ManifestDestiny June 13th, 2017 8:15pm

The War on Terror, despite killing over 5,000 American military personnel, has lead to the United States having one of the most experienced armies in the world.

mudkip17 United States of Texas
06/13/17 4:52 pm

So the war in terror has been the cause of more American casualties than terrorism?

abusara i drink and i know things
06/13/17 4:22 pm

Yes, with caveats. We've gotten really good at fighting insurgencies and SOF led counter terrorism ops (which is what my combat experience in Iraq and the Stan is). But I fear we've lost our edge in fighting and winning in large scale combat ops. We'd be quite good no doubt. But today's military leaders, from squad leader to the one and two star ranks, have no experience in "big wars."

The hell of it? If...if we had had the force we have today in Afghanistan in 2002 and Iraq in 2003 I'd bet real money the situation in both places would be quite different (in a positive way). As it happened though, we had forces that were expert in large scale combat. However, that force doesn't really exist today like if did then.

As much as I thought Rumsfeld a callous ass, he was correct when he said that "you go to war with the army you have." The military we have today is the most combat experience in decades. But the question remains...is it ready for the next fight?

DoctorWasdarb Marxist Leninist Maoist
06/13/17 3:43 pm

Most experienced at oppressing the third world, because they have the most practice.

DoctorWasdarb Marxist Leninist Maoist
06/13/17 4:25 pm

They only oppress one group of the third world. The American forces oppress all of the third world

abusara i drink and i know things
06/13/17 7:58 pm

I see, so you're focused on quantity, not quality of oppression then, right?

fmm Philadelphia suburb
06/13/17 1:48 pm

probably depends on what you qualify as the 'war on terror'. Iraq? I wouldn't categorize in that manner. Afghanistan / ISIS - certainly. but more importantly, I don't think that's where the majority of our military's experience comes from - but rather years of established learnings and protocol.

even without considering the war on terror, whatever you include or exclude, we'd still have the most experienced military in the world.

ManifestDestiny Radical Americanism
06/13/17 1:20 pm

I don't see how people could disagree with this, but I figured I'd post it anyways.

lj74
06/13/17 1:46 pm

Maybe those that disagreed didn't understand the question

fmm Philadelphia suburb
06/13/17 1:48 pm

I disagreed - see detail above

we have the most experienced military even without the 'war on terror'

lj74
06/13/17 3:34 pm

We had the best prepared and trained, and now due to the WoT we have the most experienced