gluxford1 November 6th, 2017 5:27pm

An American cultural studies professor from Bates College condemned the Pledge of Allegiance in a recent op-ed, calling it an "instrument of white supremacy" that is steeped in bigotry & xenophobia. How do you view the professor's conclusion?

SHIPPY1944 Tn.
11/07/17 11:11 am

Send the leftist jerk to China, where he can disrespect their Nation as he has ours, I heard they give them 3yrs in prison for it there👍🏻❗️

gluxford1 Arizona
11/07/17 12:00 pm

China is too good for him. Send him to North Korea.

SHIPPY1944 Tn.
11/08/17 5:34 am

Good suggestion👍🏻 The crazy fat lil NK despot, would probably permanently punch his “stay in jail & rot ticket😵”

ctskapski NB MD
11/06/17 11:38 pm

Some people may consider it bigoted, because of the "under God" but that's immediately followed by "with liberty and justice for all."
Meaning that, even if you're alienated by the first part, you're still included and protected by the second.

As for a tool of white supremacy, maybe my school had a different pledge, but ours never mentioned race, at all.

Carcano Fir Na Dli
11/06/17 11:21 pm

Most college professors are dumber than the kids they teach.

mark4
11/06/17 6:04 pm

Not so much true or false as incredibly silly.

commonman1 Peace
11/06/17 4:58 pm

There are so many people masquerading as professors that it’s embarrassing. People want to talk about gun control reform, I like to talk about college reform.

Harry3603 Tampa Bay Florida.
11/06/17 9:52 pm

Our colleges will lose the respect that has been earned to silly fantasies about wealth redistribution, dictatorial thought control and professors straying out of their fields.

PyroSadist like my comments follow
11/06/17 4:34 pm

What is frightening is that he is teaching or should I say indoctrinating our kids

TheBlackKnight Eclipse
11/06/17 4:27 pm

Not true, but it’s hilarious to see how triggered people get about it- the same people who call others “snowflakes.”

DoctorWasdarb Marxist Leninist Maoist
11/06/17 3:54 pm

Largely true, but is guilty of the same bias as all liberalism, and that is to divorce racism from imperialism.

Carcano Fir Na Dli
11/06/17 11:22 pm

So when the Romans imperialized the Italian peninsula that was because of racism?

DoctorWasdarb Marxist Leninist Maoist
11/06/17 11:33 pm

Lol the pledge of allegiance is about the US, not Rome 😂

Carcano Fir Na Dli
11/06/17 11:49 pm

You're saying that imperialism cannot be separated from racism, are you not?

DoctorWasdarb Marxist Leninist Maoist
11/07/17 10:18 am

The question was about the pledge of allegiance, so I was discussing American imperialism.

abusara i drink and i know things
11/06/17 3:23 pm

A butt hurt liberal that's butt hurting conservatives. Wow, like that never happens.

Hogoke Constitution
11/06/17 2:18 pm

It's not like it says "I pledge allegiance, to the US, to kill Jews and non whites."

Kyle5 TN
11/06/17 2:04 pm

He's an idiot.

Malekithe R lyeh
11/06/17 1:47 pm

Another fucking imbecile heard from

RussianThunder Russia and USA
11/06/17 1:45 pm

I view it as a way for the professor to say “I’m an ignorant, American hating, SJW and am giving you my personal opinion masked in the cloak advanced education. I’m a moron”.

missmorganmarie ...
11/06/17 1:45 pm

oh for fucks sake

CoffeeNow Fiery but peaceful rioter
11/06/17 12:27 pm

Personally I think the pledge is dumb and wouldn’t mind seeing it go away

That being said, I can’t even connect the dots from the professors comments to reality. He sounds like a crazy person

shygal47 Florida east coast
11/06/17 11:18 am

I’m surprised that an institution with the laurels of Bates College would allow this to go unchallenged.
The professor should be questioned as to why he lied and why he included in American Culture studies? Where is the Dean? Where are the financial supporters of Bates? It’s great if we all complain, but the leaders of the college need to make clear what and what will not be acceptable since they are a private college.
Fire his butt!

gluxford1 Arizona
11/06/17 11:50 am

Well said!

rons on top of the world MA
11/06/17 11:11 am

Leave the country would be my advice.

Robert97206 Portland Oregon
11/06/17 11:04 am

Clearly not true although I do want to hear the defense of what he said. Anybody with an alternative opinion want to elaborate on how the anthem correlates with white supremacy?

gluxford1 Arizona
11/06/17 10:47 am

I disagree with the second part.

Kamden popular revolt
11/06/17 10:52 am

It's really not that Orwellian. I don't what your experience was but we were never chastised for not saying it. I knew a kid who was Jehovahs Witness and always sat during it.

Finny Conservative Lesbian
11/06/17 11:06 am

Two things must be true for it to be Orwellian:
- destructive to the well-being of a free and open society
- misinformation, propaganda or denial of truth

The only time where it is mandated to say the pledge is in a private school that mandates it themselves
- it is an alternative and a choice to go to a private school; there is no force or compulsion.

In public schools it is illegal for a teacher is mandate a student stand / recite the pledge.
Thus, the pledge is not destructive to a free and open society.

The second notion, is it misinformation, propaganda or a denial of truth?

I'd argue the pledge is a commitment to a pursuit and an acknowledgement to those who fought in their own ways (government, activists, military, law enforcement, etc) to pursue it.
Thus, the second notion for it to be considered Orwellian is faulty as well.

bower8899 Gone, Probably Forgotten
11/06/17 11:28 am

I disagree. I think it is both those things.

A free and open society would have anybody pledge allegiance to the state.

And the pledge is definitely a hyperbole of what America is...we were saying it before we gave native Americans the right to vote

Finny Conservative Lesbian
11/06/17 11:53 am

I don't understand your argument

orgblu10 Shamerica
11/06/17 10:37 am

Just another ivory tower idiot with a platform. Sure, there's no culture war. Nothing to see here...

Okie1967 Defend the Police
11/06/17 10:36 am

Yet another example of the democrat anti-white agenda.

gluxford1 Arizona
11/06/17 10:46 am

Not only anti-white. Anti-American.

gluxford1 Arizona
11/06/17 10:30 am

His conclusion is 100% false. He's merely spouting propaganda. This anti-American leftist loony toon clearly isn't qualified to teach about American culture seeing as how he gets the basic facts wrong. He should find a new field of employment or better yet, find a new country. Bates College shouldn't have indoctrinators like him on their payroll either, no matter which ideology they promote.

mitchman399 Oregon
11/06/17 10:30 am

"Liberty and justice for all." Yeah really forwarding the white supremacist ideals there.

gluxford1 Arizona
11/06/17 10:32 am

Especially the "justice for all" part. It's scary how KKK-like that statement is. [sarcasm]