Show Of Hands November 5th, 2017 1:58am

How many times do you normally hit the snooze button in the morning?

0 1 2 3 4 5+

goatfin Portland
11/17/17 8:22 am

I don’t wake up until 4-5pm so hitting snooze buttons in the morning while I’m still awake makes very little sense.

LazySteelworker USA
11/07/17 9:23 am

As many times as it is necessary for me to be ready to face the day. Technically I don't hit the snooze but that's because I have 3 alarms set in 5 minute intervals lol

06/14/19 9:57 pm

I know I’m late to this party...just found this poll when searching for the new one about the snooze button, but wanted to tell you this:

When I was working outside the home, I would OFTEN hit the snooze button MULTIPLE times without realizing it. I literally had to put the clock across the room so that I would have to walk to turn it off, to keep myself awake long enough to realize I was doing it.

I didn’t realize until over a decade later that this is actually a CLASSIC symptom of one of the rare sleep disorders that I was diagnosed with.

If you have to do this every morning, I HIGHLY recommend that you have a sleep study done! It has literally changed my life being on a med that helps.

FameO
11/06/17 10:37 pm

What an evil button. It's like a diet with a keep eating button

ronderman North Carolina
11/06/17 5:27 pm

I can't remember the last time I woke up with an alarm.

CrazDab Florida
11/06/17 4:47 am

None. Get up and go go πŸƒ

runningman02 New York
11/05/17 8:07 pm

I purposely set my alarm an hour ahead of when i have to wake up (8 min between alarms, i hit it about 7 times)

06/14/19 9:57 pm

TxCross44 Texas
11/05/17 5:33 pm

I just ignore them in sleep and then wake up five hours realizing I slept through my alarms and then run off to school...

arctostaphylos Ankh Morpork, New York
11/05/17 2:46 pm

On days that I set alarms, I set about 5 to 10, and apparently I snooze a lot of them.

06/14/19 9:58 pm

ItsWedMyDudes
11/05/17 12:25 pm

I set my alarm as late as possible so I can't snooze or else I'll be late. I heard it's bad for you anyway... But it's the time of the year where it's pitch black when I wake up and makes me feel even worse :/

unforgivnn
11/05/17 11:01 am

2-3 times most mornings. I am very much not a morning person. I'm a night owl. 😊

katerina13 where I should be
11/05/17 12:54 pm

Me too! It takes a few snoozes to get me cognitively functioning. I’m one if those people that if I don’t snooze a few times, who knows what I’d brush my teeth with!

06/14/19 9:58 pm

katerina13 where I should be
06/14/19 10:02 pm

I read about putting the clock across the room about 30 years ago. I did it for a while, but I got to where I would get up, hit the snooze, go right back to bed, and be asleep before the alarm went off again. I figured if I was gonna do that, the clock may as well be by the bed. Lol!

06/14/19 10:09 pm

Yes, I would sometimes do that as well. But you really should see about a sleep study...this is a CLASSIC sign of a sleep disorder!

mfjd1948 rural johnson co iowa
11/05/17 10:45 am

Zero I don't trust the snooze, also I found I felt worse after ten minutes than if I got up right away.

simpsonsmomma Topeka
11/05/17 10:11 am

I work evenings and during the day I care for my toddler. In the morning my little one is my alarm clock.

AmericanWolf For the Benefit of All
11/05/17 9:51 am

I use an Amazon Echo for my alarm clock, which means shouting "Alexa, snooze!" across the room two or three times every morning.

katerina13 where I should be
11/05/17 12:51 pm

Another reason I don’t need one. I just hit the button. Hell, I’m not even functional enough to put together the cognitive thought to say that before a few snoozes. No telling what I’d tell Alexa. Fuck off, maybe???

