Show Of Hands February 28th, 2013 3:05pm

Will the sequester spending cuts impact you personally (job furlough, government benefit reduction, etc.)?

03/06/13 9:18 am

If there is pain felt by anyone from the sequester those affected should hold Obama and the Dems responsible. Fed revenues at all time, spending more after sequester than before, it was O's idea and he was playing golf instead of helping to fix the real issue.

03/06/13 9:20 am

Besides all that. The Fed posted 400 new job openings the Monday morning after the Sequester went into affect.

If you feel pain from this it is because you were the victim of Obama's back stabbing ways.

soulfighter
03/05/13 8:35 am

Everything is a chain reaction. To think 83 billion will not affect u is jus naive.

03/06/13 9:24 am

Yes, it is a ripple effect. We allow sequester to into effect showing the start of cutting spending and the DJIA closes at the highest point since before O took office.

Cut a full Trillion over the next three years and watch the economy skyrocket!

bigbadgarbear
03/03/13 9:50 pm

yes let's cut the major expensive programs, like military and Medicare which keep on growing and we can't afford and keep things we need like education and infrastructure. without gov. loans I'm not going to college and neither is anyone else who can't afford it's rising price

worsteva
03/03/13 4:43 pm

I don't know if anyone knows this but u realize that the army will be cutting 100,000 soldiers....the navy doesn't have money to fix the ships it has.....and Air Force will be cutting practically all training.....by 2015 army projects to be at pre 9-11 manning....defense budget cut has crippled us

Duke12
03/03/13 7:03 am

People, we are still spending $15 billion more this year than we did last year, I think we will be okay.

wright3f San Diego
03/03/13 3:10 am

All these comments make my head hurt. Apparently, there are so many that claim these govt workers "sit on their asses and do nothing". YET, it's OK for more money to go to those who literally do nothing. I'm so confused by the logic and cockiness of know-it-alls...

MindJedi
03/01/13 9:24 pm

Considering the amount of cuts that affect our defense sector, including intelligence and homeland defense, it may impact more of us than we think

leary Dulag Luft
03/02/13 10:08 am

We should take HSS's total budget. How about a nickname. Blue Shirts? Black Shirts? Brown Shirts! That's it!

funlover heart of it all
03/01/13 9:16 pm

As a federal employee we have been notified that we can expect a 14-30 day furlough, 8% cut in our budget, hiring freeze, travel freeze, purchasing freeze. And under the current continuing resolution we are out of money next week. Not affect you? You have got to be kidding!!!!!

memiata ohio
03/02/13 8:46 am

Then you should band together and find easier small ways to save money. Isn't that the point?

memiata ohio
03/02/13 8:49 am

A little here, a little there does start to add up to savings. We've all been doing just that. Now it's govt.s time.

leary Dulag Luft
03/02/13 9:59 am

The projected spending increase is reduced less than 2% and your budget is cut 8%. We're not all govt employees you'll have to do better than that.

honest
03/01/13 8:51 pm

It will affect no one unless government lets it. Cutting the budget doesn't always mean cutting people unless you aren't smart enough to think of other options. But Obama and congress are job creators, right? We should be fine if they cut people.

RedneckDriggers Confederacy
03/01/13 4:47 pm

It will help all of us finally Obama will have to stop with the spending outrage

ScrewU Gone
03/01/13 4:57 pm

Well, not really. The $85 bil cut is only a portion of this year's increase, and we passed a $60 bil emergency spending bill for Sandy that will mostly offset it. It's really business as usual.

barblibrarian
03/01/13 12:22 pm

Another question where if you answered no you don't understand the question.

nslam Texas
03/01/13 12:41 pm

I see your point since we've all benefited from the overspending. Maybe it's a matter of those who are most directly benefiting from it are those who will feel it first. Trickle-down belt-tightening.

thirdcoastkook
03/02/13 8:29 am

The government does not do anything for me but take my money and spend it on things that I don't even agree with.

cowboy Here and There
03/01/13 9:02 am

I haven't heard of any planes falling out of the sky today, so Obama lied again? What a shock...

TroubleInHeels Utah
03/01/13 7:46 am

I don't understand why we are cutting the hours of people that are willing to work for their money and not cutting back on the ones who aren't working for their money.

03/01/13 11:39 am

Because that would be a cold hearted capitalist solution that would only add to the gap between the 1% and the poor. <sarcasm>

The middle class that supported O will come to realize that it never was about them. O played them to get reelected and so he could play Robin Hood!

