Show Of Hands April 18th, 2012 12:00am

Do you currently receive any direct financial assistance through the government (social security, unemployment, medicare, subsidized student loan, etc.)? (UserQ)

jimmie Missouri
04/28/12 9:24 pm

The only money people should get from the govt is for veterans and tax returns

meowmix26
04/22/12 6:19 pm

OASDI (Old-Age Survivors and Disability INSURANCE)

lizrox California
04/22/12 8:26 am

thats right, the american people IS screwed, a play on words..

lizrox California
04/22/12 8:26 am

there should be 0 people over 50,000 getting aid from the government. one reason why the economy is screwed up, the american public is screwed up.

ntvtxn62
04/21/12 9:19 pm

Looking at the results you'd think 75% of folks were smart & wanted lower taxes- but then you remember that most democrats are voting party- NOT job performance. Most democrats are still blaming George W- not the person in charge now.

hbbhb Pennsylvania
04/21/12 8:31 pm

Democrats have a higher percentage than republicans... Hmmmm..

mrcoyote Casa Grande
04/21/12 6:41 pm

Social security til im 18. Which is only 3 months

ohmyyy
04/21/12 11:17 am

word entitlement program when we were not given a choice and have an investment in these programs. so for the good of the country we should just walk away?

ohmyyy
04/21/12 11:15 am

Wait, so you are saying that Medicare and Soc.Sec. that we had no choice to pay into all of our lives is gov assistance. well that's Ok, I have difficulty with the wordentitlement.

DuckAndCower
04/21/12 11:11 am

I think many of you don't realize why your student loan rates are so low compared to other loans...

Zack100 Tatooine
04/21/12 7:57 am

My high school is paying 10,000 bucks of my tuition for me to go there but I have to work 100 hours of community service (which is easy)

9Vols
04/21/12 7:27 am

Your correct WEALLHAVE1! If people take the EIC, etc, they're part of the system; Gov't is a deep seeded parasite. I would say the poll numbers are exactly opposite of reality; and the scary thing is, 80% don't realize it.

jeezcrow
04/20/12 6:39 pm

I'm curious as to who these 9% of people making over a quarter million are and how they qualify for financial assistance. I make less than a tenth of that and don't need it.

yankeesfan
04/20/12 2:19 pm

How can someone with an iPhone/iPad/droid recieve financial aid? Serious question, I'm not making fun or trying to offend but I'm curious

Comet? Tennessee
04/20/12 1:17 pm

@SD70MAC. I am a SD40-2 lover. How r u today?

04/20/12 5:59 am

...that qualify do not know it.
We are encouraging more people to apply! Ugh.

04/20/12 5:58 am

I would put social security and student loans in a different category of assistance since the recipients either have paid or will pay their own way.

Also had to share, despite being broke CA is running radio ads advertising the new food stamp program. The ad actually tells you that many people...

snafu Washington
04/20/12 12:46 am

@veritas Parents should provide for meals for those children, people are depending too much on the government to provide everything for them and it's creating a population of lazy self entitled pricks.

snafu Washington
04/20/12 12:43 am

Nope. I'm healthy and still young. If I run into financial problems I'll get a second job.
Welfare was meant to be a safety net not a hammock. (Read this somewhere and I think it's the best way to describe it)

shellbellgb
04/20/12 12:38 am

I wouldn't have been able to go to college without it. :)

veritas1 Panda
04/19/12 9:52 pm

@weallhave1 HOW DARE CHILDREN GET FED!!!!! Sickening. I know. You know your country truly has become a communist state when it's schools actually FEED their children. Absolutely deplorable. The founders would be ASHAMED of this. Fed children?! Ha! Unconstitutional I say!

lisalashe
04/19/12 9:27 pm

Just graduated from school (paying back those subsidized loans now) and finally found a job (off unemployment too), I voted NO (YAY)!!!

hrblock Texas
04/19/12 9:13 pm

Social Security is not "assistance.". It's earned and paid on our own throughout the years of working.

weallhave1 Tennessee
04/19/12 8:15 pm

Don't forget the "Earned Income Tax Credit," free lunch at school, attending public schools including universities, and many other subsidies.

