PamGH June 5th, 2017 6:17pm

The cost of imprisoning each of CA's 130,000 inmates is expected to reach a record $75,560 in the next year. This is more than a years tuition at Harvard. We must engage in practices that lower recidivism, reform lives and protect the public,

outlaw393 01134
06/07/17 1:29 am

Sure. More executions and less life sentences.

ronderman North Carolina
06/05/17 6:42 pm

We need to stop spending so much on our inmates.

devspi Liberal Republican
06/05/17 3:59 pm

What do you think we should do Pam? Personally, I believe we should decriminalize drug possession and use the money for rehab rather than imprisonment. That would remove everyone but the petty and violent criminals. Rehabilitate the petty criminals and incarcerate the violent ones. That would cut a large portion of the spending

PamGH Washington
06/05/17 6:12 pm

I'll go with that. We are spending the money unwisely. For THAT much money you give me 3 non violent offenders and I'll mentor them. I bet I get a 33% recidivism rate. I make over 200K and the state saves a bundle when they don't return to prison. I'm pretty good at life coaching/mentoring kind of stuff.

dlinz001
06/11/17 8:16 pm

Why can't we turn prisons into businesses that make money rather than take. They could work on producing agricultural, manufacturing, etc.

PamGH Washington
06/11/17 10:21 pm

It's called slave labor. Jobs done by inmates, such as making clothes, or other things steal jobs from the general population. How about this, we pay them per inmate based on wether or not they recidivate in the first year. That would incentivize better programs and reduce costs because we won't be arresting the same people over and over. It would help kids, who suffer greatly if they have an incarcerated parent and overall make the family unit stronger.

Wes28 CBus
06/05/17 1:52 pm

Or, conversely, give them a worse QoL and cut that cost in half.

Iamamerican California
06/05/17 1:43 pm

Sounds like they've released some low crime prisoners and reduced costs where they can, but the costs are rising anyway and they're worried about an increase in crimes. Maybe they need to have ICE pick up the illegals as they are released instead of protecting them.

MontanaToastMan Ca
06/05/17 12:21 pm

so let's send them all to Harvard then.