4RUSA
03/01/13 4:49 pm

That is what we don't understand - a 20% cut in pay for 800,000 people (and we are a family will have that 20% cut to our income) who ARE doing their job instead of cutting the PORK out of Washington DC is unbelievable! Who are these people and where is their common sense?

nslam Texas
03/01/13 7:34 am

The results of this sequester were supposed to be so bad that the two sides would HAVE to work together. That didn't happen. Does that mean that the results of working together would have been even worse???

anarchy GET OFF MY LAWN
03/01/13 7:26 am

Anybody on here that voted for obama and got furloughed: quite frankly, you deserve it. He directs the cuts, and he proposed and signed the sequester. We in the private sector have been dealing with his crap policies for 4.5 years. Your turn. I feel absolutely no pity for you & your lost wages.

mpullen
03/01/13 6:42 am

Look at that, the sky didn't fall, the sun still rose, and I am still breathing! Life goes on even with a reduction in spending!

ChazDean
03/01/13 6:18 am

The days of those once thought of as recession-proof cake government jobs are over. Good! Time to get off that nice wave you've been riding for years.

dailysugar
03/01/13 5:51 pm

"Cake government job"? Have you ever controlled the traffic of our airspace? Obviously not. The long hours, stress, and rotating shifts take a toll on one's health. But more than that, the people's flights are kept SAFE. Now there will be less controllers.. Plan on flying anytime soon?

DieFree Plano, TX
03/03/13 9:39 am

Daily sugar, Reagan fired every controller that went on strike, yet nothing happened.
Everyone in the private sector that has been paying for government jobs doesn't have much sympathy for you all, we've
have been dealing with king Obama giving away our money for 4 1/2 years.
Deal with!

ChazDean
03/01/13 6:10 am

I hope the low-information Obama voters, the public employee union members, teacher unions, city and county services all suck it as they get laid off. Thank your halfrican-American messiah for your mess.

funlover heart of it all
03/01/13 9:23 pm

I am using your comment to show my students a textbook example of bigotry and intolerance. For some reason I thought we were beyond this sort of rejoinder, but clearly we are not.

jstahl Build that wall
03/01/13 6:10 am

Looks like 25% of the Democrats can thank their President for this wonderful idea. Irony.

FastFusion nj
03/01/13 4:56 am

I worked in a government position for more than 20 years and have seen huge amounts of waste just on local levels. It is time for our government to tighten its belt everywhere. Time for them to take a hit. Politically connected lazy government employees should have to work just like private employee

saffi
03/01/13 7:58 pm

I get up at 4:30 and get home at 6:00 pm. I bust my rear all day and have no political connections. I am looking at a 20+ day furlough so that they don't have to take cuts in other programatic areas. Please don't talk about what you don't know.

funlover heart of it all
03/01/13 9:27 pm

Saffi is correct. Government employees and contractors are hard working extremely dedicated employees working without a raise for the 4th year now. Our thanks for serving you as best we can?mockery and misinformation. Walk in someone's shoes before you judge them.

thirdcoastkook
03/02/13 12:59 pm

Then ya"ll should welcome some time off.i don't know any government office open before 8 and open until 6.you must have a long commute or things to do before you get to work.plus the attitude you have to put up with when you do have to deal with government emloyees Really sucks.

03/01/13 4:52 am

Look people we are in deep $%#} if we cannot cut 2%. The Federal Gov spends $12K per capita, only 53% of the working capita pay taxes so you can roughly double the $12K burden per capita on tax paying citizens. So without cuts the burden on a tax paying person is $24K/ yr....

03/01/13 4:55 am

(Continued) the national average salary is roughly $27K

03/01/13 5:00 am

These are facts. You can google national average wages. The tax base is also a matter of public record. The spending per capita data is here.

www.usgovernmentspending.com/us_per_capita_spending.html

Someone please tell me how this level of spending is reasonable or sustainable!

jstahl Build that wall
03/01/13 6:13 am

I agree, we are in big trouble if we can't cut 2%, and it's not even current cuts, it is cuts in FUTURE GROWTH! The problem is, the cuts are concentrated to only a couple of areas to inflict the maximum pain, by design. Then they can say "see, cuts are too painful, we need to raise taxes again."

barblibrarian
03/01/13 12:25 pm

So will you be fine if 2% of your income is cut? A lot of people in the country are living paycheck to paycheck.

jstahl Build that wall
03/01/13 5:13 pm

Why does it have to be 2% of someone's income? There is plenty of waste and fraud that can be cut, and entire programs that can be cut. In fact, one of the programs the president said would be hurt hasn't existed for a year. And government workers make something like 20% more for the same jobs.

