ebailey1218 July 23rd, 2013 2:12am

People often say America is becoming "socialist" as if its a bad thing. National Parks, Medicare, Medicaid, public libraries, Veterans Administration, public education are all socialist policies. Is socialism an entirely bad thing?

jonfrei the boonies
07/23/13 6:45 am

There's a difference in a population willingly participating in things (like national parks) and having the government take everything & doling out what it thinks you need to survive. Socialism sucks.

jonfrei the boonies
07/23/13 8:05 am

I give my money, you don't take. Easy enough line for me... And yes, it i got to "line item" my taxes, national parks, the VA, and libraries would be included. Other things I would support directly/differently.

ebailey1218 Over The Rainbow
07/23/13 8:25 am

A line on taxes??? Our tax money pays for these "Socialist" programs - isn't that status quo?? I'm not following. You want to pick and choose which programs!

jonfrei the boonies
07/23/13 8:32 am

Yes. That's what "line item" means -- I pay "x" in taxes and I get to say "n/x to parks, n/x to va, n/x to roads" etc. it would be awesome, and would by default cut a whole lot of pork from the budget.

ebailey1218 Over The Rainbow
07/23/13 10:08 am

So what if a bunch of people decided not to pay into National parks. As a result the National Parks end up with a yearly budget of say $30 million (it is currently 3 BILLION) then what happens to NPS? sometimes govt has to protect greater good

jonfrei the boonies
07/23/13 10:19 am

It would demonstrate the priorities of the constituency. No funding, cut the budget. No budget, no services. People who want can contribute more...

ebailey1218 Over The Rainbow
07/23/13 10:21 am

No way you get people to contribute 3 billion. So now many employees of NPS are out of work...fabulous. Sometimes the people need to be protected from themselves

jonfrei the boonies
07/23/13 10:28 am

You don't know that until you try it. I think it would be a very interesting exercise if the IRS got (non binding, at least at first) line item input from all the taxpayers.

Correption Under a Bridge
07/25/13 10:57 am

How about a harpoon to the balls? You won't know it until you try it.

I'll pass. I like the status quo better than the option presented.

MJSeals J.D.
07/22/13 7:48 pm

It is a VERY bad thing, I takes away all wealth. True socialism means the rich get poorer but so do the poor. No one has money except the government