH notification, but doesn’t take me to it!

So now, I have to keep putting SOH in the background instead of leaving it open and going from notification to notification, like I could before. I’ve missed some notifications because of this, and it’s VERY irritating to have to keep remembering to tap my home button to put it in the background before I can just tap the next notification!

...

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
11/08/17 11:24 am

If anybody remembers the original topic of this thread, I had wifi problems from yesterday afternoon to this morning - I’m going to have to upgrade my router. But I agree with @political that it’s a sin to deny the inerrant truth of God’s Word. I just disagree that it’s complicated, or a question which allows for individual interpretation.
How can we know that everything was created in six 24-hour days? Because Genesis 1 continually defines each day as “evening and morning,” which is the way Jews define a day, from (the preceding) sunset to (the following) sunset, which is 24 hours.
Where do we get the ~6000-year age? Again, the Bible has the answer. The Book of Genesis carefully records the ages of the Patriarchs when they died, how old each one was when his son was born, etc. This made it possible for an Irish clergyman/scholar, Bishop James Ussher, to construct a detailed timeline reaching all the way back to Creation, which he placed in October, 4004 BC.
I have provided... (more)

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
11/08/17 11:26 am

2 ... this supplemental information as evidence that there is no reason or excuse to disbelieve the Biblical account of Creation. Believing otherwise is equivalent to calling God a liar, which is sin. It’s that simple.

voc I am...what I am
11/08/17 11:35 am

Thank you all for responding! Interesting stuff here, from the Bible to the letter I! šŸ˜œ

Tom, why isn’t the 6000 year old earth more widely accepted?

political Georgia
11/08/17 12:09 pm

I agree totally with Tom. When I get through with this accounting test tomorrow, I want to explain God’s very high moral standard and how misinterpreting Genesis is more serious than what some believe.

11/08/17 12:42 pm

Good points, Tom. I might have to rethink my answer. I’ll wait until after Pol answers, though, and see what he has to say, also! Lol

...

11/08/17 12:44 pm

Tom, you said you’ve provided supplemental info. Did you mean you have a link to that timeline? I don’t see a link. Did you forget it or did I misunderstand?

...

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
11/08/17 1:23 pm

I meant my whole post - the info about 24-hour days and 4004 BC.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
11/08/17 1:24 pm

I think I have a link. I’ll check!

11/08/17 1:26 pm

Thanks, Tom! I’m gonna message you about your router.

11/08/17 4:15 pm

Have you seen this one? I think it looks really cool!

amazingbibletimeline.com/

...

voc I am...what I am
11/08/17 5:12 pm

Why isn’t anyone named Enoch or Lamech anymore?

Sorry. Just an afterthought.

So there are a lot of denominations that don’t believe in the 6000 year old earth. Why is there such a huge discrepancy?

11/08/17 5:43 pm

Voc, when you get into that, you’re basically getting into inerrancy of Scripture, which is a whole ‘nother can of worms! Some people believe that ALL Scripture is completely inerrant (meaning it has no errors). Others believe there are errors due to different translations, mistakes that those that were copying the original documents made, etc.

I was recently shocked to learn that at least some Catholics and some Protestants believe in evolution. I learned that here on SOH. And some people think that days in Genesis could actually be longer than 24 hour days—up to thousands of years, for example.

I think some of it is people that believe in evolution and science, trying to mesh both those beliefs with the Biblical account.

Tom or others here might be able to explain it to you better, but that’s a basic overview of why there are differences.

I’ve studied creation & evolution from a Christian viewpoint, back when I was homeschooling the kids, but I can’t remember all of it.

...

political Georgia
11/09/17 3:16 pm

Since Tom focused on why Genesis is correct, I am going to speak about the sin of misinterpreting the Bible. First of all, we must realize that God’s moral standards that it is impossible to come close to meeting His expectations due to our sinful nature. His word states that no matter what we do (eat or drink) we must do in order to glorify Him. That means not only our intentions must be correct, but the actual result of our intentions must be correct as well. Throughout the Bible, we see multiple places where the writer of the particular book says that his writing is from God. I’m going to assume that everyone here affirms the infallibility of scripture. In doing so, we must not look for ways to twist the Gospel into being consistent with man-made theories. As a result, macroevolution inaccurately describes Genesis causing many to claim that Genesis should be interpreted figuratively. This is a very slippery slope.
šŸ™šŸ»

voc I am...what I am
11/09/17 3:23 pm

But how do you know your interpretation is the correct one?

