4JC May 26th, 2017 3:21am

Want to know how much insurance premiums have risen in your state since ACA? Here's a report from HHS, with a chart detailing how much by $ amount & %. Avg is double & paying $3,000 more per yr. On exchanges, went from $2,784 per yr to $5,712!

05/26/17 10:59 am

That's a lot more than my hubby makes a month! Lol I can't imagine! So sorry!

Suzan Hawaii
05/27/17 2:53 am

Thank you for saying that. That is very kind

ReligiousCommie No Longer Active
05/26/17 6:17 am

Y'know, you wouldn't have premiums with universal healthcare

05/26/17 10:53 am

I also wouldn't have health care with universal health care. Ask any veteran!

ReligiousCommie No Longer Active
05/26/17 11:39 am

You would if we spent money on it instead of a massive and bloated military and tax cuts for the rich.

05/26/17 12:21 pm

That might be so, but you know they're never going to do either of those things because they're all rich and we have to stay ahead of the other countries on military. I know, we could argue all day about wastes in military spending, but our military personnel still don't have the equipment they need, and it's crippling them overseas.

Let me ask you this one--you're Catholic, right? Are you pro life? Are you in favor of paying for other people's abortions and euthanasias? Are you ok with the possibility that the govt might decide in the future that the elderly and disabled are not contributing members of society and thus should be euthanized instead of paying for their very costly medical bills? THAT's where I see single payer going!

ptellini Homosuperior
05/26/17 5:54 am

I don't need it to see statistics or mainstream media.
I am living it. I am trying to find a better paying position simply to be able to afford my insurance. My insurance was affordable before ACA.

05/26/17 10:59 am

I know what you mean. I'm living it also, as you can see if you read some of my comments here. I just think it's nice to see that it's not just myself, and this study backs up what we've been saying!

theNobamist Silicon Valley
05/26/17 12:43 am

Up, with higher deductibles.
And the medical expense write-off minimum was raised-- that means much less reduction in taxable income due to medical expenses.

05/26/17 11:00 am

So sorry, Nobamist! It's hurting us, also.

05/25/17 9:41 pm

They're assuming that people actually get subsidies. I don't get subsidies and my insurance has gone up from $1800 a year to $3672, which is more than double, or a 100% increase, which agrees with this study.

I know other families that their premiums have tripled and they are now more than their house payments. I know some families that had to drop their insurance so they could pay their house payments!

You would expect a liberal paper to take a liberal slant on this. But the truth is the truth. There are millions of Americans that are hurting due to ACA doubling, tripling and even quadrupling their premiums!

pietsch Another Adoring Fan
05/26/17 6:54 am

We pay more for health insurance than any other single item in our budget. When you combine ALL insurances we pay, it is well above the median salary per year in our state per household! We continue to enrich greedy thieves in our country, if not through excessive taxation and redistribution, then by other exorbitant fees which flow to a small number of corporations. No choice about it.

05/26/17 10:57 am

Oh, man! That is CRAZY that you're paying more on all insurances than the median salary! Just our health insurance is taking more than 1/3 of hubby's salary. I can't imagine how much it would be if we added dental, life, disability, & auto insurance!

05/25/17 8:24 pm

AL went from monthly premium of $178 to $575, an increase of 223%!

I'm thankful that ours only went up 100%! It could be much worse. If it goes up any more, though, I don't know what we're going to do, as we're now on food stamps, which only covers 2/3 of the increase of the insurance.

kspells TheOtherOtherside
05/26/17 1:19 am

Why don't you choose to pay the fine? And if you are on food stamps why can't you qualify to be subsidized? And what do you mean you don't know what you are going to do?

05/26/17 1:27 am

We have to have insurance because we have 12 chronic health conditions. Hubby is on 10 meds that are covered by insurance.
Our insurance is MUCH better than anything we would be able to get through the ACA. If the insurance premiums go up any more, we won't have enough money for basic living expenses, so I don't know what we'll have to cut--it would probably have to be internet, which would cut us off from the world. What I meant was I don't know how we would pay the bills.

The extra $156 a month they're cutting means we have no money for anything extra, like paying for gas to go to a family wedding out of town, buying any gifts for any occasions, nothing for clothing, shoes, classes where I was learning how to make items I could sell, money to put into my business to be able to make money, etc.

05/26/17 1:30 am

Besides the meds, we both have to see several specialists several times a year, also.

Jazzy5 USA
05/26/17 6:18 am

Those that get a subsidy, don't think about the cost to others.
My nephew has to have it he has 3 children. He struggles. The ACA
is a nightmare for him. People don't get it. Because it is good for them, it must be for you.. it's not, it is the biggest hit to his finances..

kspells TheOtherOtherside
05/26/17 3:33 pm

Jazzy5: people without Health insurance take 20% from the annual budget.

kspells TheOtherOtherside
05/26/17 3:37 pm

4JC: you need to look into PAP for all your drugs. Get out all your RX's. List the manufacturers. Contact every single one of their programs. Some might be under the same umbrella company so you could combine programs. Do it before you lose internet. Do it today most have the applications on line.

kspells TheOtherOtherside
05/26/17 3:42 pm

4JC: here's a link. I just got the first one I saw. You are going to want to find assistance that is free. I'll find the one I know about. They also might find your meds in a different manufacturer.
www.rxassist.org/

kspells TheOtherOtherside
05/26/17 3:47 pm

4JC: here is another link
healthfinder.gov/FindServices/SearchContext.aspx?topic=696
I think you need to contact the companies directly. You do not want to pay for a discount plan. You want to enroll in yearly free program. You renew it every year.

05/26/17 5:03 pm

Kspells, we've tried PAPs. They only cover you if you DON'T have insurance!

The pharmaceutical company is covering my one med because my insurance company paid for it for 8 years, BEFORE ACA. They all of a sudden dropped me, saying that they wouldn't cover it because it wasn't FDA approved for my condition, even though they'd been paying for it for 8 years for that condition.

05/26/17 5:05 pm

I'll try to check them out again, though. Thanks for the links!

kspells TheOtherOtherside
05/26/17 7:14 pm

That drug not being approved by FDA for your condition has to have a second RX for it. But it looks like you got it. I still think contacting the companies directly will help. You might be surprised.

05/26/17 7:45 pm

No, there is NO other drug like this. It's so tightly controlled that only one pharmacy in the US is allowed to dispense it.

Yes, I put those links in tabs on Safari and will check them out next week. Thanks, again!

05/25/17 8:22 pm