Squidboy May 24th, 2017 3:02pm

Several companies are now providing 'egg-freezing' so employees can have babies later in their careers. Do you think this is a positive trend?

Zod Above Pugetropolis
05/24/17 12:51 pm

Not really. We have plenty of people and babies already, so if it is inconvenient now, why not just skip having them? But sooner rather than later seems to be the best time to have kids. Why not just get them over with while the employee is still just learning their craft, rather than in the middle of their most productive (at work) years?

Korosensei Maine
05/25/17 8:27 am

Well Zod about this why not let them have kids when they have settled into their job and can do it AND be good parents (plus have money saved up) as opposed to when they will be in a frantic rush

Zod Above Pugetropolis
05/25/17 2:44 pm

When they have kids is up to the wannabe parents. But from the employer's perspective, it seems like the least experienced employees are the least useful, most easily done without, and (at least certainly should be) the lowest paid and least expensive to replace. I'd offer it as a balancer to female employees if I was having trouble recruiting them, but I'd rather offer other incentives to help them get the kid stuff out of the way while they are young, before they get good enough at their jobs for me to need them. Kid leave, on-site daycare, etc.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
05/24/17 10:43 am

How much later? I'm 35 and feel it's late to have kids.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
05/24/17 8:30 pm

My parents had me at 20, my grandparents were early 40s. We did a lot together, they were fun. Now as an adult my mom and her husband are my best friends who we do fun things with. Having kids when older makes those things harder

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
05/24/17 10:39 am

Positive. I think children are blessings.

followingsea Illinois is
05/24/17 9:40 am

I really don't know, I thought it was all an accident.

suppressedID IMEACH BIDEN
05/24/17 9:35 am

Having kids when you are more mature, financially settles, and want them? Absofreakinglutely!

cpaswr just say the letters
05/24/17 9:35 am

Paying for IVF on top of that would be better.

MrMilkdud
05/24/17 9:18 am

No. Delaying parenthood beyond normal fertile years isn't good for children for all the reasons children who are raised by their grandparents tend to have a unique set of problems.
These companies should find ways to empower their employees to have children naturally, at natural childbearing ages.

PartyFree Nowhere in Particular
05/24/17 9:48 pm

Wouldn't you think the reason why there are problems with grandparents raising their grandkids could possibly be that they weren't the greatest parents to begin with? I mean, if they had raised responsible humans, there wouldn't be a reason for them to be raising the kids, other than a parent's death, which brings a whole other host of problems that don't have to do with the age of the caregivers.

MrMilkdud
05/24/17 9:58 pm

There are plenty of reasons grandparents end up raising their grandkids- and not all of them are the result of the grandparents own inability to raise their own kids properly.

But there are a lot of things specifically related to aging that present problems for grandparents and parents of advanced age who are trying to raise kids, and result in a unique set of problems for the kids they're raising.

PartyFree Nowhere in Particular
05/24/17 10:02 pm

As an educator, the most common situation I've seen with grandparents raising grandkids is because the biological parents lost custody for reasons of abuse, neglect, or otherwise unfit parenting. In fact, it's a vast majority of cases.

MrMilkdud
05/24/17 10:08 pm

In your experience*

In my experience, as a person who has worked in child welfare and psychiatric care, I've seen a wide variety of reasons grandparents end up with custody. Some of them I could probably tie back to their competence as parents- but many I could not.

Regardless of the reason they have the kids, however, (and this seems to be the point you're struggling with), advanced age is a challenge for parents for the same reason it presents problems for grandparents in custodial roles, and results in specific challenges for kids as well. Deliberately planning to be a parent of advanced age is not advisable in my opinion as a person who has worked with children who have problems directly related to these circumstances.