03/01/13 5:21 pm

Barb- I have had my take home pay cut and a whole lot more than 2%. All things added I am down about 8%.

If Obama cuts any body's pay they should take it out on the Dems. Sequestration was their idea, O has been absent from any deals and failed over 14 months to get the 2% from waste!

saffi
03/01/13 8:00 pm

Govt employees do not make 20% more than equivalent private sector jobs. That is simply not true. You are working from old and dubious data.

ziplock
03/01/13 1:55 am

Holy Crow! What if the U.S. stops paying its debts instead of its shipbuilders? This could be really bad for China's credit rating!

MrFred
03/01/13 12:31 am

Let me get this straight. Obama gets to play golf with Tiger and Michelle goes to to Oscars but there's not enough money to send the navy to the gulf or detain illegal aliens and federal workers get a pay cut and education gets slashed.

MrFred
03/01/13 12:33 am

POTUS has been out in public sounding the alarm but he has only had 7 min at the negotiating table. How is this not his fault?

03/01/13 4:35 am

That is the leadership, or "Hope", or "Change" or movement "Forward" that the 51% of our brain dead electorate voted for.

Yet no mention of cutting even the waste and fraud in food stamps, unemployment, disability, or Medicare/ Medicaid.

03/01/13 11:48 am

Besides O did make cuts. He cut out the weekly private concert series he started and he cut back by only firing a shotgun once for that photo op.

03/01/13 11:51 am

MrFred- his lack of attention to this problem cannot be because of all the time he spent meeting with his jobs counsel. One hour in 13 months!

The unemployed in America should be screaming for impeachment.

TreeHugs Oregon
02/28/13 11:26 pm

I am a federal employee and am told I will be put on furlough 1 or 2 days per pay period. I may have to (try to) cover two other positions that can't be filled because of the hiring freeze while taking a 10 or 20% cut in pay. This is happening everywhere. It WILL hurt the economy.

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
03/01/13 1:01 am

Maybe it's a symptom of a bigger problem. More substantial permanent cuts must be made.

thirdcoastkook
03/01/13 7:44 am

Welcome to the private sector

saffi
03/01/13 8:12 pm

With CRA hiring freeze the office I'm in is 40% vacant. My prog has been cut over 20%. We haven't even gotten to sequester. The govt is docking me pay, benefits, leave while telling me that productivity should not lapse. I make less money this year than I did last year in the same job.

saffi
03/01/13 8:13 pm

But we can send aid to Syria and the state dept is still hiring?? How do we explain these nuances to the American public?

DieFree Plano, TX
03/03/13 9:53 am

Welcome to the real world.
Own your own business then see if you complain about doing someone else's job.

shellybaxter1234 Peaceful Place
02/28/13 11:10 pm

Whether this will effect you first hand or not - it will effect you. It was designed to be so bad that it would force both sides to work together. That apparently didn't work

03/01/13 4:39 am

It is truly bad news for America when a 2% reduction in the growth of spending in each party's lobby groups is considered to so damning that no one in congress would dare to go there.

Fortunately the GOP has more backbone than POTUS have them credit for.

thinker2 nc
02/28/13 10:05 pm

The sequester is BS. These are NOT CUTS. It is a reduction in the increase in spending. Job losses and layoffs are scare tactics. This is ridiculous.

shellybaxter1234 Peaceful Place
02/28/13 10:45 pm

I think you are mistaken. My husband is a low level manager for a government agency. They will have to make actual cuts

thinker2 nc
02/28/13 11:36 pm

Look it up. Instead of increasing the budget by ~8.5% they are only increasing it by 5.5% and calling it a cut.

katia
02/28/13 9:32 pm

There is no "if" about it liberty4, we're out 22 days between now and September. Hope everyone is cool with about 100,000 military kids not having enough days to graduate. From England to Japan, all those kids of military members have to go to school somewhere and all the teachers are DOD.

katia
02/28/13 9:33 pm

Whoops, this was a reply for an earlier post.

Liberty 4,032,064
03/01/13 7:01 am

Correct but you are wrong if you blame the sequester increases. Any and all harm is done solely by bureaucrats and their tantrums.

Gunfighter
02/28/13 9:30 pm

The sequester is just the usual liberal fearmongering. No one will be effected.

thatguy81 here
02/28/13 9:28 pm

Fun fact for the day:

3/5 of federal spending is on entitlement programs.

