Think May 24th, 2017 2:05pm

Ralph Waldo Emerson said: "Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." Would Mr Emerson be proud of millennial snowflakes?

polster2 US
05/26/17 4:45 am

No, and he wouldn't be proud of you either.

05/31/17 6:04 am

Polster ... I get your need to make a three year old type response, but what specifically would Mr Emerson be sad about with me? Let's make sure that it's on the same scale as the widespread idiocy of leftist millennials who are demanding ridiculous things like segregated housing, and graduations, and a campus with no white people.

CrzyChica
05/24/17 10:22 am

This is a ridiculous comparison. Americans of any generation have a right to peaceful protest to demonstrate that they disagree with the stance of a politician or political party. This does not equate to the protestors feeling they are persecuted. Nice try, though. The real snowflakes are those who seem to be losing their collective s**t about this protest then claiming it was ineffective. Got all your panties in a bunch. Seems pretty effective to me.

SticksandStones Stop fearmongering
05/24/17 10:30 am

Ddi Think mention which specific people he was referring to anywhere here? Because I don't see it.

05/24/17 11:50 am

Stones ... Think didn't need to mention the target audience because it should NOT matter. The my is that it certainly applies to the childish snowflakes of today!

SticksandStones Stop fearmongering
05/24/17 12:06 pm

I agree that there are many ridiculous people pushing political correctness, restriction of free speech, et cetera. My point was that CrzyChica was jumping to conclusions.

05/24/17 12:45 pm

Crzy ... I get that you trigger easily, so let's start with you taking a big breath.

Where did Mr Emerson say that you couldn't protest? It appears that your triggering has gotten in the way of your reading comprehension. No?

CrzyChica
05/24/17 1:36 pm

It's not hard to connect recent polls to this poll. And again, as I have said before, when people start using the word "snowflake" as a pejorative, or accuse others of being "triggered" it indicates they have no other intelligent response and are incapable of actually partaking in intelligent conversation. Generally such terms are used by weak minds to shut down actual dialogue. "Millennial snowflakes," AKA today's college kids and others from their generation whom many seem to disdain.

05/24/17 1:58 pm

Crzy ... connect all you want (or need). There was no pejorative in this conversation until you introduced it! You're the one who started the thread already totally unhinged and incapable of an adult conversation.

I'm happy to start over. Without the drama, what are your thoughts on Mr Emerson's comment?

CrzyChica
05/24/17 2:00 pm

No. You started with the pejorative in the question, dude. Snowflake is used as a pejorative. You're smart enough to know that.

CrzyChica
05/24/17 2:02 pm

As far as the actual quote goes, I would agree. There are many instances in today's society when someone disagrees with another and immediately cries persecution.

05/24/17 11:32 pm

Crzy ... so if I say that I'm triggered because you called me "dude", your reaction would be?

And how is that different from you being triggered when I call you a millennial snowflake?

I hope you realize that your initial comment is textbook millennial snowflake material!

CrzyChica
05/25/17 4:02 am

😂😂😂😂😂 I'm not sure how old you think I am, Think, but I am nowhere near being from the Millennial generation. And dude is not used as a pejorative/insult here. Are you a woman and I don't know it? I have assumed you are a man from your various conversations on SOH. If I am mistaken, I will rescind my dude comment. Otherwise, there is no cause for it to offend because, yes, a dude is a man. It might also give you a clue as to what generation I do belong.

CrzyChica
05/25/17 4:05 am

And as always, just keep generalizing large groups of people with names that have negative connotations. SOH expect it from you, Think. It's your modus operandi.

05/25/17 6:33 am

CrY ... oh, o didn't know that YOU alone get to decide what is and isn't a pejorative term. Wow, that simplifies things as you enshrine yourself as the oracle of correctness. But hang on, I thought a guiding principle snowflakedom was what the recipient gets to capriciously decide what does and does not offend them.

Oops, it appears that you violated your own oath of idiocy by declaring that I don't get to decide what offends me.

I am not your "dude".

CrzyChica
05/25/17 6:49 am

Then thanks for joining the ranks of snowflake-dom. If "dude" really does offend you, then I guess you are one of the snowflakes you love to make fun of. If I insult you and it's purposeful, you'll know it.

05/25/17 6:52 am

Crzy ... I would never count myself among you snowflakes. I use your rhetoric to show your idiocy.

The key is that you aren't consistent with the application of your own rules. Yep, we call that hypocrisy.

voc I am...what I am
05/24/17 9:20 am

I would guess that he wouldn't be proud of either side since there's people on both sides being morons.

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
05/25/17 4:11 am

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

05/31/17 6:00 am

Voc ...I get that attempting to create a moral equivalence helps you feel better, but you completely missed Mr Emerson's point. It's not about equivocation, it's about the "vulgar" attempts to make oneself out to be a victim.

Of course there are many who traffic in their own self absorbed victimhood, but none so great as the group of clueless millennials now taking over college campuses and demanding things that we fought so hard for, like their demands to have segregated housing, demanding that white people leave campus, like segregated graduation ceremonies at places like Harvard. This is an epidemic of idiocy, and there is no large scale "other side" as you suggest.

voc I am...what I am
05/31/17 6:42 am

think.... other than those poor victims like Sean hannity, or bill o Reilly, or even president trump all of whom claim everyone's picking on them. It's both sides, and spans several generations. Some of those millennials you despise so much are pushing 40. Well out of college.

I'm not trying to "create a moral equivalence" and I don't appreciate you trying belittling my point like I see you do so many others on here. We've had pretty good, respectful conversations in the past. Please don't change that.

