FieryFury May 25th, 2017 7:22pm

Do you know how to sew a button onto a pair of pants, top, etc.?

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
05/25/17 6:46 pm

Yep. Born of necessity. Incidentally, I learned how to iron from YouTube and sew buttons from WikiHow. 😎

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/25/17 3:06 pm

I'm a seamstress with a small business. Mom taught me to sew in 4th grade, & I won 4-H awards at the county level at that age.
Mom had her own home business, & 1 client for which she made an entirely new wardrobe every new season. We often wondered where that woman put all those clothes!

I made my school wardrobe my sr year of high school, & have made clothes for my kids (including my 3 sons) & my grandkids. I've also made complete baby nurseries, (ceiling to floor curtains, crib sheets, dust ruffle, bumper pads, organizers, changing pads, blanket & recovered a lamp shade to match), repaired bedskirts for a local hotel, & completed quilts for people that had quilt tops. My daughter & I designed & I made a baby sling, & I made several organizers for baby supplies & a boppy for her baby. I also made her maternity/nursing clothes, as well as some for myself when I was pregnant with her!

I also do counted x stitch, machine embroidery & applique, plastic canvas, & some crochet.

FieryFury America
05/25/17 4:11 pm

Wow that's extremely impressive. Nice job!!

In my family, my grandma was really the only one who knew how to both sew and crochet. I don't know everything she made but, I do know when she grew up, she used to make clothes for herself and her 3 daughters. Even up into her 90s, she would sew and fix her husbands socks and underwear and pants if they had holes in them.

When myself and my 3 cousins were born, she made us all baby blankets as well as crocheted a baby sweater, and hat for me and when I was 4, she also crocheted for me a beautiful larger blanket.

She also made me a Teddy bear as well as a duck. I plan on keeping them forever.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/25/17 5:37 pm

Thanks! That's great that you have those keepsakes and intend to keep them! My mom passed away when I was pregnant with our 2nd, but I still have baby blankets she made for both of them, and I cross stitched blankets for the younger two, so they would have a special blanket also.

My mom made my oldest a stuffed pickup truck that had detachable tires (they buttoned on and off) so he could "change the tires". It also had a hood that raised and the doors opened. It was so cool!

I'm currently teaching our oldest granddaughter how to sew.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/25/17 5:39 pm

Oh, and you mentioned underwear. My mom even made men's underwear and did liquid embroidery on them to celebrate Alabama football's national titles! Lol

She also made slippers, peignoir sets, draperies, cheerleader costumes for UA cheerleaders, men's suit jackets, etc.

FieryFury America
05/25/17 7:18 pm

That truck sounds awesome!! Its so nice to be able to make items for your kids to hold onto.

I'm hoping one day I'll be able to learn how to crochet if I ever get the time

FieryFury America
05/25/17 7:19 pm

Wow that's amazing. She sounds like she was very talented. I've never heard of liquid embroidery though. Thats a new concept to me.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/25/17 7:45 pm

Yes, it is! Speaking of crochet, I crocheted an afghan for my MIL over 20 years ago, and then did counted cross stitched tulips all over the top of it. It's a unique product, using two different needle art forms!

Google Artex Paint, or look it up on Etsy or Pinterest. The Wiki article is not about the Artex paint I'm talking about, though. That company did home parties, much like Tupperware parties, in which women owned their own business, and taught other women at home parties how to use the different techniques. My mom was quite good at it. I have two Native Americans, done on black velvet, hanging in my den, which she made decades ago.

There is another company that makes liquid embroidery tubes, but I don't think it has caught on like Artex did. My mom had two big canisters full of the tubes. I held onto them for years, but finally gave them up because they had dried out. I wish I had them now, because they internet would probably help me find something to reactivate them!

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/25/17 7:46 pm

You held the tubes in your hand, like a crayon, and they had a roller ball at the tip, which allowed the paint to come out at just the right speed. I still have some bookmarks my mom painted for me when I was a teen!