G'nite!

veritas1 Panda
02/28/13 10:38 pm

Because giving people their own money back that they paid in payroll taxes is an "entitlement." Whatever you say.

thatguy81 here
02/28/13 10:50 pm

Oh, I didn't say it...USA Today did.

ChazDean
03/01/13 6:22 am

Or giving some of your money back to some elderly legal immigrant who's never worked a day in America in his or her life is rocking some free Medicaid or Medicare thanks to the hard working American.

03/01/13 11:57 am

Veritas- your point may cover the previously working unemployed but neglects to address a single recipient of the other programs (welfare, food stamps, Medicaid, the explosion in disability claims, Gov backed home refinances, etc.). As a taxpayer I deserve my money too!

bnnt Los Angeles
02/28/13 9:22 pm

All of the roads will be removed from all of Los Angeles and there will be no money to send Bruce Willis to space to stop a meteorite from crashing into the earth. And the Internet won't have any space left for cat videos.

It's the end of the world!!!!

RayX quit
02/28/13 9:16 pm

How many IRS agents are getting cut back?

bnnt Los Angeles
02/28/13 9:24 pm

Too bad they don't fire more IRS employees. They always go for teachers first just to hold the kids hostage.

pashn4rshn Virginia
02/28/13 8:39 pm

IF it goes thru w/o last minute shenanigans, then it won't be a single pebble thrown in a pond. It'll be a handful of rocks and pebbles thrown in a pond.

pashn4rshn Virginia
02/28/13 8:38 pm

I do venture to say we're all going to feel it more than you realize. To think we don't live in an interconnected world is really the problem most don't want to realize.

RayX quit
02/28/13 8:35 pm

I'd like to discuss part time work with somebody that just got furrowed one day a week. It probably wouldn't pay what they lost but who knows where it might lead.

bigdaddy1 Nashville
02/28/13 8:43 pm

Haha too bad I'm not in Texas

RayX quit
02/28/13 8:50 pm

BigDad: The point is that there are a lot of business in this booming economy that would do the patriotic thing an hire a part time well qualified employee that already has health care. There should be a means to get you and the right company together.

bigdaddy1 Nashville
02/28/13 8:58 pm

My family owns a music store here in Nashville. So I will make it work. The point of it is we as Federal Employees with a contract with the Government shouldn't hear this happen. But they can do what they want anyways hahaha!!

bigdaddy1 Nashville
02/28/13 8:59 pm

But I do appreciate you for your support. If there is a military base, reserve center, or national guard armory around you...... You could probably find some help lol

JustAGirl
02/28/13 8:24 pm

I am losing 20% of my pay. That means less taxes (local state and federal), less in tips bc I won't be eating out, less products and services I will be buying, less I will be saving, less I will be spending in my local economy! I have hardly any debt, no car payment, that 20% is disposable income.

JustAGirl
02/28/13 8:24 pm

But hey these cuts won't impact the private sector right??? Insert sarcastic font!! Lol

bigdaddy1 Nashville
02/28/13 8:27 pm

Same here. 20% gone income gone. Won't be spending money that I don't have to.

thirdcoastkook
02/28/13 8:30 pm

Well we got that pay cut awhile back in the private sector..

jacmcmaho
02/28/13 7:58 pm

My dad who has been in the military most his life is being forced to take one unpaid day off a week so he his essentially getting a 20% pay decrease, that is ridiculous and it should be the politicians taking the cut not the military

JustAGirl
02/28/13 8:05 pm

I heard the military isn't being furloughed, but that they are exempt. If he's a civilian working on a military base then he's fair game. Would be nice to have everyone no the same page. I am a DoD Civ and getting furloughed .

RayX quit
02/28/13 8:07 pm

Yes, ridiculous and unnecessary. They aren't cutting 20% and they could have just cut travel costs and other expenses. They are obviously picking on your dad for a reason.