And to let you know, I don’t think the scripture is infallible. The words were given to man by god, but since man is infallible, how do we know he got it right or didn’t change it to meet his needs at the time.

11/09/17 5:31 pm

Voc, I think you mispoke. You said you don’t think Scripture is infallible (incapable of error). Then you said that man is infallible. I’m pretty sure you meant that man is fallible, didn’t you?

I probably won’t be getting back to you this weekend, as I have all three granddaughters with me, but just wanted to touch base on that while I had a few minutes.

voc I am...what I am
11/09/17 5:36 pm

Lol! Told ya! See how fallible I am? Lol!

Have a great weekend with the grandkids!

11/09/17 7:09 pm

Ha! Ha! Thanks, Voc! I REALLY appreciate that even though you’re not a Christian, you’re always open to learning what we believe and stand for, and you’re NEVER derogatory toward us! God Bless you, man!

...

voc I am...what I am
11/09/17 7:14 pm

We’ve had this conversation. I am a Christian, but I’m struggling with my faith. I know if I have questions (and man do I have questions!) I can always ask you guys. You’re all very knowledgeable and helpful.

11/09/17 7:17 pm

Ohhhh, I’m SO sorry, Voc! Please keep in mind that I have some memory problems due to 6 health conditions. Add to that the fact that I have close to 350 followers, all of which I’m trying to keep straight, and learn about them, just in the last 12 months, and it’s a wonder I remember your name, and that you once didn’t want to follow me! šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚

...

11/09/17 7:18 pm

If you ever feel like talking about why or how you’re struggling, I’m here, either in comments or messaging!

...

voc I am...what I am
11/09/17 7:22 pm

I understand, and I thank you!

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
11/09/17 7:42 pm

Voc, it’s tag team time. You asked:
“The words were given to man by God, but since man is fallible, how do we know he got it right or didn’t change it to meet his needs at the time?”
My answer to this is so simple that it may seem inadequate until you’ve given it some thought. • If we can agree on the first eight words of your question, why is it any more difficult to believe that the same infallible God Who gave the Word to those human “authors” could also PRESERVE His Word from corruption by those men, as well as scribes and translators through the ages? God could easily inspire all the transcriptions and translations of His Word just as He first inspired the “authors” to write it down faithfully. • Now, this raises an additional question: If God inspired all the translations, why are they all slightly different in style, grammar, and word choice? The readers differ in cultural and educational background, in dialect and intelligence. We have an abundance of versions...(more)

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
11/09/17 7:52 pm

2 ...so that everyone can find one that speaks the equivalent Message to them in an accessible style.
Does that answer this question to your satisfaction? If not, feel free to keep asking! This is one of my areas of specialization, and I’m happy to talk about it.
I want to add that strengthening your confidence in the Word will shore up the foundation of your faith and increase your certainty and confidence in God.

voc I am...what I am
11/09/17 8:54 pm

Interesting. Let me ponder that a bit.

I appreciate all of you!

ctskapski NB MD
11/07/17 9:15 am

Not for Catholics.

orgblu10 Shamerica
11/07/17 7:53 am

I don't believe there's any sin in believing that the use of the word "day" is symbolic. But to say God wasn't the initiator of creation would either be saying God's inspired word was wrong, or that He lied in what He said. I don't know what other word you'd call that other than sin. But as others have said, in itself it's a secondary issue that has nothing to do with salvation. And Christians seem to love to make a huge deal out of secondary issues.

11/07/17 10:43 am

Well said, Orgblu!

lj74
11/07/17 7:11 am

Evolution is part of creationism

jakecrs905 Long Island, NY
11/07/17 7:07 am

Lol no. It's not mutually exclusive quite the contrary.

Carcano Luke 10 19
11/06/17 11:25 pm

No, because Evolutionary theory is not denying Genesis. God could have used evolution to create life.

Red4799 Asking the Big Questions
11/06/17 11:55 pm

I suppose I should have been more specific. Denying a *literal interpretation of the Bible
Sorry bout that.