political May 25th, 2017 7:54pm

In general, should a parent be willing to die to save his/her child's life?

Calvinist Amsterdam NL
07/11/17 7:08 am

Hello political. Are you amillenialism or dispy?

political Georgia
07/11/17 8:31 am

Hello - I lean toward amillennialism, but I'm still attempting to understand Revelation in a deeper manner. Some theologians that I greatly respect such as John MacArthur and RC Sproul are Premillennialists.

Calvinist Amsterdam NL
07/11/17 8:48 am

Yes JMac is one of my favorite preachers.

political Georgia
07/11/17 8:57 am

Dispy means dispensationalist, right?

political Georgia
07/11/17 9:16 am

MacArthur describes himself as a "leaky dispensationalist." I just caught the tail end of his sermon on the radio today, which relates to this topic.

cowboy Doors of Perception
05/26/17 8:57 am

Always! I'm not me without my daughter. ❤️

truspec Texas
05/25/17 9:16 pm

Nope. I disagree with the *should*. I don't think it's a moral requirement to die for someone else

Axl752 NY
05/25/17 7:35 pm

Before I had kids I wouldn't have understood this. But I'm pretty sure any parent would die for their kids without thinking twice.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
05/25/17 5:46 pm

Absolutely. That's in the job description.

screename1 Alaska
05/25/17 5:33 pm

I'm not sure "should" explains it. It's just built in to me. I would do anything to save my kids.

screename1 Alaska
05/25/17 6:46 pm

How about you #political ? Would you die for your hypothetical kids?

political Georgia
05/25/17 6:52 pm

Without a doubt - if I can ever find the one, there would not be anything more special besides God than God's gift of a child.

screename1 Alaska
05/25/17 7:41 pm

Amen, brother!

sneakysusan
05/25/17 4:50 pm

"Should" is a tricky word

EquaISideEcon more conservative than u
05/25/17 4:32 pm

Depends on the age I could understand passing on anything less than 12

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
05/25/17 4:59 pm

Not saving them if they're under 12?

FATSHADOW Cyborg Gorilla
05/25/17 3:47 pm

If we're talking scenarios where one of us has to go...I would die for anyone's child.

I couldn't look myself in the mirror if I could have prevented it and didn't.

MrMilkdud
05/25/17 3:03 pm

Of course.

EarlyBird Portland
05/25/17 2:47 pm

I'm not sure if they "should" but as a parent I can tell you, it's a natural instinct.

FacePalm That Trick Never Works
05/25/17 2:28 pm

Interesting question!

I am not absolutely certain about the "should", especially if their are other children in the picture. But generally most parents are, and those that are not are often viewed with suspicion. So society certainly thinks they should.

auntiesamm Orange County CA
05/25/17 2:23 pm

I would die for my children or grandchildren.

Jazzy5 USA
05/25/17 1:39 pm

I would.

Okie1967 Fudge joe biden
05/25/17 1:23 pm

Yes, of course. It's the parental instinct and dignified, honorable.

OhTheIrony Learning from you
05/25/17 1:18 pm

No, I believe the life of a parent should be valued more than the life of a child.

bnnt Los Angeles
05/25/17 1:23 pm

Please explain your reasoning?

OhTheIrony Learning from you
05/25/17 1:27 pm

Parents are often responsible for the care of multiple children. If a parent dies, you could leave many children fatherless/motherless, which can have adverse consequences for them for the rest of their lives.

If a child dies, only one person is affected, the child. Of course, family members are going to be affected, but studies have shown that islets easier for siblings to deal with the loss of a sibling than with the loss of a parent.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/25/17 2:19 pm

That sounds nice on paper, OhTheIrony. But are you a parent? And if so, would you be able to stand there and let someone murder your child in front of you? What if the other kids are with you? What message does that send to them about your protection of them in the future?

I know I'd jump in front of anyone or anything that was going to kill any of my kids or grandkids, or my kids spouses, without batting an eye. Why? I don't know if I could survive their deaths, because I love them so much! You might as well kill me, also!

sea California
05/25/17 2:24 pm

As a parent, I am willing to die for my kids. I agree with Ohtheirony. Emotionally I would want to sacrifice myself for any one of them, however logically it would be better for me to live and for them to die. I fit the scenario mentioned above and I have other people to care for. Also think of the guilt that your child would feel for the rest of his life, knowing that you died to save them.

bnnt Los Angeles
05/25/17 4:19 pm

Instinctively, I couldn't bear the thought of letting my child (or wife) die if I could have prevented it with my own life.

Logistically, I have life insurance if something were to happen to me. But in the end, I would want them to have a life to live even over my own.

OhTheIrony Learning from you
05/25/17 4:24 pm

I am not a parent, no.

I understand that on an emotional level, it is rather unthinkable for a parent not to sacrifice their life for their child. However, I believe that if we want to approach this logically, we have to step back and ask ourselves what the best interest of the family unit is.

I don't mean to diminish the value of children, I only ask that you realize the real value that parents provide.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/25/17 5:07 pm

TheIrony, once you have children (if you do), you'll realize that when it comes to the lives of our children, there is NO thinking logically! Lol It's ALL emotional, imho. Becoming a parent changes you, making you completely responsible for the life of someone else, in a way that no other relationship does. It's unconditional love at it's finest. I just can't imagine, in the heat of the moment being CAPABLE of thinking logically, when it comes down to the lives of my kids.

It would be different if there is something I can do to save my own life, in order to change theirs, like in the plane crash scenario, where you take care of yourself in order to take care of them.

I'm also taking into account that my kids have another parent to take care of them should I die trying to protect them.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/25/17 5:09 pm

In other words, that mama bear instinct would kick in and I would have saved their lives in a split second, before I even have time to think of the consequences. It's the instinct that makes parents sling their arm across the car seat to protect that child when they slam on the brakes, even if there is no longer a child sitting there because they're now driving on their own! Lol

OhTheIrony Learning from you
05/25/17 5:17 pm

Well, sure, I can understand that impulse. But there's a difference between instinct and the more philosophical question of how we determine the value of a human being's life.

This question is asking about the latter, not the former. And further, not all of our instincts are moral. As a Christian yourself, I suspect you understand that.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/25/17 5:41 pm

I can't speak to what you say about the intent of the question because I can't see the question on my iPad and can't remember exactly how it was worded. Sorry.

And I don't understand what you mean about the moral question, as it pertains to my being a Christian. Can you explain, because I would like to explore that!

OhTheIrony Learning from you
05/25/17 6:04 pm

For example, we all have biological instincts that were not proud of, like lust. I'm just trying to say that not all our instincts are moral.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/25/17 6:19 pm

Oh, ok! Exactly! I agree completely! Thanks!

political Georgia
05/25/17 1:03 pm

Why not sacrifice?

ZaQ777 Pittsburgh
05/25/17 3:14 pm

I mostly take exception to the word "should". I don't think it's unreasonable to sacrifice yourself depending on your values, but a child is not inherently more valuable than their parent. They should not be obligated to kill themself.

political Georgia
05/25/17 8:30 pm

Most parents would say that their children are more precious than themselves, correct?

ZaQ777 Pittsburgh
05/26/17 3:34 am

I don't know, maybe. I don't speak for them. All I know is that I wouldn't say that.