ProudAmerican45 June 12th, 2017 11:53am

Today at my school we have a half day due to excessive heat..our school classrooms don't have air conditioning..they did the same a few years ago when there was a heatwave..Have you ever heard of a heat half day?

Zod Above Pugetropolis
06/12/17 9:20 pm

Yes. It is why, in the days before air conditioning and teacher's or "in service" days off every other week were common, school being in session after the first day or two in June or before the first week of September was not.

Finny Conservative Lesbian
06/12/17 8:01 pm

One of the HS in my city doesn't have windows and their AC broke so they had to send the kids home.

Can't remember a day where my school has been off from heat though. It'd be warnings all over the news and kids getting sick but they kept school going on with no AC. Glad I'm graduating tomorrow 😂

followingsea Illinois is
06/12/17 7:56 pm

Never happened high school I'd check out for library go to pool hall.

ArdentNerdyGirl USA
06/12/17 6:03 pm

What was the temperature out of curiosity? Never heard of it.

ProudAmerican45 North Joisey
06/12/17 6:06 pm

By 1:30 the temperature in my class was 90..that was with opened windows..opened door and a fan..tomorrow we have a half day as well..

shygal47 Florida east coast
06/12/17 11:48 am

When I was in school there was no A/C - you opened the windows and sweat it out. But, yes, they have closed schools in FL if the central A/C fails.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
06/12/17 11:29 am

I said no but I may have heard of that. We don't have air conditioning in our schools. We are very close to the ocean. I imagine if we had a very rare heat wave that might happen

jenkp223 Being a mommy
06/12/17 10:56 am

It happened in some of the hotter areas of where I grew up. But now I live somewhere where all the schools have AC or you wouldn't be able to have classes for the first and last couple months of school.

lcamino Florida and Georgia
06/12/17 9:12 am

No, but I can understand why you would, with no air conditioning.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
06/12/17 6:29 am

Are you guys doing summer school or are you still in the regular school year?

I have heard of schools that let out early of did not have school at all due to broken furnaces or air conditioning but never experienced it myself. My school back home was inadequately heated but it was heated nonetheless. It did not have air conditioning. We opened doors and windows if we got hot.

ProudAmerican45 North Joisey
06/12/17 11:19 am

We are still in regular session until the 23rd..then we start a ESY program for the month of July..it was 90 in my room by 1:30 today..even with the windows open..door open and a fan on..my class was good compared to the ones directly facing the sun with the black top..my class isn't directly in the sun and I have grass below my windows..

ProudAmerican45 North Joisey
06/12/17 2:35 pm

We have another half day tomorrow..due to excessive heat..

WorstGooEver Nuke the Hurricanes
06/12/17 5:57 am

Nope. If one of our AC units goes out we open the the door to try to get the remains of someone else's cold air and suffer.

Kay41 the Midwest
06/12/17 5:00 am

We have two schools in our District. Several years ago one of the buildings did not have air conditioning so we had a handful of half days due to heat over the years.