MrMilkdud May 30th, 2017 7:41pm

Larry and 98yo mother, Fiona, were also at the bank when robber shot up the place. Larry used Fiona as a human shield, killing her and saving himself. He said he did it because he also has 4 kids to take care of. Did Larry do the right thing?

suppressedID That is my secret Cap
05/31/17 6:39 am

If Fiona is 98, how old are Larry's kids?!?

MrMilkdud
05/31/17 6:43 am

Larry has a young wife.
How young do his kids have to be to justify using Fiona as a human shield?

Zod Above Pugetropolis
05/30/17 6:52 pm

You can be a human shield for someone else, but you can't ever use someone else as a shield.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
05/30/17 5:50 pm

That, not as big of a deal. The 98 year old is basically dead at that point already

GrandmaALiCE For a better 2021
05/30/17 6:28 pm

Wait. What? You have GOT to be kidding, blue!

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
05/30/17 6:32 pm

If you had to decide, whose life should be spared, a 4 year old or a 98 year old? Same goes for the 98 year old vs. Their 45 year old son.
If I am ever 98 and my life can save someone much younger, who I care about no less, then by all means, do it.

GrandmaALiCE For a better 2021
05/30/17 7:00 pm

I agree with all of that. But, that's not what Bob did. He spared his own life.

I guess, I mostly took exception to the "mostly dead" comment.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
05/30/17 7:11 pm

Yes he used her to save his, that's harsh, but in that situation, I don't begrudge him for it. And at 98, mostly dead is true. Hell I don't want to live much past 80.

MrMilkdud
05/31/17 6:45 am

Blue, it's fine if you would make the decision to give up your life for someone else.

But the problem is that you and Larry don't get to make that decision for other people.

GrandmaALiCE For a better 2021
05/31/17 7:00 am

@MrMilkdud Yes, well said!

@blue In any case, I have several 80+ friends, who are fully alive, active and healthy, still contributing to society and happy to be here.

Some of them belong to a hiking club with me and complete 5-mile hikes easily. Some of them volunteer in the community or help with grandchildren. They travel, they garden, they even embrace new technology to help make their lives better.

You might want to rethink your attitude towards aging. Either way you approach it (positive or negative) becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I am 74 and I want to live a lot more than 6 more years! I want to see what my grandchildren will accomplish. I also want to see what new wonders will be invented.

snowflake2020 Florida State University
05/30/17 5:31 pm

I could never judge a person in that scenario.

think4yourself Not a safe space
05/30/17 4:31 pm

Maybe his mom wanted to be his human meat shield.

dlinz001
05/30/17 4:14 pm

Take away the emotions the logic is there. He has kids to raise, she has a few years left at most. If it was between him and another person his age that would be different but why did to save a person that isn't gonna live much longer and put a void in children's lives that need him?!?

sadewt Rexburg, Idaho
05/30/17 2:04 pm

I'm not going to tell him off over it, but I'd have a hard time living with that.

EarlyBird Portland
05/30/17 1:51 pm

Using somebody else to save your own life seems morally wrong.

smahg
05/30/17 1:47 pm

If his mother is 98, Bob's kids are grown.

MrMilkdud
05/30/17 1:48 pm

You don't know that. She could have had him when she was 45, and he didn't have kids until he hit 45.

MrMilkdud
05/30/17 1:49 pm

Or he adopted young kids. Or married a young woman with kids.
All sorts of ways for him to have little kids at home.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
05/30/17 1:45 pm

As a mother I would volunteer to shield my child. However, I think Larry it's nothing but a coward. Even at my age I would rather be a shield than protected.