Brandon2018 June 13th, 2017 7:02pm

Without California, our GDP would be $15.5 Trillion, still in 1st place by about $5 Trillion, Our population would be around 280 million, and our military wouldn't change at all. Why can't California have a calexit vote?

RedpilledPony Connecticut
06/14/17 2:58 pm

I'm all with Calexit. Less Democrats for me!

Mackinaw Wolverine State, est.1837
06/13/17 11:27 pm

It would lead to the shattering of the Union. An Amendment specifically barring secession ought be passed.

abusara i drink and i know things
06/13/17 4:34 pm

I can think of over 600,000 thousand reasons.

www.civilwarhome.com/casualties.htm

drself Gated Community
06/13/17 1:17 pm

The 1st thing they would do as a new country is ask their "not my president" for foreign aid.

croopertrooper Greater Cincinnati Area
06/13/17 1:04 pm

I think they should. Texas should have a "Texit" vote, and I think Hawaii had some rumblings about a secession vote too. I'd be fine with any state having a vote to secede.

lj74
06/13/17 12:19 pm

What about our California military bases? Energy grid

jarod California
06/13/17 12:29 pm

Not to mention California produces a third of US vegetables and two-thirds of US fruits and nuts.

buffalozulu New Adventures
06/13/17 12:45 pm

And 82% of the worlds almonds

knetzere Illinois
06/13/17 1:12 pm

They can't do any of that as their own country?

NathanBForrest Texas
06/13/17 4:21 pm

I do recall them needing water for those crops. And lmao, isn't it anazing how right wingers run all of those things you just listed.

jarod California
06/13/17 5:28 pm

Most of California isn't in a drought if that's what you are implying.

NathanBForrest Texas
06/13/17 12:08 pm

California is a welfare state, meaning ithe costs of the state overwhelm its GDP. It is full of worthless leeches, criminals, far leftists, pollution, and illegals. The only good things about the state are brought to you by right wingers. The funny thing about the Calexit movement, the leader has lives in Russia.

buffalozulu New Adventures
06/13/17 12:08 pm

... have you been to California?

NathanBForrest Texas
06/13/17 12:09 pm

San Diego is a shithole.

buffalozulu New Adventures
06/13/17 12:10 pm

Let me rephrase have you lived or significantly experiences California

Brandon2018 Stocks Are Overvalued
06/13/17 12:12 pm

2.6 million illegals in California. Thats about 20% of Illegal immigrants in the U.S.

NathanBForrest Texas
06/13/17 12:13 pm

Regrettably spent 2 years near UC Berkeley.

Brandon2018 Stocks Are Overvalued
06/13/17 12:14 pm

I have not, and most likely Nathan hasn't either.

jarod California
06/13/17 12:24 pm

You can't judge a state if you've never been there Brandon.

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
06/13/17 12:34 pm

CA is not a welfare state. In fact, it contributes more gross $$ to the Federal government than any other state. Losing CA would further drown the US in debt. For a list of welfare states...start here: wallethub.com/edu/states-most-least-dependent-on-the-federal-government/2700/#methodology

jarod California
06/13/17 12:42 pm

Hmm
Squidboy has an article from 2017
Nathan has an article from 2012

Which should I trust more? No question.

NathanBForrest Texas
06/13/17 12:45 pm

California leads the other states with 39.5.

buffalozulu New Adventures
06/13/17 12:49 pm

California also brings in a lot of money from agriculture, film, energy, tech, and a wide variety of industries. The thing about calexit is that 1) pretty sure Californians would vote against it 2) it would mostly be the US' loss

NathanBForrest Texas
06/13/17 12:50 pm

Its value is overwhelmed by its expenditure.

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
06/13/17 12:55 pm

Your ignorance of statistics aside, we are talking about different things. You think CA is a welfare state because of a gross number. The reality is that per capita, CA uses less social 'welfare' per capita than most states because it has on average....a richer and younger population. My point is that CA contributes more net revenue in taxes than any state. Per capita....only 7 states contribute more $ to the Federal government: www.politifact.com/california/article/2017/feb/14/does-california-give-more-it-gets-dc/. If you want to talk about 'welfare' states....you need to go Red. MS, LA, TN, MO, SD, MT, GA....these are the welfare queens. So if you live in CA....you are a giver....not a taker.

NathanBForrest Texas
06/13/17 1:03 pm

First of all, politifact is not a reliable source, you might as well give me something from NPR. www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-sac-california-federal-government-money-20170205-story.html
And lmao, its funny you should mention the blackest states in the US. I wonder why those red states have to take in so much federal funds. Probably has to do with the Democrats.

Iamamerican California
06/13/17 1:04 pm

I live in California and see it as a gimme your wallet state. They can't fund the things they think they must have or the things they need to fix, so they keep increasing taxes.
The area I live in used to be republican, not anymore.
Citizens and businesses are moving out. I'm trying to convince my family to leave too.

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
06/13/17 1:13 pm

If you actually read the link....you would know it references a wallethub study. So here is another source. Or you could use google yourself and find 60 other sources with the same results: www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/01/06/some-of-the-most-conservative-states-rely-most-on-federal-government-aid/?utm_term=.2d46c3082622

Iamamerican California
06/13/17 1:15 pm

WaPo is not a reliable source.

NathanBForrest Texas
06/13/17 1:16 pm

So then source the wallethub study, which you already did. I don't need a "journalist's" interpretation to clear somethinf up for me.

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
06/13/17 1:42 pm

Perhaps you would accept the same study from its originator....the conservative Tax Foundation? taxfoundation.org/which-states-rely-most-federal-aid-0

NathanBForrest Texas
06/13/17 4:21 pm

Nothing there about California, stay on topic.

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
06/13/17 4:38 pm

I will quote it for you: 'Which states rely most on federal aid?' California ranks 42. So if you want to call CA a welfare state....then you have to include 41 other states ahead of it as a welfare state.

NathanBForrest Texas
06/13/17 4:59 pm

Yeah, I literally just put "California" into a word search and nothing came up.

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
06/13/17 5:23 pm

All the states & their ranking are in the graphic in the provided link. Also....the article you linked to concluded with this quote: ' Trump needs California to prosper. Almost 1 in 8 Americans lives here, and the state has created more than 2.4 million jobs since the current economic expansion began seven years ago. He may not like the state’s politics, but Trump the businessman would be wise to see California as a good investment.'

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
06/14/17 6:26 am

Lol at this thread yall got here.