Show Of Hands February 7th, 2013 12:00am

Is there more to Sandy Hook than what the media and government are telling us?

susanr Colorado
02/11/13 10:27 pm

I spent years in a number of discussion forums on CompuServe, ending up on the staff of some of them. I really enjoyed the troll-free atmosphere, but I know how much work it took to moderate (because I was doing some of the moderating).

susanr Colorado
02/11/13 10:25 pm

Oh, just personal, Tony. Professional uses hadn't even occurred to me.

It does sound sort of elitist, I suppose, but many times the name calling & pointless arguing really get to me and it would be a relief to be able to avoid that. Not exclusively, just as an addition or option.

Tony SOH Founder
02/11/13 10:18 pm

For personal or professional use, Susan?

Tony SOH Founder
02/07/13 10:13 pm

We're not going to have truly private polls (i.e. polls that are only seen by people you approve) to start with, but we will get there eventually - possibly as a paid feature.

palindrome California
02/07/13 10:11 pm

But it is nice to debate and discuss in more controlled and focused environment

palindrome California
02/07/13 10:08 pm

Well.... I still think screw both of em haha it'd be nice if politicians all just ran as indies

thatguy81 here
02/07/13 9:10 pm

This is much better than "screw you dem/rep" that's for sure!

MrWolfe Nashville
02/07/13 7:09 pm

What may be easier (and leaving moderation to Tony, since it's his app) is to use the feature that's already in place, which is the 'report abuse' option that comes up when you touch the poster's screen name.
Maybe at some point, as the app grows, he could appoint a few moderators to help if willing

palindrome California
02/07/13 7:02 pm

Yeah! but if that's the case, it'd be REAL nice to be able to boot people who are trolling or just being douches. I know most people don't like to censor others but maybe it should be an option.

MrWolfe Nashville
02/07/13 7:02 pm

Though I'm not certain; I'd imagine Tony will probably consider some of the polls we post for the overall user base should he christen them 'worthy'. ;)
This may be one more way of suggesting polls, if I'm understanding the process correctly

MrWolfe Nashville
02/07/13 7:00 pm

From what I understand; the only folks that see your poll are your 'followers.'
Clearly that list is going to be small right now as only Beta Testers of SOH 2.0 have the feature.
I loaded up my 'following' list today with some of my favorites of all viewpoints. These semi-private polls will be fun!

palindrome California
02/07/13 6:59 pm

It's one of those things were the public is crying out for action and the politicians react with a placebo

palindrome California
02/07/13 6:58 pm

True. It's an insignificant amount of the whole of gun violence. But there's absolutely no way the govt can ban handguns. SCOTUS has ruled that those are protected under people's right to defend themselves.

So that only leaves the scarier, action movie Rambo kind (tho they aren't those at all)

palindrome California
02/07/13 6:45 pm

I really like this. Is this a private poll? It's nice to have a decent discussion with other people who are interested in actually discussing and keeping an open-mind instead of just fighting and tearing into people who disagree.
Will there be a way to boot people out (if this is a private poll)?

MrWolfe Nashville
02/07/13 4:35 pm

Tony- that's why I struggle with this.
I am open-minded to conspiracy in as far as I believe that there are always folks behind the scenes with ulterior motives.
This event would greatly go beyond the scope of what you'd think would be the threshold of human decency...yet I remain a little skeptical

thatguy81 here
02/07/13 4:26 pm

I discount almost all government initiated conspiracies on this and similar events, but I think mass media is so bias based on ownership and ad revenue that its not impossible that organizations are being told to focus on certain parts of certain stories to push a political agenda beyond Washington

thatguy81 here
02/07/13 4:23 pm

So why not a push to ban pistols? AR style rifles are such a small percentage of gun crime on America two years ago it wouldn't even be worth noting.

I think the '94 ban was to curb urban gang violence. At least the dramatization of it in rap. I think that worked. But you can't stop bat shot crazy

Tony SOH Founder
02/07/13 4:21 pm

I'm a pretty open-minded, conspiracy friendly guy, but I have a hard time believing anyone would stoop so low as to kill 25 kids to score political points. And I think there are too many people involved to risk trying to change the type of weapon, for relatively little reward.

palindrome California
02/07/13 4:10 pm

There's definitely evidence abound of sloppy journalism. It's a by-product of the 24-hr news cycle.

But no. It's a coincidence, but there were several other shootings with AR style rifles before and after. What made Sandy so notable was that the guy went exclusively for little kids

MrWolfe Nashville
02/07/13 4:09 pm

Doopy- hadn't thought of that. The Amish school shooting may not have had as many victims, but was equally heinous and heartbreaking.
So,as is the norm; I'll blame D.C. and also a frenzied media that is more concerned with breaking exclusive details than getting the facts straight *before* doing so

Doopy Remedial Americanism
02/07/13 4:03 pm

To further clarify: I believe the media is cherry picking naturally-occurring shootings in a grand scale to push a narrative conducive to their political ends and financial gain.

Then people mistake the timing of emphasis for timing of attack, and shout "false flag", discrediting themselves.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
02/07/13 4:00 pm

Mass shootings have actually been on the decline for years, and such a big deal just wasn't made about them.

Remember how that Amish school shooting was big news for like a week and then went away? Sandy Hook is still a big story BECAUSE they're pushing gun control.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
02/07/13 3:57 pm

There's always more to every story. The question is whether or not there is pertinent information we have not received. And how accurate the information we have received is.

MrWolfe Nashville
02/07/13 3:32 pm

You don't find the timing odd? Right after the election, and the immediate 'gun control' hysteria?
I just wonder why the police scanners seemed to point to a 2nd shooter, the guy they had in the woods, the guy who Lanza's car was registered to, etc.
Maybe it's just all sloppy journalism... I dunno

MrWolfe Nashville
02/07/13 2:56 pm

I dunno about Oswald.. Though not a frequent occurrence; I drink the Peter Jennings Kool-Aid on that one (if you've ever seen his JFK documentary) ????
Regardless, traditional media is hard to trust 100% these days... that's for sure.

thatguy81 here
02/07/13 2:50 pm

Even congress admitted that Oswald "may not have acted alone". It's only logical Spock!

I don't think crazy kid in Newtown was a government plant, I just think the media feeds us what they want to feed us.

MrWolfe Nashville
02/07/13 2:49 pm

Exactly how I feel. I'm not into the 'New World Order,' 'Secret Society' '9/11 Truther' kind of freaks... though I do find some of their YouTube videos valuable for amusement. ;)
Something just doesn't feel right about many of the unresolved, conflicting reports in Newtown, though.

MrWolfe Nashville
02/07/13 2:45 pm

I'll start by saying I'm an 'Oswald was the single shooter,' anti-conspiracy theory kind of guy.
Something feels very weird about how Sandy Hook has played out, though.
I believe it happened, but remain skeptical about the official narrative.

thatguy81 here
02/07/13 2:42 pm

A face to the name Mr Spock...

And I said yes, but in not going wide 9/11 conspiracy on it.

I don't like how cops were telling the media o the day that he only used a pistol. Then days later, after the uproar they started saying "assault rifle".
It just makes me wonder...