RussianThunder June 10th, 2017 2:54am

Disney World is not a good idea for a Russian family bogged down with autism and language barriers. Edik is still crying. Do you think Disney is too stimulating for many people with autism?

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
06/12/17 6:23 am

Yes. It is loud and confusing. I'm so sorry your family vacation was not better.

FemmeNemmy meninism awareness
06/11/17 12:53 pm

Disneyworld can be extremely over stimulating at times, for anyone. However, there are so many cast members that have the willingness and passion to create a safe and enjoyable experience for people all over the autistic spectrum.

A lot...I mean a looooot...of planning may be involved, but you absolutely could have an incredible Disney vacation.

mcable Lost in Translation
06/10/17 11:44 am

My daughter has anxiety (very different than autism, I know) and loves Disney. We do plan a LOT well ahead of time, and adjust our own expectations for the "success" of the vacation. On or off the spectrum, WDW is over stimulating for anyone, but with enough planning can really be awesome.

badattitude no place like home
06/10/17 9:38 am

Yes. Better just go to the zoo. Or horse back riding. Petting zoos are good too. Autistic kids really connect with horses and goats. It's amazing. We have them come to our ranch. They focus really well for a long time.

Korosensei Maine
06/10/17 7:16 am

Most of it yes I'd suggest trying Epcot as it tend to be more low key unless they have difficulty with crowds in which case an amusement park in general would likely be difficult

shygal47 Florida east coast
06/10/17 5:03 am

I lived less than an hour away in the 70's and I used to go there every so often ... when it was rainy and cold so that we wouldn't be subjected to mouthy pushy crowds all intent on reaching the next ride.
I think the last time I went there was 1979. It was just overwhelming - just too much of everything.

skepticbro transcended dimension
06/10/17 4:44 am

I mean sure
I feel like that's pretty obvious

Loud noises
Lots of lights
And unexpected events

All just seems like a bad idea depending on the sensitivity of the indiviual

FacePalm That Trick Never Works
06/10/17 3:12 am

it wouldn't be my first choice...

Iamamerican California
06/09/17 11:22 pm

Oh my, I never thought of it being overstimulating. My family has been going to Disneyland since my kids were little. We just took our time enjoying everything and took breaks as needed to people watch.
We went on 4th of July once, it was super crowded and we didn't do it again.

catpillow Florida West Coast
06/09/17 9:33 pm

I'm so sorry, but I sometimes find the crowds there to be overwhelming. I hope the rest of your trip is more pleasant.

geoag02 Dallas, TX
06/09/17 9:23 pm

I have no experience so voted no to be able to read comments. Please disregard it.

ctskapski x
06/09/17 9:10 pm

Sorry to hear it was troublesome.
I'm​ not on the spectrum, but I still find theme parks overstimulating, in general.

Hershey PA was okay, because I had a 5 pound chocolate bar, but most others I went to are too... Energetic.

followingsea Illinois is
06/09/17 9:09 pm

Idk, sorry for bad experience, 84 yo never been to Disney, did I miss anything ?

DoctorWasdarb Marxist Leninist Maoist
06/09/17 8:57 pm

Depends on the level of autism I guess

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
06/09/17 8:48 pm

I hadn't thought about that before now, but yes, I would think it would be HORRIFIC for a family with anyone on the autism spectrum.

I would think it would be better next time if you decide to go to another amusement park that you find a smaller one.

OR, if you have more days at Disney lined up, check out these:

www.autismattheparks.com/index.html

www.sheknows.com/parenting/articles/953219/tips-for-visiting-theme-parks-with-kids-on-the-autism-spectrum

More...

