Show Of Hands February 18th, 2013 11:35am

Would you want your next-door neighbors to own a semiautomatic rifle?

MrWolfe Nashville
02/18/13 3:43 pm

Crap! Forgot that I have mine turned off... Thanks for the reminder!

icechris12 New Jersey
02/18/13 3:43 pm

I don't like the way this is worded, I don't mind if they do, but I also don't feel a strong urge for them to own one as well

Doopy Remedial Americanism
02/18/13 3:34 pm

Thanks. I have notifications turned on, so I don't often miss stuff like that.

MrWolfe Nashville
02/18/13 3:27 pm

(OT) Doopy- I just replied to one of your comments in the 'woman's death from coca-cola' thread waaaay down the page

Doopy Remedial Americanism
02/18/13 1:52 pm

I know what you mean. I used to live next to a meth addict. I really don't think it would be awesome for her to have anything more dangerous than a broken crack pipe, but the rest of my neighbors were veterans.

If it came down to it, I'd feel safer if they all had AR-15s than if none did.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
02/18/13 1:19 pm

Yeah. Apparently, Tony's been doing Kung Fu I didn't even notice.

Ninja...

MrWolfe Nashville
02/18/13 1:14 pm

If you aren't familiar:Kennesaw is a suburb of Atlanta, not much different from Hendersonville, Tn (I've lived in both places)
Years ago, the city introduced a controversial ordinance which required homeowners to prove ownership of at least 1 firearm.
Violent & property crime stats plummeted heavily

MrWolfe Nashville
02/18/13 1:08 pm

Understood! And I certainly understand your view. We would need to study numerous criteria, such as how the communities' education level compares to others, etc.
In your opinion; what statistic would best make a link between firearm ownership and crime level?
(A common example used is Kennesaw, Ga)

susanr Colorado
02/18/13 1:02 pm

..links yet; I'll have to work on the behavior of my fingers a bit first - but I will!

susanr Colorado
02/18/13 1:00 pm

I'm not questioning that your neighborhood is safe. Just whether the guns a what make it so - rather than a population of intelligent, caring good neighbors. I'm not saying it ISN'T the presence of guns, just that I don't see how you come to that conclusion. And no, I haven't checked out your...

MrWolfe Nashville
02/18/13 12:45 pm

(See, Tony, why we need a 'copy' function so we can check complex links out! ????)

MrWolfe Nashville
02/18/13 12:25 pm

Firearm *ownership* is hard to track, though, since we have relaxed gun laws overall in Tn.
crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbystate/a/gunlaws_tn.htm
Therefore; I use my own best judgement based on direct experience &knowing my community.
We have 2 gun shops. Could probably research sales if needed

susanr Colorado
02/18/13 10:59 am

I said no only because I question the mentality of my upstairs neighbors a little bit, and I definitely wouldn't go out of my way to *want* the couple to be armed with anything more than a feather duster. If I were living in a house on a regular lot, I wouldn't care. Much.

susanr Colorado
02/18/13 10:56 am

Um... Do you *know* the pleasant community *results* from it being well armed? Correlation, causation & all that...

Tony SOH Founder
02/18/13 10:31 am

Oh - actually I didn't even mean to replace semiautomatic with automatic. :-)

Doopy Remedial Americanism
02/18/13 10:11 am

Give your brother-in-law my thanks! The 101st Airborne is some serious service to our nation.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
02/18/13 10:09 am

Yes, Sensei. I was thinking of asking about automatics, Tony, but eventually decided automatic rifles are not the arms currently at the center of the debate. I posted at 3:00 AM in a groggy fit of curiosity, and should've gone with the automatics.

Tony SOH Founder
02/18/13 8:55 am

I think I would have worded this one: "would it bother you if your next door neighbor owned an automatic rifle?"

That would leave room for the "I don't care" crowd (probably the majority), and also line up the "Yes" answer on the left/blue - something I generally try to do for consistency.

MrWolfe Nashville
02/18/13 7:36 am

Despite all that; our neighborhood is full of children playing, completely quiet, and extremely friendly. Very old- school 'Leave it to Beaver' type of vibe.
This is why all the gun control hysteria drives me batty. I live in well-armed community & see the results 1st hand.
*PEACE*

MrWolfe Nashville
02/18/13 7:32 am

I couldn't care less. In fact; I'm pretty sure my right-side neighbor does (ex Army)
Maybe even my left-side neighbor (ex Navy)
My brother-in-law is an Iraq vet (101st airborne) & lives 2 streets over... He's loaded to the gills like Tackleberry from Police Academy..

bherzberg Virginia
02/18/13 7:05 am

Interesting how the no answer's on the left side this time… ????

Emma Austin.ish.
02/18/13 6:19 am

actually, I'm somewhere in between the two. I wouldn't really care either way.