rebelfury76 May 25th, 2017 4:13pm

Do you make judgments about people based on their spelling and grammar?

DoctorWasdarb Marxist Leninist Maoist
05/26/17 12:02 pm

On the internet not really. In an academic setting I do.

DoctorWasdarb Marxist Leninist Maoist
05/26/17 12:37 pm

Because on the internet where people are more casual, they're less likely to check their spelling or grammar before posting. I do it frequently, and I know I'm not the only one.

GeneralDevin MN
05/26/17 12:44 am

Only if it's awful. I make exceptions for foreigners.

tech24073
05/25/17 9:45 pm

Nope, my father had horrible spelling, but he was one of the best programmers and mathematicians I have ever known. This was not my observation of him, to be honest I did not understand that level of work he did. This was a comment I had heard from multiple sources during my entire life. When he was writing, his brain was just elsewhere and still working on "bigger issues" as best I could tell.

dudley northern Virginia woods
05/25/17 7:12 pm

I do but if I correct someone I feel bad. It either hurts their feelings or they get angry. When I hear, for example, a statement like " None of the people were bothered by the outcome", I cannot help but say "WAS bothered!" . It still annoys me.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
05/25/17 6:37 pm

What do y'all think (before I give my actual answer)?

⚜ ᎢᎻᎬ ᏩᎡᎪᎷᎷᎪᎡ ᏢᎾᏞᏆᏟᎬ ⚜

smahg
05/25/17 7:39 pm

Ummmm...let me think....

Tariq88 Utah
05/25/17 6:11 pm

No, especially online. One place where you are bound to make mistakes.

HammeringMan Gods Away On Business
05/25/17 4:56 pm

I check out the entire package. Then recheck. My handyman was sleeping under a bush before he showed up for a free lunch. He can't spell fish but he can replace a starter, plumb a sink, hang a door, and drink two fifths when he gets frustrated.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
05/25/17 4:12 pm

I spend most of my time with someone who learned English as an adult. Her spelling and grammar is unique, to say the least, and she's still the smartest person I know.

HammeringMan Gods Away On Business
05/25/17 4:54 pm

Hmmmm- treasured insight. Would your share her First Language?

Zod Above Pugetropolis
05/25/17 6:31 pm

She is and natively speaks German. But she's American too, a dual citizen for almost four years now.

HammeringMan Gods Away On Business
05/25/17 7:29 pm

Does she know where I can find the second fuse box in my BMW

Zod Above Pugetropolis
05/25/17 8:07 pm

No clue, but she offered to Google it for you (she's kind of a smartass). Behind (technically forward of) the glove box, in the trunk/rear fender area, and on the firewall or fender under the hood are my guesses. My '69 2002 had fuses but didn't really need them - continuity failed at the corroded grounds before anything ever got very hot.

HammeringMan Gods Away On Business
05/25/17 8:57 pm

2002- you seek to expose jealousy!! So much a better ride than its humble replacement 3 series

And tell your smart as a whip wife I do appreciate the nudge. I will get those boxes ID'd and the fuse to the soft top system replaced. It's time for an open ride

sweetnes34 Outta Phucks
05/25/17 2:39 pm

I use to. 2 things changed that. My aunt's spelling and grammar is horrible. I said something to my mom once and she told me my aunt dropped out in the 7th grade in order to get a job to help around the house. And an online acquaintance use to drive me nuts with all her typos, one day after Xmas she had this perfectly written monologue and it was about her brain injury and how she got a dictation program for Xmas.
I don't judge anymore. I don't make corrections, unless you're being a jerk correcting people while making mistakes yourself or I know you personally.

smahg
05/25/17 7:45 pm

I used to correct grammar often, but I finally realized it was useless.

Amykl Temecula, CA
05/25/17 2:17 pm

Not judgements about the person, I just notice the typo.

shygal47 Florida east coast
05/25/17 11:54 am

Not online stuff, but for printed works then yes - to say otherwise would be to encourage poor editing and proof checking.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
05/25/17 11:00 am

Depends on the circumstance

followingsea Illinois is
05/25/17 10:35 am

No, I'd be a fine one to do that. ; )

NKarta Please excuse my sanity
05/25/17 9:34 am

Depends who, what we are discussing, and using what platform. Texting a friend about sports, i don't judge. Emailing a college i do.

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
05/25/17 9:46 am

Why is it any different? Either you speak English or you don't.

NKarta Please excuse my sanity
05/25/17 9:48 am

Because i know my friends can, but when we are casually talking many times we don't bother with proper spelling, grammar, or punctuation. We just go for speed. I expect certain people to do it the right way all the time.

LibArtie SW Connecticut
05/25/17 12:54 pm

Exactly. Efficiency trumps perfection when writing informally.

skinner Jersey City
05/25/17 9:26 am

Not over an occasional mistake. That said, if it becomes a chronic problem, then I do think less of them.

liam2013 iowa
05/25/17 9:17 am

No. I am a poor speller and make errors in grammar when typing fast. I hope persons don't hold that against me.

BeachSt Coastal Virginia