HammeringMan Gods Away On Business
05/24/17 8:48 am

Certainly the Left cannot believe their own BS THESE DAYS. I am about to deny I ever supported a Liberal Platform. The absurd claim that the conservative voice is offensive and too dangerous to be heard is a serious threat to freedom. There is no freedom of YOUR version is the only one given voice.

Flowbro Utah
05/24/17 8:32 am

He would be appalled

44YY Boston, MA
05/24/17 8:30 am

Think: the man who is contradicted constantly because his points don't make sense

05/24/17 8:35 am

44 ... the person who couldn't stay on topic if his/her/its life depended on it. I get that the truth triggers you, but just answer the question!

You come on and you look the fool with your nonsensical comments.

WeThePharaoh Planet Earth
05/24/17 8:08 am

He'd be proud of this millennial snowflake

05/24/17 8:12 am

WeThe ... are you suggesting that your snowflake feelings don't prevent you from being told that you are wrong?

05/24/17 7:23 am

Probably no more so than those overly sensitive Trump supporters whining "but, but, but it's not a Muslim ban..."

05/24/17 7:27 am

JD ... isn't it curious that facts are so damaging to leftists that they have to create elaborate justifications to delude themselves into thinking that anyone who believes the facts is somehow hurt?

The twisted webs you must create to avoid the simple truths are pathetic!

05/24/17 7:40 am

I've got to be more careful. I keep offending you. Sorry, I'll tone it down.

05/24/17 7:41 am

JD ... you continue to flatter yourself.

05/24/17 7:50 am

Well, it's not like I'm going to get any compliments out of you.

05/24/17 7:55 am

JD ... isn't it kinda pathetic that you feel the need to complement yourself? Is your self worth that fragile? If so, you may not be ready to play with the big boys and girls.

05/24/17 7:59 am

Keep it up and I'm going to take back my apology.

05/24/17 8:05 am

JD ... whoa now there's a huge threat. The facts don't care about your princess feelings and neither do I!

Pull up your big girl/boy/it panties and soldier on!

05/24/17 8:07 am

Are you liking your own posts? Hahahahaha

05/24/17 8:13 am

JD ... are you having trouble because others don't like your posts? Awwww ... poor little snowflake ... I like you as a person, I just think your ideas are sophomoric.

05/24/17 8:21 am

Which ideas are those?

05/24/17 2:01 pm

JD ... you started this thread with a false premise. Leftists tagged on about the constitutionally appropriate travel restrictions that MrT initiated, dishonestly calling it a Muslim ban. Now, if that wasn't ridiculous enough, when conservatives set the record straight, you say they're the one whining.

Yours is a twisted world!

05/24/17 2:08 pm

I started the thread with the opinion of several federal judges. I know it may not carry the weight of an internet troll but I'll go with their opinion.

05/24/17 2:19 pm

And I would say it was partially based on one of Trump's campaign promises but those don't seem all that solid right now.

05/24/17 11:34 pm

JD ... those activist leftist judges will be overruled as there is absolutely NO Muslim ban in the Executive Orders.

Please note that the EO is really simple, and even you could read it. I challenge you to find the wording that makes it a Muslim ban.

05/25/17 5:07 am

You don't understand context.

05/25/17 6:06 am

JD ... I do! I also understand plain English. You can continue to chase phantoms and pho pho princesses, I live in the real world.

You can't point to the language that restricts Muslims because IT DOES NOT EXIST.

You support unlawful judicial interference and not constitutional order.

05/25/17 6:19 am

Huh, so this has nothing to do with his campaign statement of a "total and complete" shutdown should remain until the US authorities "can figure out" Muslim attitudes to the US?

05/25/17 6:24 am

JD ... now you're just being an idiot. I guess we can be grateful the Madame of Corruption wasn't elected as he unemployment rate would've skyrocketed when she shit down the coal industry and put the miners out of work, huh!

Your position is idiotic. You're chasing phantoms, not living in the real world. Here's the newsflash, the EO, like any legal document, is bound by its four corners. If it's not in there, you don't get to simply make it up!

Leftists are regressing into childhood.

05/25/17 6:25 am

JD ... you admit that the EO doesn't contain the lies you're regurgitating. You're simply chasing lies, not focusing on reality.

05/25/17 6:31 am

Again with the name calling...

05/25/17 6:53 am

JD ... I get that you can't deal with the truth. Don't worry m, the adults have got this for you.

05/25/17 12:07 pm

Hey Think - given today's ruling, I s that Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals also a bunch of activist, leftist judges as well? Trump can't seem to buy a break.

05/25/17 12:21 pm

JD ... the leftists have infested many important positions. Given time, MrT will fix that.

Over-celebrate now, your chances are fewer and farther in between.

05/25/17 2:57 pm

So that's a "yes"? No celebration. I'm just trying to understand this vast left wing conspiracy.

thatguy2 We tried to warn you
05/24/17 7:19 am

As usual, your lack of self awareness is amazing. Keep up the projection.

05/24/17 7:20 am

Guy ... as usual, you can't deal with the facts that are so unkind to leftists.

05/24/17 7:13 am

Ok, I get that it's early, but who is the one young Democrat who said that Mr E would be proud? Please come and explain your vote!

chinito Florida
05/26/17 4:29 am

Don't talk like that, ze might get offended.

knetzere Illinois
05/24/17 7:11 am

I'm sure he would look down on at least 99% of the generation.

knetzere Illinois
05/24/17 7:14 am

Nevermind i was thinking of Robert Wadlow had them confused for a second

knetzere Illinois
05/24/17 7:16 am

Although Emerson was a huge believer in the individual so he wouldn't be pleased with the general attitude