06/14/19 9:59 pm

AmericanWolf For the Benefit of All
06/14/19 11:59 pm

Back when I still used a normal alarm clock, I would hit the snooze button every morning. It got to the point where I was snoozing for thirty to forty minutes (hitting the button three or four times) before finally getting up. It simply didn't work when I set it to wake me up when I actually wanted to be up. I consider the Echo an improvement because talking out loud seems to take just enough mental capacity to start the wake up process.

I only hit snooze without being conscious of it a handful of times. That said, I've had this doubt in the back of my head that I might have some sort of undiagnosed sleeping disorder. I find myself falling asleep no matter how well rested I am after a little less than an hour of sitting still. I've thought about getting it checked, but I'm not sure what would be involved. Could you tell me how it was for you?

I'm twenty, if that helps.

06/15/19 12:05 am

When I was a teenager, my mom would have to wake me up repeatedly every morning. She would wake me up and I’d come eat breakfast, then fall back asleep. Then she’d wake me up, and I’d dress, then fall back asleep. Then she’d wake me up and I’d put on my makeup and do my hair and fall back asleep until time for the bus.

Then, on a bus with fiberglass seats, no padding, with kids 4 to a seat, and standing packed like sardines down the aisle, on rutted dirt roads with one lane runner bridges, I’d fall asleep and sleep all the way to school. Once I got to school and HAD to function, I could, but sometimes fell asleep in classes if I didn’t have work to do. Then I’d do the same thing on the bus on the way home from work.

As an adult, if I had to sit still to do work, I had to FIGHT to keep myself awake. Later, as an adult, I had to put the alarm clock across the room.

06/15/19 12:05 am

2) See if this describes you. If it does, I’ll give you the link to the article about it, and you can do more research online. The test to find out if you have this is the MSLT.

“Those who suffer from idiopathic hypersomnia have recurring episodes of excessive daytime sleepiness (EDS). These occur in spite of "adequate, or more typically, extraordinary sleep amounts (e.g., greater than 10 hours per night)."

Sleep is usually deep, with significant difficulty arousing from sleep, even with use of several alarm clocks. In fact, patients with IH often must develop elaborate rituals to wake, as alarm clocks and even physical attempts by friends/family to wake them may fail.

06/15/19 12:06 am

3) Despite getting more hours of sleep than typically required by the human body, patients awake unrefreshed and may also suffer sleep inertia, known more descriptively in its severe form as sleep drunkenness (significant disorientation upon awakening).

Daytime naps are generally very long (up to several hours) and are also unrefreshing, as opposed to the short refreshing naps associated with narcolepsy. Sleep paralysis and hypnagogic hallucinations may also occur, as well as motor hyper-reactivity.”

Btw, before I was diagnosed, every morning, when I woke up, I felt like a TRAIN had run over me. I had never woken refreshed in my life, and could sleep up to 18 hours a day and still not be refreshed.

AmericanWolf For the Benefit of All
06/15/19 12:30 am

That sounds somewhat accurate. I've noticed major improvements now that the earliest I wake up in college is 7:15 (and 9:15 or later on most days of the week) instead of 5:45 like in high school. I don't hit snooze very often anymore, partially because my roommate never wakes up after me and I don't want to disturb him, but I still need at least 45 minutes to get ready because I'm so tired when I first wake up.

I take midday naps frequently and they usually don't help much. Even more so if I don't have anything I absolutely have to do. I struggle to stay away in classes that are just lectures, which is why I sometimes take my phone or a notepad out just so I have something minimally distracting to do with my hands.

Over the summer or breaks in high school, I used to be in bed for upwards of sixteen hours on some days. Always slept on the bus and in class more than I care to admit, despite being an otherwise great student. Again, it's better now, but not perfect.

AmericanWolf For the Benefit of All
06/15/19 12:32 am

So yeah, not sure that fits perfectly, but enough lines up that I would love more information. The biggest difference for me is that I've never been a heavy sleeper. It's not like I'm up at the drop of a hat, but my former roommate woke me up moving around the room nearly every morning.

