Kamden May 27th, 2017 4:31pm

A friend chooses not to vote but is incredibly politically-opinionated (publicly and privately). Are their politics depreciated because they refuse to vote?

jackus The Neighborhood
05/30/17 7:34 am

Sometimes not voting is making your voice heard as much as a vote would. If there aren't any good options and you're fed up with each party in general, it would be good to not vote. If this past election had a lot less votes than usual, maybe the parties would realize they aren't doing that great of a job and they'd try to get their act together

jackus The Neighborhood
05/30/17 7:34 am

Don't reward incompetence with your support just because you're committed to a specific party

outlaw393 Hail Loki
05/28/17 1:15 am

You have no right to whine about politics if you didn't vote!

PlumumpkinOgre City Beautiful, Sunshine
05/27/17 7:41 pm

Don't vote for a shiny turd if it is still a turd. Anyone who voted for Trump to spite Hillary is responsible for all the bad things Trump does that they hate or disagree with because they still supported him with a vote. Same can be said for every election.

I used to think it was unpatriotic to not vote, but it increasingly seems like the only way to stay clean as our country guts itself politically

clmcd42 Texas
05/27/17 3:50 pm

No. I'm the exact same way. Voting is useless unless you live in very specific areas, and even then it pretty much has no effect

Kamden popular revolt
05/27/17 3:55 pm

If everyone thought this way...

clmcd42 Texas
05/28/17 9:27 am

Republicans are going to win my state no matter what in the near future. If my state ever becomes a swing state, then I'll vote. There really isn't a point to voting in a state that is not a swing state

DoctorWasdarb Marxist Leninist Maoist
05/27/17 11:51 am

No. I don't believe in bourgeois parliamentary politics, so even I'm tempted not to vote.

Okie1967 The world is crazy
05/27/17 11:00 am

A person's politics are advanced by voting only when the candidate is a very close representation of their beliefs. Otherwise the politics are advanced by not voting in protest.

LeftLibertarian The Age of Outrage
05/27/17 10:37 am

No, there's plenty of reasons why it wouldn't make sense to vote from multiple ideological positions. If they are active local politics or attend demonstrations, protests, or marches. Attending one protest will probably do more to further a political cause than someone who votes in every presidential election, especially if your political views are not on the ballot.

HammeringMan Gods Away On Business
05/27/17 10:27 am

I get the premise. However a well spoken carefully constructed argument in favor of one position another should be listeed to on the merits of its value not upon the color of the shoes, skin, or prior voting record of the speaker.

commonsense America isnt racist
05/27/17 10:02 am

Their opinions on politics become irrelevant.

HammeringMan Gods Away On Business
05/27/17 10:25 am

The Repubs are fortunately way in the minority in Cali. I engage in many vigorous discussions with them even though they have not voted for POTUS

ctskapski x
05/27/17 9:59 am

Depends on the reason for not voting.

Kamden popular revolt
05/27/17 10:02 am

I disagree, but I'd like to know your reasoning. I can't comprehend why people would forfeit their right to vote.

ctskapski x
05/27/17 10:06 am

If they cannot, due to intrinsic beliefs, bring themselves to support any of the candidates available, I feel it would be better to waste ones vote by abstaining than to waste it by voting for something in which one does not believe.

Kamden popular revolt
05/27/17 10:18 am

Does that imply that an abstained vote is also a protest vote? Or is it truly a wasted vote?

ctskapski x
05/27/17 11:47 am

Both?
Its a wasted vote because it could have been counted, and wasn't.
But a vote for something, or someone, in which one does not believe is also wasted, because it's a vote counted, but which doesn't actually represent (and may even wind up directly misrepresenting) the voter's views, which is directly in opposition of what a vote is supposed to do.

ctskapski x
05/27/17 11:49 am

Abstaining from voting, in protest, at least does not misrepresent the potential voter's views, in fact it conveys their disagreement somewhat well.

Kamden popular revolt
05/27/17 12:04 pm

Well said. The response to this thread has opened my mind a bit.