Show Of Hands February 18th, 2013 10:40pm

*Prior* to today's news headlines; had you ever heard of Mindy McCready?

02/18/13 9:55 pm

Country singer that had a few hits late 90's.. Was on 'Celebrity Rehab' w/Dr. Drew a couple years ago.
Suicide yesterday. Single gunshot to the head...
Comes on the heels of a series of bizarre stories about her the last few years, climaxed by the unsolved death of her 'baby daddy' in January

susanr Colorado
02/18/13 9:35 pm

Aww... nice! Thanks!

Emma Austin.ish.
02/18/13 7:05 pm

she's OK right now, thanks for asking.

02/18/13 6:24 pm

To Patsy's left (right side of the picture), playing acoustic bass, is 'grandfather of Mr. Spock' ;)

02/18/13 6:23 pm

susanr- You mentioned Patsy Cline.
Do a Google image search for "Patsy Cline Grand Ole Opry"
You will find several results with a very famous picture of her at the Ryman Auditorium circa '61
(A black & white shot of her singing with band & a white banner behind them that says "Record Department")

susanr Colorado
02/18/13 6:10 pm

Why can't people be interested in what they can do with their *own* lives, anyway, than with the tragedies & train wrecks of other people's?

susanr Colorado
02/18/13 6:08 pm

Damn media. We need them - some version of them - but in many cases they've become something worse than no media. It's that incessant need to get a story, any story, and faster than anyone else. Prurient interest on the part of the public feeds it, too.

02/18/13 5:26 pm

mk- how is your sister doing now?

02/18/13 5:19 pm

Well, just for clarity on my end; my dad didn't die of 'intentional' suicide.. But rather decades of abuse finally catching up to him. Ironically, he went to bed the night of the epic Nashville Flood in May 2010 & just didn't wake up the next morning (He wasn't affected by the flood)

Emma Austin.ish.
02/18/13 5:15 pm

sorry, haven't been able to talk about that one before. but i'm assuming none of you know us so it's OK. if you do, please forget I said anything. ;)

02/18/13 5:15 pm

(My apologies to anyone annoyed by what essentially turned out to be a blog post ????)
Just thought you folks may find it an interesting perspective, considering my relative proximity to the situation

Emma Austin.ish.
02/18/13 5:14 pm

my sister tried for the 2nd time last year, actually got a hotel room in another city for the "event", she was so serious about it. it was a miracle the staff found her and called 911. and it was all over a stupid guy.

02/18/13 5:02 pm

Other than a flash-in-the-pan 'here now, gone tomorrow' country career; she was otherwise just a girl with problems.
IMO; she had done nothing significant enough in the music world to garner the media's microscope, and her path to wellness *might* have been more possible had she just been left alone

02/18/13 5:00 pm

Moral of the story? The only thing she'll be remembered for in the public sphere is this false narrative the press painted of her by propping her up to 'celebrity' status because dysfunction makes for good 'journalism.'

02/18/13 4:55 pm

Over the next few years, she became a 'star' as an excuse for the media to chase her around & hound her about the Clemens thing, and the next thing you know; she goes 'Full Britney.'
I'm not blaming the media for her mental health issues, nor her untimely demise. But they *certainly didn't help*

02/18/13 4:51 pm

She was completely insignificant (professionally) and never entered collective thought within the industry post '99.
That only changed when her name came up in connection to Roger Clemens' steroid/affair scandals.
Still, no one here cared.. Except the media. Suddenly she was a 'country star'

02/18/13 4:46 pm

My problem is how the media has covered her story.
Almost every headline I've read since her public troubles began a few years ago label her as 'Country Star Mindy McCready.'
Mindy was not a 'star' in any way. She had *1* major hit in '96, with only a handful of minor hits over the next couple yrs

Emma Austin.ish.
02/18/13 4:43 pm

HS Class of '95 :)

02/18/13 4:40 pm

Preface: I am saddened by her tragic death. I have personal friends who have either worked in her touring band or have played on her albums. In addition; she was a close friend and client of my next-door neighbor, whose studio adjoins my back yard & had Mindy recording in it just a few months ago

susanr Colorado
02/18/13 4:32 pm

Yes, I'd just read that a while ago. I'm so sorry. That could have been my brother, as well, if he hadn't been rescued by several factors including one very feisty & wonderful Episcopalian nun. I'm convinced there are genetic factors but they're difficult to elucidate.

Tony SOH Founder
02/18/13 4:31 pm

I think I'd heard of her name, but that's about it.

02/18/13 4:28 pm

Not directly... but close enough. My curiosity concerning public familiarity is actually something a bit different, though

02/18/13 4:25 pm

You must be near my age group, then (high school class of '92). Mindy was popular (briefly) right after my college years

Tony SOH Founder
02/18/13 4:24 pm

I assume you knew her either personally or professionally, given your profession?

02/18/13 4:22 pm

Yes, very sad. I have multiple experiences which are quite comparable (I referenced one of them in a response to Doopy today in the 'coke woman's death' poll)
I'm soft-hearted about this stuff, for sure.

susanr Colorado
02/18/13 4:17 pm

No. I may have heard her name but didn't remember anything about her. Not really a country music fan except a bit of Patsy Cline every once in a while. I've read a bit about McCready's life today though. Sounds like one tragedy after another, after a promising start. Pretty sad.

Emma Austin.ish.
02/18/13 4:14 pm

Some of her songs bring back memories of college...

02/18/13 4:07 pm

I have a specific reason for asking this question... and it's likely not what you may think. Was hoping for a few responses first, and then I can get in pretty deep with something you may all be interested in ????