Thank you for your help. I've been putting off getting it checked by a medical professional for years because I wasn't sure if the symptoms were enough to be significant, but I think it might be worth it now.

AmericanWolf For the Benefit of All
06/15/19 12:37 am

The 'elaborate rituals' thing really hit home. I have a whole routine in the morning of things that help me to wake up. The usual stuff like stretches and water in the face are a part of it, obviously, but I also need to do a few mental tasks to be actually functional. I've taken to either playing a quick round of chess on my phone or reading a news story out loud to myself. If I haven't woken up naturally (without an alarm clock), I usually need to do something like that to hurry along the process of actually being awake enough to function and not fall asleep again.

06/15/19 12:38 am

That sounds almost exactly like my life! Here is the article I got that from:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiopathic_hypersomnia

If this sounds like you, I would suggest doing some more research on both IH and narcolepsy, if you have ever fallen asleep in the middle of a convo with someone or while driving, etc. But I’m leaning toward IH.

Then, you need to get a doctor’s appointment with a pulmonologist (lung specialist...but they’re the ones that specialize in sleep disorders as well). Ask him to not only do an overnight sleep study, but also an MSLT (multi sleep latency test).

06/15/19 12:38 am

2) This is where they can diagnose this disorder. After you spend the night for the regular sleep study, they have you stay the next day, until early afternoon. They wake you up and you have to stay awake for so long and then they have you take a nap and test to see how quickly you fall asleep, then they wake you up and repeat this cycle several times. It’s VERY hard to do if you have a condition like this because all you want to do is go back to bed, and it’s hard to stay awake.

06/15/19 12:43 am

Here is another site, with some additional symptoms:

rarediseases.info.nih.gov/diseases/8737/idiopathic-hypersomnia

Do you have foggy thinking? In the mornings, do you feel like you have the flu, aching all over, etc.?

Also, I can give you a recommendation for a medicine that has really helped me, if you go so far as to have a sleep study done.

tokala
11/05/17 9:51 am

Zero, I usually wake up before the alarm goes off.

timeout Boston Strong
11/05/17 9:08 am

Well I’m retired but when I was working I almost always woke up before the alarm went off, I never slept past the alarm.

Maynard Londor
11/05/17 8:58 am

I don't understand you people who snooze. You're not actually getting any better sleep and it's just an excuse to not get out of bed? Why not set your alarm for when you wake up and you will actually get better sleep (or at least longer)?

katerina13 where I should be
11/05/17 12:49 pm

I don’t just ‘wake up.’ It takes a while and several tries to get my brain to start functioning. People are different. Their brains work differently.

annc5601
11/07/17 9:32 pm

I have low blood pressure. If I jumped out of bed immediately after the alarm goes, I'd pass out

katerina13 where I should be
11/07/17 9:54 pm

Oh no, ann! I have it, too, but only when I stand up sometimes.

Maynard Londor
11/09/17 4:42 pm

I'll give you that. Ha my problem is if I don't get up, I will fall back asleep. And I feel more tired doing the whole snooze thing.

katerina13 where I should be
11/09/17 5:49 pm

My husband is more like you Maynard. He won’t even take a nap during the day (unless he’s sick), bc he feels worse waking up from it for the rest of the day.

Maynard Londor
11/10/17 1:18 pm

Ha I'm the same way. Just not meant to snooze.

06/14/19 10:00 pm

badattitude no place like home
11/05/17 8:51 am

I don't hit the snooze. I get up and get going. My wife makes me crazy. She will hit the snooze 5 times for an hour. She could get an hour more sleep and just get up when she really needs to get up. But no. I could get an hour more sleep but I have to listen to that crap. Good thing I usually have to get up before her.

