Show Of Hands May 25th, 2017 2:39pm

Is eating right or exercising regularly more important for a healthy lifestyle?

DevG
11/16/17 9:48 pm

Poor diet is what causes most health issues. Any health plan you can think consist of 80% diet and 20% exercise. You can’t work off eating bad food all day everyday.

alkie New York
05/30/17 7:34 pm

The answer is food. Mostly all health problems come from a poor diet.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
05/26/17 7:07 pm

You can be healthy if you are in a wheelchair by eating right. Exercise does no good if you go home and eat 10 candy bars everyday.

They both have to be part of your life style. I would put more emphasis on eating right though.

badattitude no place like home
05/26/17 6:19 pm

You can't exercise yourself skinny if you don't eat right.

alval California
05/26/17 10:13 am

The right foods, quantity and timing is key. You can exercises as much as possible and still not be healthy if your diet is poor. Whereas you can go without ever exercising and be healthy, so long as you eat well.

mfjd1948 rural johnson co iowa
05/26/17 9:33 am

We had a next door neighbor when I was growing up. A widow who mowed her own grass with a rotary blade and it was a very large yard. She always looked trim. She lived to be 98, but look like she was only in her 70s. I don't know whar she ate, but I am sure it wasn't a lot. I would say keeping active was her secret.

suppressedID suck it Kyle
05/26/17 6:38 am

This is America: "eating right " means only 1 Super Big Gulp a day.

Pres55555 Gone.
05/26/17 6:48 am

One is a little low for me...

phalnx Ohio
05/26/17 4:47 am

I'd say 80% exercise, 20% diet. Both are key, but if you exercise enough, you can burn off damn near any amount of junk food. Believe me, I have. Good 'ol First Law of Thermodynamics πŸ‘

LazySteelworker USA
05/26/17 1:11 am

Without a doubt food, I know this from experience.
I was on a good exercise routine for the better part of a year but continued to eat tons of junk food and didn't drop a pound, after some serious thought and planning we changed up the food plan and I shed 30# in just a few months with less exercise to boot.

CutCopy Wedding
05/25/17 10:11 pm

Eat good look good.

Eat good fu ck good πŸ˜‰

FieryFury America
05/25/17 7:01 pm

I've been paying very close attention to the food I eat and the calories I consume. Yet, even though I initially lost 7 lbs, I've been regaining the weight recently again yet I'm exercising and still watching my weight yet I'm not losing. Its extremely frustrating!!

toadder
05/25/17 7:15 pm

Not sure what you are doing for exercise but you should be mindful of your fat vs muscle composition. You may be gaining muscle which weighs more. Oh course there are general plateaus as well....good luck!

cornybread The Large Malus Fruit
05/25/17 5:46 pm

Speaking from experience, I think it's 100x harder to work out if you're not properly fueling your body. Knowing what you're putting into your body is important if you want to stay on track, and then obviously exercise takes things to the next level.

peacenskis Alaska
05/25/17 5:43 pm

You are what you eat

tony1987
05/25/17 7:59 pm

This user is currently being ignored

BossHogg Kentucky
05/25/17 5:08 pm

My dad was in a wheelchair (paraplegic) for 60 years, he recently passed away at the ripe old age of 82. Clearly no exercise but he always consumed a very healthy diet of fruits and vegetables along with regular meals.

rayd
05/25/17 4:27 pm

Not a fair question. Both are important. But if you want to live to a ripe old age, choose your parents carefully!

Suzan Hawaii
05/25/17 3:48 pm

The best thing to not get Alzheimer's is to walk each and every day. He gets blood and oxygen to the brain.

ItsYourBoy Roman Empire
05/25/17 3:47 pm

You can eat healthy and exercise a little and be Ok but if you eat unhealthy and train like the Dwayne Johnson aren't going to get anywhere

FATSHADOW Cyborg Gorilla
05/25/17 3:41 pm

70/30 split.

You cant outrun a shitty diet forever.

Diet is the priority.

ItsWedMyDudes
05/25/17 3:39 pm

I know it's food, ideally both. But although I exercise regularly and don't eat much I can't help but enjoy pizza or pasta. I'd rather enjoy some bad food once in a while than live on nothing but pineapple and activated almonds, I'd kms.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
05/25/17 2:57 pm

It doesn't take much less of the one or much more of the other to be fine. As long as you are getting enough calories and the necessary protein, vitamins, and minerals, your diet is healthy enough. If weight is an issue, eat less, not different. As long as you are able to do what you need to do, you're probably getting enough exercise. It doesn't take much. Just walking a few extra miles a day is plenty. And if weight is an issue, eat less, because you just about can't do enough exercise to lose weight without exercising self-control.

mstory918 Manhattan
05/25/17 2:51 pm

Depends on what type of gains I'm going for. Cutting up my 6 pack for summer? 220gs protein, 160gs carbs, 50gs fat and 1600 cals per day. Bulking for the winter? Literally eat until I'm sick. 8-10k cals/day. I'd say I'm healthy as all hell.

WyCud12 NY State
05/25/17 2:40 pm

You survive on food, not exercise.

Gunfighter06 Iowa, since 1846
05/25/17 12:48 pm

The proven science of calorie reduction tells us that exercise is more important. Want to have fun at a pizza buffet? Fine, go for a 12 mile forced march first.

Finny Conservative Lesbian
05/25/17 11:32 am

Eating healthy keeps you at a normal weight
Exercise can help you tone or put muscle on your body

You want both ideally

JDoe Its a gift
05/25/17 11:19 am

Regular exercise leads to a desire to eat healthy

ELATeacher
05/25/17 10:30 am

Probably food, but I eat horribly. I do however run 20-60 miles a week (it varies a lot depending on the season and how busy I am). I should eat better but I honestly just don't feel like it. If I can run enough to maintain a healthy weight then I am not going to worry much about what I am eating. When I cannot run as much, I eat less calories, but still don't eat healthy.

rambo088 kansas
05/25/17 10:30 am

I can eat whatever and not change much, so exercise for me.

soflasooner Ft. Lauderdale
05/25/17 10:13 am

Both, since Intake > Calories Burned ==> weight gain.