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
06/09/17 8:48 pm

Part 2. This site looks like it's about theme parks in CA, but it talks about assistance passes. That might be something to look into.
www.ieautism.org/social-rec/amusement-parks/

And this is a theme park specifically for those with autism! San Antonio might be in your future! Lol
www.autismkey.com/morgans-wonderland-a-theme-park-for-special-needs-children/

That should get you started. For more info, Google "Amusement Park Autism"
I've read that even a movie theater is too much, but that some theaters are now having certain viewings for families like yours. Check these out:

www.amctheatres.com/programs/sensory-friendly-films

www.emaxhealth.com/1275/movie-theaters-children-autism-and-their-families

www.autism-society.org/get-involved/other-ways-to-get-involved/sensory-friendly-films/

RussianThunder Russia and USA
06/09/17 8:53 pm

Thanks! We had special passes but it just didn't help. It was too much.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
06/09/17 8:35 pm

Oh, no! I'm so sorry, Martinushka! They try so hard to be a fun place! I would imagine that they never even considered how the park could affect a family like yours. When you get back to Illinois, perhaps your father or mother should write them a letter, detailing the family's experiences and informing them of the particular rides or attractions which were disturbing. Perhaps they will be grateful for the information.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
06/09/17 8:37 pm

I think we were all stressed. It just turned out not to be the right time to go but I'm still glad I saw it. It was hard to do all that walking though. My leg is very sore.

HammeringMan Gods Away On Business
06/09/17 8:42 pm

My GF and I both endure some intense PTSD, so we try to attend the park in the quieter evenings which reduces the visual disturbances. We are also selective of the rides. She avoids surprise sounds and I avoid guns/booms. For fun I told her we need side blinders, dark glasses, and construction ear buds.

HammeringMan Gods Away On Business
06/09/17 8:42 pm

RT-glad you have positive memories.

ovcourse Alzheimer Joe
06/09/17 8:14 pm

It's too stimulating for some of us who do not have autism.

imanag My heaven on Earth
06/09/17 8:11 pm

I'm sorry about that. Yes, I think that the Magic Kingdom can be tough on kiddos with certain conditions, autism being one of them. My son, whose your age RT, struggles a bit. He's not on the spectrum, but he has adjustment anxiety disorder. After so many hours, the crowds and unfamiliar stimuli are too much. This is why we only go every few years and always to Disneyland. My parents live nearby and always join us. When my oldest is done, they're always happy to take him home. It works better for him. I hope you're able to enjoy the rest of your visit. Plan a few quiet breaks, it helps.

snagglepuss Story Time
06/09/17 8:02 pm

Awe I'm sorry.

I don't have autism but I have social anxiety. I don't do well in crowded places or deal well with too much noise.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
06/09/17 8:04 pm

It was somehow fun for about an hour then the meltdowns started. Edik lost it. Seriously lost it.

snagglepuss Story Time
06/09/17 8:05 pm

Awe. Well an hour is good I think. How old is he?

Praetorianus Fair enough.
06/09/17 8:31 pm

How many children are there in your household and how many are affected by an ASD?

RussianThunder Russia and USA
06/09/17 8:34 pm

There are 6 of us and 5 of us are diagnosed with ASD. I do have 2 half sisters and one has an autistic daughter and son and the other an autistic son.

snagglepuss Story Time
06/09/17 8:44 pm

What is it like to travel together? That must be a lot for everyone to deal with.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
06/09/17 8:51 pm

Usually everyone has our iPads and earphones. It's not that bad. This was the longest trip we have taken in the US. Erik made these balloon animals half way down here though. That was seriously annoying. Both of them had these fart putty things but got tired of those quickly, mercifully. After 9pm, my mom passes out our medications and I fall asleep and so do the twins. I guess we are used to being in a car. We traveled all over Europe in a car. It was bad when the twins were younger.

snagglepuss Story Time
06/09/17 8:58 pm

All that squeaking from the balloon animals would drive me crazy. The slurping noises wouldn't help either. Thank goodness for iPads and ear buds. When I was a kid we had I Spy and a view finder. 😉

Praetorianus Fair enough.
06/09/17 11:41 pm

If it weren't so cruel, I'd say a needle takes care of any baloon animal.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
06/10/17 3:01 am

What is view finder? Look out window and find best view?

snagglepuss Story Time
06/10/17 4:38 am

Thanks Facepalm.

A view finder had different circular cartridges with pictures on them. Cartoons usually. You moved a lever and advanced the pictures. It was like a kids camera and a projector all in one.