Edjumacation May 30th, 2017 4:30pm

Millions of school kids throw away some or all of their school lunch in the trash every day. This amounts to tons of food wasted. Is the public school lunch program part of the wasting food epidemic in the United States?

Butters Wisconsin
05/31/17 2:25 am

I blame the parents who don't teach their children to eat healthy.

Suzan Hawaii
05/31/17 12:38 am

I know a person who is the school kitchen worker. They say with Michelle Obamas healthy food plan, the children will not eat that.

lendluke iowa
05/30/17 6:00 pm

School food should be treated more like a private buisness. Forcing kids to take a vegetable won't make them eat it, instead it will just be thrown away; plus it saves money not having to pay for the wasted food.

WorstGooEver Nuke the Hurricanes
05/30/17 1:43 pm

Technically, yes. The alternative, however, is letting kids just buy a bunch of cookies or something.

Edjumacation Day Care
05/30/17 2:05 pm

Why wouldn't an alternative be to save the unopened food and donate it Immeadiatly. They make kids throw it away.

WorstGooEver Nuke the Hurricanes
05/30/17 2:17 pm

Here, very few things get "opened". Milk is pretty much it. Probably more stuff gets opened at breakfast, but not everyone has to eat breakfast.

NKarta Please excuse my sanity
05/30/17 12:42 pm

No. Its not food. And in my school, its so bad we dont even take the food in the first place.

NKarta Please excuse my sanity
05/30/17 12:45 pm

They've served milk that expired 2 months before, and was frozen for that time. It was barely worse than the usual stuff.

TomM
05/30/17 11:08 am

It's a terrible idea to teach kids to waste food. There's so much food waste in America.

Metamorphosis
05/30/17 10:55 am

That's right blame the schools or, better yet, blame the teachers. Maybe it is about time we blame the right people, the parents. Our schools try to feed kids good food but they throw it away. I wonder why. If children are fed proper food at home, then the proper food at schools will simply seem normal and they will eat it. It is always someone else's fault. Maybe, just maybe, it's our fault.

Finny Conservative Lesbian
05/30/17 11:00 am

I've gotten food poisoning and had other related issues where I've gotten sick from school lunch food. So have many people I know. And from my general knowledge, this isn't a surprising thing. A lot of the fruit they make us take is old and starting to rot, condiments are left out all day and night, sometimes food isn't cooked all the way - I've thrown out pink chicken, uncooked dough , etc...

It's the school's fault. Not the kids or the parents. The food isn't always safe to eat and they have very little money to feed children to give them real food... a lot of it is extremely extremely processed

Finny Conservative Lesbian
05/30/17 11:02 am

And the food poisoning I got was extremely serious, I thought I was gonna die and could barely move ... had a lot of other more disgusting symptoms I won't state as well that were very far from normal ...

Metamorphosis
05/30/17 11:09 am

I'm sorry about the food poisoning but there have been untold millions of school lunches served with extremely rare cases like yours. Many children look forward to these lunches because it is the only quality food they are getting.

Finny Conservative Lesbian
05/30/17 11:22 am

It's not just food poisoning

It's rotten fruit and vegetables, it's foods being left out, it's food being highly processed to the point where it's obviously not meat and who knows what it is... look up some videos .. the food served in a lot of schools, most people wouldn't eat ...

All I'm saying is they're not wasteful, the schools have serious budging issues ...

If it was up to me, I'd get rid of sports programs and put that money into food, books, ... actual more important things

Have the town run the sports.

followingsea Illinois is
05/30/17 10:52 am

The one who met the queen, looking like a street person.

Pinkaliscious Peace Out
05/30/17 10:03 am

I don't understand why kids are wasting so much food.

Pinkaliscious Peace Out
05/30/17 10:42 am

Then pack your own lunch and stop blaming the school. Kids are so spoiled today. Good grief!

Edjumacation Day Care
05/30/17 2:01 pm

Schools make you take all the food. If you just want the sandwich, you have to take it all, milk fruit, side dish, etc. If it's so easy just to pack your own lunch, then why does the school have a lunch program. Make everyone pack a lunch if that's your solution.

Pinkaliscious Peace Out
05/30/17 2:37 pm

Schools make you. Schools feed me food I don't like. How old are you??? It's really easy to pack a lunch. Lots of people do it every day. Even people who don't go to school.

ProudAmerican45 North Joisey
05/30/17 9:45 am

Yes..I see it everyday in the lunch room..today the peas on the tray were shriveled up..and had a weird color..cartons of milk unopened trashed..etc..etc..etc

MediaBlackout Carry on, Carry on.
05/30/17 9:37 am

It definitely is. At our school we are forced to get food we don't want if we want to eat at all so most food goes into the trash.

Edjumacation Day Care
05/30/17 9:45 am

The should at least save it and then donate it.

NKarta Please excuse my sanity
05/30/17 12:44 pm

The homeless wouldn't take it. Its REALLY BAD. We actually have a kid in our school who's family needs charity to make it by, and gets the lunch for free, and even he usually doesnt eat it its so bad.