MrMilkdud May 31st, 2017 5:56pm

During Obama's presidency, was it right or in any way justifiable for any conservatives, celebrities or otherwise, to make images or other representations of Obama being abused in any way- burning effigies, hanging effigies, etc?

suppressedID That is my secret Cap
06/01/17 10:50 am

Is anyone actually defending Griffin?

devspi Liberal Republican
06/01/17 5:52 am

It wasn't appropriate then, it isn't appropriate now. Though this has more clearly defined the hypocrisy of both sides

bethanyq Ess Eff
05/31/17 12:40 pm

Of course it wasn't.

ReligiousCommie No Longer Active
05/31/17 12:26 pm

It's pretty stupid, but banning it would infringe on free speech.

willg basically Dulles Airport
05/31/17 11:24 am

This question even having to be asked is so frustrating. Love the president(any of them) or think he is the antichrist the answer remains the same you do not make threats real or implied against the president. If you do you go to jail. The idea that threats are covered as artistic expression or free speech are sadly misconstrued. In taking public office you know going in that you are a target for satire, for being berated ideologically, and having your life basically shone to the world for public examination, and also with that comes a very real threat to your person and your families safety. So while the first part of that comes with the territory the later isn't tolerated, because there are real threats and you have to treat them all the same. I remember when Obama was made into an Ape and there was public out cry about that, that act is hateful, ignorant, demeaning but it isn't a threat. You have 99.9% of worlds worst you can throw at politicians but you cannot threaten them.

willg basically Dulles Airport
05/31/17 11:31 am

Sidenote I don't condone being as an nasty to any president, and I think the other thing people should consider before deciding to be hateful and nasty to political leaders is Freedom of Speech is the freedom to express yourself not the freedom of any repercussions. Nothing frustrates me more than someone doing/saying something that is horrific and then when people are upset and threaten to boycott or ask for someone to be fired etc they try to hide behind Freedom of Speech as if expressing yourself should just allow universal approval of your actions. Not the point of that right, not by a long shot.

MrMilkdud
05/31/17 12:37 pm

I'd agree that things like this are deplorable and worthy of (non-governmental) natural and logical consequences like boycotts or being ostracized.
But calling any of them "threats" goes too far.

willg basically Dulles Airport
05/31/17 12:59 pm

Would it be reasonable to ask why you do not think they are threats? The question clearly points to people making signs that signify abusing or hurting the person they concern. To make a severed head isn't a hot headed off the cuff remark of a threat(which would be handled similarly) these are people who have taken the time to make a graven image of someone and show them in injured. The reason our law enforcement takes them as threats is because these are sentiments that took effort to make and thus demonstrate a pretty evident hatred that has to be taken as credible threat. You make a hung Obama or a beheaded trump and no one acts you set the tone that threats are tolerated. I also imagine if your neighbor whom you were at odds with made a severed head version of you or a family member you'd wonder about there mental stability and if they had it out to kill you.

MrMilkdud
05/31/17 1:23 pm

It doesn't express intent.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
05/31/17 11:21 am

Absolutely not. I turned her friend in on Facebook for posting a picture of Obama half man half ape.

clmcd42 Texas
05/31/17 11:18 am

I couldn't care less if it happens to either president. It doesn't bother me. And I think she received appropriate consequences for it. She just got fired from CNN. She's still getting what she wants though; attention. And you're giving it to her

Liberty 4,032,064
05/31/17 11:13 am

Justifiable: Able to be shown to be right or reasonable; defensible

Could go either way.

willg basically Dulles Airport
05/31/17 12:09 pm

You come up with a single defensible reason it is okay to threaten a standing US president and we can continue the discussion. I can only think of one and it's that the president has committed a crime against humanity (murder/rape/etc) or is about to and someone is in a position to stop them with force. I also wouldn't consider that a threat really as it is only application of justice.

Donaldo non binary potato person
05/31/17 12:29 pm

It's deplorable. Trump won the election. Love him or not, to make a joke out of murdering someone is disgusting in my eyes. If it was crook Hillary or socialist Bernie, I'd say the exact same thing.

Liberty 4,032,064
05/31/17 12:33 pm

No one said anything about threatening anyone. What induced you to make such an odd and unrelated statement?

Donaldo non binary potato person
05/31/17 12:42 pm

The word threaten didn't come to my mind. If it's a threat, then it's worse. But to make a joke or statement where you display a bloody severed head of someone you openly despise is very low, and in my opinion could not be justified. But if I misinterpreted your comment, then please excuse mine lol

Liberty 4,032,064
05/31/17 12:47 pm

I just posted the definition of the word "justifiable" and stated that it could go either way based upon your standard of "reasonable."

ComradeJames nationalism
05/31/17 11:05 am

No, but it happened quite frequently.

voc I am...what I am
05/31/17 11:05 am

No, and it's indefensible for the left to be doing it now. The one that really got me is when they were talking crap about trumps son.

jrpacman Pensum iocus est
05/31/17 11:04 am

Don't worry, CNN just terminated their contract with her.

MrMilkdud
05/31/17 11:14 am

Did they really?

susanr Colorado
05/31/17 11:17 am

Yes, although it apparently consisted of an agreement to co-host their New Year's Eve program with Anderson Cooper (who also condemned what she did).

susanr Colorado
05/31/17 12:18 pm

Also, Squatty Potty dumped her.

Zach21 California