06/14/19 10:00 pm

wolfsong Full time animal lover
11/05/17 8:36 am

I deliberately set my alarm to 6:30 instead of 7 so I can wake up slowly and snooze 4 times

06/14/19 10:01 pm

gonzoboy Arizona
11/05/17 8:35 am

What "snooze button"?...

drself Gated Community
11/05/17 7:58 am

I don’t set an alarm, therefore no snooze button is needed.

badattitude no place like home
11/05/17 8:48 am

When did you retire? I'm almost there

shygal47 Florida east coast
11/05/17 7:43 am

I don’t work so unless I have an early appt I don’t use an alarm daily. When I do use one I have to set it for an hour earlier than needed because I automatically slap the button to wake me up again - over and over again. I am NOT a morning person.

06/14/19 10:01 pm

shygal47 Florida east coast
06/15/19 8:09 am

I have 2 alarm clocks. One across the room in the bedroom and another one in the kitchen. I can stumble and snooze one and the other is far enough away I can cover my head with a pillow.
... I hate mornings

06/15/19 11:47 am

Are you really groggy waking up and it’s almost like you’re drunk? If so, I can send you info about one of the sleep disorders I have, if you’re interested.

06/15/19 12:12 pm

Idiopathic Hypersomnia:

06/15/19 12:12 pm

2) Despite getting more hours of sleep than typically required by the human body, patients awake unrefreshed and may also suffer sleep inertia, known more descriptively in its severe form as sleep drunkenness (significant disorientation upon awakening).

If any of this rings a bell, I can tell you about what it was like for me, as well.

06/15/19 7:18 pm

I HIGHLY recommend that you go to a pulmonologist, explain all this to him, and ask him to do not only an overnight sleep study, but ALSO, the most important part....an MSLT the next day. Here is some info:

www.hypersomniafoundation.org/about-idiopathic-hypersomnia/

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiopathic_hypersomnia

rarediseases.info.nih.gov/diseases/8737/idiopathic-hypersomnia

www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hypersomnia/symptoms-causes/syc-20362332

Also, if you get so far as making an appointment, message me and I will tell you about the med I’m on that has changed my life for the better!

FATSHADOW Cyborg Gorilla
11/05/17 6:55 am

I have not set an alarm since Bush was in office.

I just wake up between 44-415 every morning.

Emily33 North Carolina
11/05/17 6:33 am

None. When it goes off, I get up.

Liberty Lets Use Logic
11/05/17 5:42 am

None. I set it for when I want to get up.

tmtoo Daydreams and Nightmares
11/05/17 5:40 am

I don't usually use an alarm unless I take a nap before work. I don't usually snooze it, if anything I set a new alarm.

RNJen Bay Area USA
11/05/17 3:35 am

It’s 2:34 AM I don’t need an alarm clock, I usually wake up several times on my own

EarlyBird Portland
11/05/17 1:30 am

I’ve never had an alarm clock.

Isomax TIC TOC
11/05/17 1:41 am

The same here

katerina13 where I should be
11/05/17 12:45 pm

Hence, your user name. Haha! I’m not a morning person at all.

Redwallr hyrule
11/05/17 12:25 am

I never used to, but lately Ive been finding more instances where I give myself a half an hour. Almost tempted to just change my alarm.

NexusBlue California
11/04/17 11:22 pm

I hate that button.
Set it for when you need to get up....and GET UP.
I guess I'm in the minority.

NexusBlue California
11/04/17 11:25 pm

Or maybe not.
I just checked the results!

katerina13 where I should be
11/05/17 12:44 pm

People are different. I can’t just wake up. It takes several tries for me to get awake most days. There are times where I’m just awake, but not usually.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
11/04/17 10:35 pm

I automatically just hit the off switch on the alarm

orgblu10 Shamerica
11/04/17 9:58 pm

Sometimes once, usually not at all.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
11/04/17 9:32 pm

I️ hate getting up! Regardless of how long I️ have slept... I️ set multiple alarms.

bartman71 USW
11/04/17 10:33 pm

My wife does this. Drives me crazy. Almost literally kicking her out of the bed, to get it to stop.

