Finny May 24th, 2017 11:38pm

Would psychology or pre-law be better to pair with criminology (job wise)? Comment also: if anything else is better.

Think Lovin Life
05/25/17 10:58 am

Psychology is for the kids who don't want to study and don't need to learn anything because mommy and daddy have them covered.

geddy Colorado
05/25/17 8:23 am

I have a psychology degree and a law degree. I don't think you would learn much in a psychology class that would be very helpful in law enforcement. They just don't get into enough detail. Maybe a clinical psych class would help you identify someone suffering from a mental illness, but you would need a class specifically focused on criminal psychology to understand the criminal mindset. I've never taken a pre-law class so I don't know what they teach. But any extra information about criminal and constitutional law could be helpful in your job. So I would lean toward pre-law. However, if this is just a minor, you might be better off taking Spanish or something entirely different that interests you. I took some literature, Buddhism, and science classes that gave me a more well-rounded education.

HammeringMan Gods Away On Business
05/24/17 7:56 pm

Go for psychology don't understand your potential criminal.

Pre-law is a mishmash of subjects that really does not even prepare you for Law School.

Waterboarding prepares you for law school

HammeringMan Gods Away On Business
05/24/17 7:57 pm

SORRY: go for psychology to better understand the criminal mind set.

Myrmidon
05/24/17 7:17 pm

I'd go with psychology. Anything you need to know law wise you'll learn during your criminal justice classes or job training. Pre-law would only be really useful if you plan on becoming a lawyer, while psychology will be useful no matter what field you go into. Psychology will be especially helpful in knowing how to better deal with people.

Finny Conservative Lesbian
05/24/17 7:18 pm

Criminal Justice isn't Criminology

Criminal Justice = laws and producers
Criminology = study of why people commit crimes, not what are crimes

Myrmidon
05/24/17 7:23 pm

If you major in criminology you'll still have to take criminal justice classes, unless your school has weird requirements.

jfish82285 Tennessean in Colorado
05/24/17 7:49 pm

I'd like to interject to say that a pre-law major isn't that great for entrance to a law school let alone a career in law.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
05/24/17 6:35 pm

Psychology...pre-Law with criminology is redundant.

@orgblu10 - do you agree?

Finny Conservative Lesbian
05/24/17 6:43 pm

Criminology doesn't focus on law, it focuses on sociology of crime - why people commit crimes not what is a crime, processes, etc

Neither are redundant

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
05/24/17 6:51 pm

But pre-law typically has very few legal courses, most are usually criminal justice courses. That said, this could vary by school.

Finny Conservative Lesbian
05/24/17 6:54 pm

Hmm I should look into that.
That could be useful since I'm missing that aspect

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
05/24/17 7:13 pm

What is your ultimate goal with the degree job-wise?

Finny Conservative Lesbian
05/24/17 7:20 pm

Working in a police department as either patrol or detective ( will get a better feel which one while I'm there ) and then after years of experience, US Marshal if I can get it tho it's slim cause they don't take many people

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
05/24/17 7:27 pm

Okay, then, I would say Criminal Justice.

orgblu10 Shamerica
05/24/17 8:40 pm

I agree, Bama. Psych with Criminology would be a good combination, or Pre-Law with a Psych minor or double major.

ctskapski x
05/24/17 5:21 pm

Criminology? Psychology.
Criminal justice would be pre-law

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/24/17 4:48 pm

Is this a personal question? Are you going to school to be a cop?

If so, I think either would be helpful. Pre-law would inform you as to what rules you have to follow to make sure that your arrests stick.

Psychology would be helpful in dealing with the public, especially in working with those with mental health issues.

Finny Conservative Lesbian
05/24/17 4:53 pm

I want to get into law enforcement, yes, and I want to be able to put myself in a good position to get a job since I'm spending all this money.

I'm not sure which is better however or if I'm looking in the wrong place

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/24/17 5:00 pm

I have a friend that went to college for law enforcement, but has never used it for anything but dispatcher. I don't know why. I would be willing to ask her opinion, if you would like me to ask her what she would do if she could start over. Would that be helpful?

Finny Conservative Lesbian
05/24/17 5:09 pm

Sure ! Thank you.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/24/17 5:11 pm

You're welcome. It might be a while before I can get in touch with her. I'll message her. If I don't get back to you in the next few days, please tag me back into the convo, because I might lose the poll notification!

Finny Conservative Lesbian