JollyMan93 Big Sky Guy
02/28/13 8:08 pm

I'm pretty sure it's only federal workers who are taking a 20% decrease. It's disgusting either way it's even happening while politicians get a raise and the First Lady is wearing $9,000 dollar dresses!

jacmcmaho
02/28/13 8:10 pm

It's not just him him along with 30 other guys regardless that's not the place for cuts..... And one day a week without pay comes to 20% correct me if I'm wrong

JollyMan93 Big Sky Guy
02/28/13 8:16 pm

My moms work for the government for over 30 years now balancing the budget from the medical area to SPAWAR. It's not fair or right to her and many others loosing 20% of their pay!!! It's not right one but while congress got a raise

JustAGirl
02/28/13 8:16 pm

J. It's actually over slight 20% bc insurance premiums are fixed. You will have less time (20% less hours to cover those fixed costs)

JustAGirl
02/28/13 8:19 pm

RayX. I'm DoD, all non essential travel has been suspended. All essential travel has to be pre approved. Granted that's just Navy, I'm sure other branches have taken the same measures. Congress and the WH clearly haven't!

RayX quit
02/28/13 8:25 pm

Girl: That seems prudent just like any struggling business would have to do. I wish Congress and the White House would take a hint. If Obama would vacation at Camp David instead of Hawaii, Spain, South America... it could put a lot of folks back to work one day a week.

frostedchalk warehouse 13
02/28/13 7:54 pm

Nothing will happen this is a scare tatic does anyone remember that at the beginning of the year your s.s tax went up 2% and it wasn't catastrophic to the government but them cutting 2% of their spending is going to destroy jobs, ground planes, and teachers will lose their jobs. Give me a break.

frostedchalk warehouse 13
02/28/13 7:54 pm

We are expected to cut our spending because of a tax increase and they can't cut theirs? Wtf.

kube
02/28/13 9:05 pm

It is social security that went up 2%. That increases your social security benefit in the end. 20% will hurt local economies and be very stressful for many families living paycheck to paycheck. Not to mention lower gov services, including national defense.

chemist2016
02/28/13 7:46 pm

Idk maybe I would have to look into it

RCM
02/28/13 7:45 pm

Will not impact me...I actually have a great high paying job in the private sector that actually contributes to the growth of the economy and our great nation! So cut away...cut, cut, cut, cut! The government is to big and obese anyway. Michelle O should be working to trim that rather than children.

bigdaddy1 Nashville
02/28/13 8:09 pm

Well good for you!! My job is getting cut and I contribute to the protection of our country, and give you the ability to have your high paying job.

JustAGirl
02/28/13 8:20 pm

You don't know much about government contracting with that type of statement! Just saying.

thirdcoastkook
02/28/13 8:25 pm

@bd thanks for you're service.we need to take back the government for (We the people) and stop this bullshit they are feeding us.

bigdaddy1 Nashville
02/28/13 8:30 pm

I agree TCK. People need to wake up and see the whole picture, not just their own little worlds.

duey in a fools paradise
02/28/13 7:27 pm

I can't wait until we all wake up a month from now and oh my god nothing happened! This is a lot of posturing by a corrupt regime that couldn't lead if it had been predetermined and put on a teleprompter.

bigdaddy1 Nashville
02/28/13 8:10 pm

Lets all hope so, but that doesn't change the fact that as of now I'm looking at a 20% cut while our politicians are enjoying their raises.

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
02/28/13 7:24 pm

Maybe the federal government shouldn't be so entwined in the economy. Last I checked the percentage isn't all that much.

Total economic collapse is on the horizon, likely within my lifetime.

thatguy81 here
02/28/13 7:29 pm

I sure hope so

At least I invested in lead

RayX quit
02/28/13 7:31 pm

When I was working on my MBA in 1978 my economics professor predicted the dollar would be replaced with a new currency. I think he was way ahead of his time.

thatguy81 here
02/28/13 7:34 pm

They have been secretly talking about the Amero for quite some time. But that would require an EU type deal with Canada, us and Mexico

kermie gaytopia
02/28/13 7:37 pm

So secretly that you know all about it?

bigdaddy1 Nashville
02/28/13 8:11 pm

Where do you think all the jobs that the Presidents, not just Obama, increase?

thatguy81 here
02/28/13 9:30 pm

I say secretly relatively. The news stopped reporting it in prime time. Check it out for yourself, don't take my word

JustAGirl
03/01/13 4:13 am

2025! That's the year the CBO gave when spending on just entitlements and interest on debts exceed revenues.

lagg
02/28/13 7:15 pm

I have no idea if and how it will affect me

JustAGirl
03/01/13 4:15 am

It will considering about 25% of Virginia's working population is employed by the Fed. Another decent % are contractors. Just follow that as you will. My brother owns a restaurant outside a base, he is very aware what this will do to his business!

thatguy81 here
02/28/13 7:13 pm

Are people really scared that food inspectors will "loose" their jobs??

