badattitude June 1st, 2017 3:29am

Controversial UK Teaching Booklet Invites Children to Write ‘Letter to a Terrorist’ A new teaching resource has come under fire for advising British kids as young as seven to “write a letter to a terrorist” to understand their motives.

Domino3 Abolish the ATF
06/01/17 8:43 am

I'm not shocked this happened, but more or less people are defending it..

ZaQ777 Pittsburgh
06/01/17 4:34 am

Heaven forbid we teach kids to have a dialogue with someone you disagree with to understand each other better.

badattitude no place like home
06/01/17 5:49 am

Maybe we could all hug

MrsCrayonWax
06/01/17 7:04 am

Sure. We should get to know a terrorist and maybe love them and they'd stop being terrorists.

ZaQ777 Pittsburgh
06/01/17 8:05 am

Does no one understand symbolism? The point is to teach conflict resolution through communication.

MrsCrayonWax
06/01/17 8:23 am

I'm aware. So let me ask this question. Is the goal for a terrorist to respond? Because conflict resolution and trying to understand people with differing viewpoints is one thing but this is likely an experiment in futility.

ZaQ777 Pittsburgh
06/01/17 9:06 am

I assume a teacher/parent would play the role of "terrorist" for this exercise. The kids would learn that understanding is a good first step toward resolving conflicts in a general sense, and also maybe learn a few age appropriate lessons about other cultures in the process. We're not trying to have kids literally negotiate peace in the Middle East here.

MrsCrayonWax
06/01/17 9:18 am

I think this might have been a poor example to use as conflict resolution is not the end goal of a terrorist.

ZaQ777 Pittsburgh
06/01/17 9:47 am

I disagree that conflict resolution is not their end goal in the vast majority of cases. For the most part, they want something, and are going to insane measures to get it.

But yes, you're right, it does seem that the agenda is more than simple conflict resolution training. It is to literally teach about terrorism. I will admit that I'm unsure that that's necessary material for 7 years olds, but I agree with all the book author's points.

suppressedID That is my secret Cap
05/31/17 10:36 pm

"Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster." - Sun Tzu

badattitude no place like home
06/01/17 5:49 am

So it's a battle plan. Very good idea