AnnieM The Island
04/19/12 8:01 pm

And without a prognosis of "lifelong debilitating disability/injury" the govt thinks you're a faker out for a free paycheck. Thanks to the handful of cheats that have come before, all of us that genuinely need the help are left being forced to move a beaurocratic mountain.

AnnieM The Island
04/19/12 7:59 pm

I don't, but I probably will in the not-too-distant future given that I am unable to work due to my disability. The only thing keeping me from it right now, actually, is that when the docs don't know what's wrong with you, only what the symptoms are, they can't give a prognosis...

cannibalann
04/19/12 7:32 pm

Still paying off my loan :) less than 2500 to go!!

Comet? Tennessee
04/19/12 7:18 pm

I am glad to receive SSDI, pell grant and scholarships since I am unemployed for few years. I have been benefited from unemployment and food stamp but now no longer used them. This makes mr feel like I am retired. :-)

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
04/19/12 6:33 pm

Babble is a kid trying to get attention. Babble get out and play in the sunshine with other kids. It will do you good. Go ride your bike. It is fun.

bulldog
04/19/12 6:24 pm

@holybabble, YOU are what is wrong with this country. Lazy, ignorant and feel entitled. I pray you don't have kids.

bulldog
04/19/12 6:14 pm

I don't, but know of people who live in $300,000 homes and get food stamps! pisses me off!

Happy2 California
04/19/12 5:10 pm

@Linton2 there's no deduction for getting married. There used to be a tax penalty, but Bush got rid of that. It'll come back next year though unless the tax cut is extended.

HolyBabble Mississippi
04/19/12 4:58 pm

Knowing that millions of people are busting their butts to pay for my lifestyle makes me LOL.
I live a comfortable life thanks to you suckers. And their isn't a damn thing you can do about it. Thanks a lot .... Suckers!!!!!

gramps
04/19/12 4:45 pm

I'm quite happy receiving the SS and Medicare that I started paying into in 1966!

america95 Georgia
04/19/12 3:41 pm

Since it's wrong and immoral, no. It's either sink or swim, there are no financial lifeguards

Zod Above Pugetropolis
04/19/12 2:58 pm

And madJ, I'm definitely not ashamed of myself for working hard enough for long enough to qualify for the retirement promised me as part of my total compensation. Working hard for a living, you ought to try it.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
04/19/12 2:56 pm

Well MadJ, when you get your SS money, feel free to donate it - it's your money, but I'm spending mine on toys for me - it's my money. I paid the maximum for 3/4 of my career, it's defined as a component of my retirement system by law, and I earned it.

Linton2
04/19/12 2:34 pm

We should broaden it to include tax deductions for things like having children or simply getting married. Then I'd be interested to see the results.

deucemd
04/19/12 2:33 pm

@jstonetroy - yeah, they're liars!

onlinespec Dallas, TX
04/19/12 1:49 pm

Liars! Anyone with a student loan qualified

04/19/12 1:31 pm

Seriously? Only 18% of the users on this app are college students, unemployed, or seniors? Wow. That says something about the users of this app.

ACapitalis
04/19/12 1:14 pm

But what do you expect from an economic philosophy that believes paying someone with taxpayers money to dig a hole then pay another to fill it in is "stimulating" the economy.

ACapitalis
04/19/12 1:13 pm

When people have healthy savings they can use their economic power to usurp gov't power and policies. They can not only invest, but choose when and what to invest in. This is detrimental to a gov't who wants to control the economy on an individual level.

MadJefrson West Virginia
04/19/12 1:10 pm

9%of those with 100k or more income receive some form of public assistance. YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES! Even if it is Social Security. I would donate that money to a charity. Disgraceful!

ACapitalis
04/19/12 1:09 pm

Today's gov't is depending on us spending every $ we have. Keynesian economics feels individual savings is harmful to the economy. The best way to make sure people aren't saving is to insure they are in debt and constantly in the rears.