How about you grow your own food? Or buy at farmers markets?

"Whaaaaa? I can't grow a bigmac."

Jackasses

JollyMan93 Big Sky Guy
02/28/13 7:17 pm

It's not just food inspectors, it's budget analyst for national security to balance budgets within that bureaucracy like SPAWAR for instance, department of defense, it trickles down and the ones who need to take a pay cut is the president, congress, and also shrimp and gold fish we fund for instance

thatguy81 here
02/28/13 7:24 pm

You realize that nothing is actually going to happen right? This isn't even a cut. It's a reduction of an increase.

Rosebud Ohio
02/28/13 7:36 pm

Actually, you can grow a big Mac. It tastes better.... And is so much better for you! I made one the other day, including homemade sauce. The actual big Mac makes me sick, but this burger was amazing!

stinkypete In the Sky
02/28/13 7:37 pm

I disagree slightly. Here on Fort Bragg (@armynco) we have had a 33% cut in budget across the board with some less than others. My unit is 26% because we are the riggers and kind of the backbone for division but 30% less money means 30% less training and 30% cut in Air Force flying hours.

stinkypete In the Sky
02/28/13 7:40 pm

Which means 30% less jumps here. It's a lot! 24,500 less chutes over a 8 mo period really hurts readiness overall. Schools that are TDY are now scrutinized. We cannot send anyone with out BDE Cdr approval. It's trickling down to us and affecting day to day ops here

JollyMan93 Big Sky Guy
02/28/13 7:58 pm

@ stinky the regular civilians just don't seem to understand
It trickles down to the little guys like us in the gov sector

thatguy81 here
02/28/13 9:31 pm

And magically we made it though the 80's cuts and the 90's cuts.

The wheels of the Army will always turn, they just won't be plated gold anymore.

stinkypete In the Sky
02/28/13 9:38 pm

You're right. They will always turn but the question is will the cuts impact you directly. My answer is yes they do impact me and they are sizable cuts.

02/28/13 7:04 pm

Maxine Watters ( may be the only person on the planet more ignorant than Biden and Pelosi) tried scaring people today saying that the sequester would result in 170 million layoffs. There are only 150 Million Americans employed.

Can you lay off a welfare recipient?

bigdaddy1 Nashville
02/28/13 7:07 pm

I wish you could. Lol. Decrease welfare and let people that want to work, work.

thirdcoastkook
02/28/13 7:13 pm

She is probly talkn about all the foreign government"s we support.

tommysq Chicagoland
02/28/13 6:40 pm

I voluntarily furloughed myself one day a pay period. Enjoy your life, work is overrated.

blitzlicht
02/28/13 6:40 pm

I'm confused as to why Obama proposed this and is now against it happening. And why in the hell would you cut food inspectors when there are tons of other things ( useless) that we can cut?

cookE Being Hated
02/28/13 6:27 pm

Worst part is the 20% that are being affected are in some way providing a service to benefit the other 80%

bigt1010
02/28/13 6:29 pm

Yes sir, teachers for one

bigdaddy1 Nashville
02/28/13 6:31 pm

People do not realize how many jobs will be affected. It's a snowball. If it happens, and hope it doesn't, it will be seen more by some than others. Areas with a large military presence will of course be affected more.

tommysq Chicagoland
02/28/13 6:36 pm

Teachers are not government employees.

cookE Being Hated
02/28/13 6:40 pm

Almost a good point Tommy, they are state government employees, and payed by state taxes, however... The state get money to build schools, get books and computers and stuff like that from, FEDERAL GRANTS.

tommysq Chicagoland
02/28/13 7:01 pm

The only teachers that are state employees in Illinois are those that teach at state universities. A very very small percentage.

02/28/13 7:07 pm

How can there be layoffs? We are talking about reducing the growth in spending. Fed spending from 2012 to 2013 was projected to grow at 3.5%. Now it can only grow at 1%. How can that result in layoffs, furloughs and uninspected food?

bigdaddy1 Nashville
02/28/13 7:14 pm

I wish I knew. I can only talk about what I know in DoD. We are being cut back to 32 hours a week for 22 weeks, as of now.

1111111 Wayne
02/28/13 7:22 pm

I would guess that they spent that growth money before they had it, so now they have to cut existing budget items and for some reason they chose you salary.

cookE Being Hated
02/28/13 7:24 pm

The 3.5% is there to allow for inflation, now the government has to do what the citizens are forced to do, live with inflation, and not cost of living increase in pay