TheSpookyGhost paleoconservative
11/05/17 1:49 am

Lol, I set up alarms at 5 minute intervals for at least an hour.

06/14/19 10:03 pm

swervin Maryland
11/04/17 9:27 pm

None. The idea of a snooze button pisses me off. Why not set your alarm for the time you have to get up? Why set it early and then press snooze?

Korosensei Maine
11/04/17 9:31 pm

At least for me I find it easier to wake up if I have a bit of build up to waking up

swervin Maryland
11/04/17 9:44 pm

I would rather have that extra time to sleep than to set it early just to go back to sleep for a few minutes and then wake up. That would just aggravate me.

Korosensei Maine
11/04/17 9:49 pm

Well I don’t actually go back to sleep I just lie in bed and rest I find it helps me wake up

06/14/19 10:03 pm

SHIPPY1944 Tn.
11/04/17 9:21 pm

I’m retired, I never use the snooze button, I sleep late or get up early, whenever I feel like itπŸ‘πŸ»

katerina13 where I should be
11/04/17 9:21 pm

I tried the thing where you put the alarm across the room, so you have to get up to turn it off. I was still hitting the snooze button about 3 times, getting back in bed and going back to sleep. I finally said, wtf!, put the alarm back by the bed and continued my 3 snooze a day habit.

06/14/19 10:04 pm

Attikai Oregon
11/04/17 9:05 pm

I haven't used an alarm for years. Wouldn't have it any other way.

brisket Illinois
11/04/17 9:10 pm

My body knows when to get up anyways

ConservativeCA Joe Biden is barely alive
11/04/17 9:02 pm

Check the income filters. Not a coincidence

LazySteelworker USA
11/07/17 9:27 am

Not a coincidence that they're basically the same regardless of income?

Malekithe Cities on flame
11/04/17 8:55 pm

Never. Usually wake before the alarm anyway

IEatzCookies Look at my pfp
11/04/17 8:50 pm

I don't press it at all. I just turn my alarm off out of rage and frustration and go back to bed anyway.

katerina13 where I should be
11/04/17 9:17 pm

I thought your Mom woke you up! 😁

Zod Above Pugetropolis
11/04/17 8:46 pm

It doesn’t make sense to set the alarm any earlier than absolutely necessary, so there is no time for snoozing when it goes off. It's either time to get up or it isn’t. If it is, I do, and if it isn’t, the alarm shouldn’t be going off yet.

wolfsong Full time animal lover
11/05/17 8:48 am

No. I have problems with insomnia and waking up when I sleep and if school allowed me to, I'd sleep until
3pm every day. I have to set it earlier to snooze because if I don't, I'll feel so exhausted that I can't even think until 30 minutes later, which is when I need to leave. When I set it earlier, it allows me to wake up slowly and actually be able to put my shoes on the right feet.

makem Not dead yet
11/04/17 8:44 pm

I've been missing my morning Differential Equations class in the morning for the last few weeks. My saving grace is that the professor can't teach anyway. I don't know why, but I've been sleeping through my alarms. I have 3 loud, annoying alarms that go off for 15 minutes at a time, yet I haven't been waking up recently.

makem Not dead yet
11/04/17 9:36 pm

Maybe. I'm not sure what could be wrong though.

06/14/19 10:04 pm

Okie1967 Defend the Police
11/04/17 8:42 pm

I don’t use an alarm. I go to work when I wake up.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
11/04/17 9:33 pm

That would be nice!

erchinator Colorado
11/04/17 8:42 pm

None. But if I nap I will hit it several times.

kube
11/04/17 8:39 pm

So ashamed...sometimes more than 3. Oh well, everyone has their vices...

06/14/19 10:05 pm

Andrew99911 Where is the Source
11/04/17 8:37 pm

I set my alarm clock 10 minutes back so that I can hit it once.