It's like the federal budget - if only politicians could limit themselves to spending only what the treasury received in taxes, we wouldn't have $20 trillion in debt.

timeout Boston Strong
05/25/17 10:03 am

Both are important but I said food. I need to work harder at both.

IEatzCookies Alderaan
05/25/17 9:39 am

both are equally important. it's like asking whether food or water is more important. water is only slightly more important as exercise is slightly more important

IEatzCookies Alderaan
05/25/17 9:40 am

also, I eat a good amount of junk food but I exercise a lot, and I lost nearly 50 pounds, and I'm in pretty good shape

Okie1967 Lets go brandon
05/25/17 9:19 am

The experts say "food."

willg basically Dulles Airport
05/25/17 9:06 am

Having eaten better and exercised separately and together. Both is the best, Eating well is the second most, and exercising is also good, but unless you are doing exercise at the level of a military training camp, then you have a hard time out working a bad diet, and even the most rigorous workouts won't cut your abs and if you are eating trash. I feel like this isn't a slam dunk and probably depends a bit on your individual metabolism. I do think some people are probably best served by exercise, but I don't think it's the majority of folks.

clmcd42 Texas
05/25/17 8:54 am

If your goal is just to remain relatively healthy, then you can achieve that by eating right and doing fairly minimal physical activity.

McGoona
05/25/17 8:49 am

They're both important, but I'm in favor of exercise. By going to the gym regularly, I'm able to eat more comfortably and not have to count my calories as strictly. Lifting weights allows me to both burn calories as well as enabling me to put on healthy muscle weight. Exercising, or lifting weights, is also a lot more fun than strictly controlling your diet. I still try to avoid some foods, like pastas and sugary foods because they are high in carbs, and that wouldn't help me reach my goals.

Luftwaffe South of Heaven
05/25/17 8:40 am

Depends on your goal, but I'd say food is more important than exercise.

RNJen Bay Area USA
05/25/17 8:21 am

Ingest a brick of Crisco and a 2 liter of Coke everyday and see if you can still exercise;)

liam2013 iowa
05/25/17 8:18 am

I think eating is more important. We are what we eat. Eating a balance Mediterranean/part vegan diet in moderation and never eating to excess. drinking no alcohol or only in moderation (occasional glass of wine or mix drink with food). Avoid animal fat, saturated fats, sugar and added salts. The fewer free radicals are cells are exposed to in the course of living the longer our cell life and thus aging. Also look before crossing the street so you don't get hit by a bus.

Kay41 the Midwest
05/25/17 8:10 am

Diet.

But, a good diet and adequate amount of exercise really go hand in hand for optimal health.

Zinkshadow1 Tallahassee
05/25/17 8:05 am

You can exercise for two or three hours per day but if you eat like crap you'll never be healthy.

bluejayguy26 Principle over Party
05/25/17 7:51 am

Food, without question. You can't out-exercise a bad diet.

Luftwaffe South of Heaven
05/25/17 8:41 am

Yes, you can, depending on the exercise.

bluejayguy26 Principle over Party
05/25/17 10:02 am

Please show me an exercise that can burn 3,000+ calories a day. Even if you manage to rationalize this, tell me how the average sedentary person can keep up such a routine for weeks on end.

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
05/25/17 10:24 am

I said food in the poll, but you can exercise 3k easy

Hell, Michael phelps was on a 12,000 calorie diet at one point

www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/michael-phelps-diet-for-the-rio-olympics-2016-8

MericaTakesAll For God and Country
05/25/17 11:05 am

Even though you can theoretically out-exercise a bad diet.. Your organs and arteries would be in bad shape.

bluejayguy26 Principle over Party
05/25/17 12:10 pm

I wouldn't compare the calorie consumption of a world class athlete to that of the average American. What Phelps was doing is like 6 times what most people need to eat in a day. Besides, he was exercising in the time that most Americans are sitting at their desk. Anybody who has a job can't do what Phelps was doing.

bluejayguy26 Principle over Party
05/25/17 12:11 pm

Mericka, I realize it's theoretical. That's why I'm just trying to make the point that it is completely unsustainable. In Coffee's example of Phelps, even he can't sustain such a diet either.

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
05/25/17 1:54 pm

You said show me an exercise that can burn 3k a day so I did

Luftwaffe South of Heaven
05/25/17 5:54 pm

If you consume calories that under your caloric intake, you'll burn fat. That's a fact. You can eat a whole Pizza a day while sitting in an office and still lose weight. That's why I claim that it depends on your exercise and goals. Is it the best way? No, but it is a way.

Although, I try not to eat unhealthy, because Gluttony is a sin, and I feel like shit afterward, even while performing my workout properly.

Luftwaffe South of Heaven
05/25/17 5:55 pm

Also, if I sprint in intervals of 30 sec with short break periods for an hour or so, I'll definitely burn close to 1000 calories.

PoOtiUs SoCal
05/25/17 11:37 pm

No you can't out exercise a bad diet. Being healthy is more about body composition at BMI. Sure you burn enough calories, but what about gut, brain, skin, organ, and artery health? How many bodybuilders or strong men are actually healthy?

osouless Whats Next
05/25/17 7:46 am

You eat right you'll only need a very minimal amount of physical activity per day/week. Now, will you be in any sort of decent athletic condition? No way. But your weight and bodily health will be just fine.