ArdentNerdyGirl June 3rd, 2017 9:16pm

Is obesity a disease? Share your thoughts in the comments.

Suzan Hawaii
06/03/17 4:28 pm

Very few doctors know how to treat it. They treated as a self control issue and not getting to the root of the problem.

Finny Conservative Lesbian
06/03/17 2:34 pm

Obesity isn't a disease, it's a self inflicted slow death.

It's so sad when I see kids who are very overweight and or obese, the parents are setting them up for a life full of a lot of pain and chronic issues in addition to heart problems.

It's not that difficult to just eat right. Bananas cost less than a bag of chips. Hummus and pita chips cost the same as chips and a like sour cream and onion or bacon cheddar dip type thing. Buying bread and deli meat costs less than buying pizza rolls and hot pockets for the whole week for your kids. I really hate the money argument. With 60 dollars today I got fruit, healthy snacks and meals for a whole week.

Pinkaliscious Peace Out
06/03/17 3:09 pm

Obesity occurs for a variety of reasons. People are obese that eat right. There is also a correlation with income and obesity. The most affordable foods are high carbs, high sodium and processed.

Pinkaliscious Peace Out
06/03/17 3:11 pm

Deli meat and bread are not all that healthy. Deli meat is full of nitrates and home made bread is the healthiest but still a carb.

voc I am...what I am
06/03/17 3:16 pm

Not everyone who's fat is fat because they eat too much. Some have legitimate medical conditions.

Finny Conservative Lesbian
06/03/17 4:10 pm

(1) Carbs don't make you fat. Fat in foods makes you fat. Carbs are necessary and give you energy - if you don't eat enough carbs, you'll feel fatigued. There's actually a good amount of carbs in fruits and veggies.
(2) You can be eating healthy foods, but if you don't portion right, it'll make you fat. People also have poor perceptions on what makes you fat. A sandwich isn't gonna make you fat if it's bakery bread and deli meat. Frozen foods, cookies and bready snacks (goldfish or Doritos for example) that don't have any nutrient benefit make you fat if you eat them too much and if your portion is too big.
(3) No, processed foods aren't cheaper. There's a dollar difference between processed chicken in a bag and fresh chicken at my store. And at another one I got to the precooked chicken is actually more than the fresh one. Fruits and veggies are less expensive than snacks and the alternatives snacks I've found cost the same price if not less than the regular.

Finny Conservative Lesbian
06/03/17 4:13 pm

(4) It's not cause by medical conditions most often - it's caused by paternal conditioning. Letting kids eat a bunch of processed snacks and frozen heat up meals. Not watching what they eat and teaching them healthy habits. A lot of people don't exercise as well.

Even people with conditions as I had I had a chest inflammation where I wasn't supposed to do heavy/extensive exercise, moderate exercise was recommended and if you look at conditions like arthritis, moderate exercise is recommended for that too

What is true is that obesity causes medical conditions, a lot of them, and that deters them from getting themselves help.

Finny Conservative Lesbian
06/03/17 4:15 pm

If I when I had a condition like a serve chest inflammation and come from a family with income of 30,000k a year can eat healthy, overcome my condition, I lost 20 pounds and be healthy and toned right now I don't think people have any excuse.

Pinkaliscious Peace Out
06/03/17 4:28 pm

Funny, not everyone is you, has your body, lives where you live and has your genetics. If medical doctors recognize obesity as a disease why can't you???

musicotic Michigan
06/03/17 4:43 pm

Finny, sugars make you fat, not fats. Talk to a nutritionist

Finny Conservative Lesbian
06/03/17 4:56 pm

You have to literally sit on your ass all day to have sugars affect you like that because you burn them

Liberatheist Mustafar
06/03/17 5:02 pm

I limited myself to 20-30 grams of carbs a day. I lost 30 pounds since January. I increased my fat intake.

Fat doesn't make you fat. Large portions of simple carbs make you fat. Look at items that say low fat. They're loaded with sugar.

musicotic Michigan
06/03/17 5:10 pm

Finny, read 📖 before you sprout 💩.

Finny Conservative Lesbian
06/03/17 5:39 pm

Yes I know because they're not made to be and when you get rid of some Marco you have to replace it with something.

I don't eat low fat foods by label or purposely downgrading.

I eat healthy fats and try to avoid fatty foods like fried foods for example and most highly processed foods. Never had an issue with carbs. Carbs typically are 50% of someone's diet. Fat is 30%. Protein is 20%. I try to flip Protein and Fat and eat that 50% carb. Carbs are energy so you must be very fatigued.

Liberatheist Mustafar
06/03/17 5:47 pm

I'm not. I eat plenty of food just not a lot of carbs. On days I work out I do eat more carbs because I need the energy and they help with recovery. I'm actually not as tired as I used to be.