Zinkshadow1 May 25th, 2017 3:32pm

ronderman North Carolina
05/25/17 6:01 pm

Freedom of speech is freedom to publicly be stupid.

Puzz1edOrc ion know
05/25/17 5:55 pm

People are really dumb for denying it, but there doesn't need to be a thought police.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
05/25/17 4:25 pm

We really should try to stomp out stupidity wherever we find it, and denying such a major historical fact isn't just average stupidity, it is willful short-bus special stupidity.

HammeringMan Gods Away On Business
05/25/17 5:14 pm

Ouch
I ride a short bus occasionally.
You are rarely PC incorrect.
But I share your sentiment.

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
05/26/17 12:30 pm

Stupidity isn't illegal ... and shouldn't be.

Suzan Hawaii
05/25/17 3:59 pm

They should be ashamed that they let that go on on their continent

PlumumpkinOgre City Beautiful, Sunshine
05/25/17 2:36 pm

They deserve to be laughed at and ridiculed, but having laws against that? That is stupid

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
05/25/17 1:18 pm

This may surprise those of you who know how passionate I am about the Holocaust and Holocaust education.

I do NOT think the government should punish or restrict people who deny Holocaust deniers or revisionists. It's a slippery slope against freedom of expression. I know that's how it's done in Europe, but it's not the American way.

Let them tell their lies. We can fight them with truth and education, but keep the government out of it.

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
05/25/17 3:03 pm

I'm curious about the opinions of the following people, on the question in this poll:

@chinito
@goldz
@LibArtie
@ozzy
@NKarta
@RussianThunder
@BrokenMirror
@613dimples

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
05/25/17 3:04 pm

Question is:

"It is illegal in the majority of European countries to publicly deny the holocaust. Do you agree that there should be measures taken against holocaust deniers?"

LibArtie SW Connecticut
05/25/17 3:06 pm

I agree with @gow48 below. Free speech.

NKarta Please excuse my sanity
05/25/17 3:07 pm

Thanks for the tag GA. I think in Europe such laws are OK, because they don't protect speech to the extent that we do and there are more holocaust deniers there. However, here in the US, it should be completely legal. We should condemn it wherever we see it, as I'm sure we will on this poll, and we should tell the deniers why they're wrong. If not for them, for those who might hear their points and through ignorance or misunderstanding think they are right. That is the main reason that I sometimes argue with them, for other people who they might affect.

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
05/25/17 3:17 pm

Artie, I already said I was for free speech. Read my opening comment here.

NKarta, well said.

ozzy
05/25/17 3:42 pm

free speech. The government should stay out.

LibArtie SW Connecticut
05/25/17 3:54 pm

Thanks GA. I share your sentiment.

HammeringMan Gods Away On Business
05/25/17 5:19 pm

Germany imposed vigorous laws post WW2. Many are clearly in violation of freedom of speech as defined in our Constitution.

That raises an interesting question of what should be done when hate speech by a select group of people can wrongfully define the nature of the community. Suppress the speech?

RussianThunder Russia and USA
05/25/17 7:29 pm

A couple of years ago, Russia outlawed it too

I am against it. I lost family in the Holocaust and find denial offensive but if you make it illegal it becomes a "cool forbidden thing". As more time passes we will see more of this. It will, in the future, encourage it, I believe.
I also think people have free speech. A denier is a moron but he still has free speech. If he is only denying it, he has that right. If he is trying to create another one, he has crossed a line.

Do nazis have the right to march in Skokie? yes they do. Do the Westboro baptist cretins have the right to bash gays, Jews, Muslims,.....basically everyone.....yes they do. As much as I hate it, the US gives them that right. Holding opinions should not be illegal, as distasteful as they may be.

In fact, I'm for not dissuading people from wearing no-Nazi and Holocaust denial t shirts. It's the equivalent of having "moron" stamped on your head. Saves us the troubling of finding out for ourselves you're an idiot.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
05/25/17 7:33 pm

Making denial illegal makes it the forbidden fruit. It has an allure for people who want to get edgy and rebellious.

Although on the other hand, it is not illegal in Ukraine and there are neo-Nazis galore in that country.

NKarta Please excuse my sanity
05/25/17 7:34 pm

Thats because they hate jews. No law will change that.

HammeringMan Gods Away On Business
05/25/17 8:00 pm

There is a real sensitive history between the Ukraine and Stalin's little famine. That probably explains that sad misplaced hatred.

NKarta Please excuse my sanity
05/25/17 8:10 pm

Nah. They had pogroms going on for hundreds of years before stalin was even thought of.

chinito Florida
05/26/17 3:47 am

Thanks for inviting me to this conversation GA.

I believe in freedom of speech. So unless it's a call for violence it should be permitted.

But we have to make sure that the real history is taught in schools.

gow488 Korea
05/25/17 1:13 pm

No. Free speech.

abusara i drink and i know things
05/25/17 11:12 am

I agree that European countries get to make there own laws, regardless of how butt hurt some Americans feel about it.

Mark3
05/25/17 9:32 am

FREEDOM!

For idiots too.

liam2013 iowa
05/25/17 9:14 am

Yes. They need to be rounded up and put into day camps for re-education.

Zinkshadow1 Tallahassee
05/25/17 10:47 am

So because someone doesn't agree with you they should be rounded up and put into camps for "re-education"?
That sounds like tyranny to me.

NKarta Please excuse my sanity
05/25/17 3:08 pm

We should put Holocaust deniers camps? Do you really not see any irony in that statement?