rebelfury76 May 24th, 2017 12:06pm

Do you see the hijab as a symbol of oppression and submission or free religious expression?

DexNav Location
05/26/17 8:28 pm

A hijab is a traditional headdress of Islam. It's usually fine- it shouldn't be illegal, but some may mar it by being terrorists.

cyanospool The Deep North
05/24/17 12:19 pm

Neither, I view it as a dumb formality like a necktie.

HammeringMan Gods Away On Business
05/24/17 9:39 am

MIXED
For the mature faithful it is likely a choice of religious expression.
For many, especially the young, I expect they adhere because of fear.

timeout Boston Strong
05/24/17 9:15 am

I look at it as a religious thing, totally ok with it.

Liberty 4,032,064
05/24/17 8:37 am

If forced, oppression.
If voluntary, choice.

xtarite
05/24/17 8:12 am

Kinda conflicted here. I think many of the women wear it willingly to comply with their religion but at the same time I also think it's a way of suppressing them. The thing to remember here is that the Middle East and the western world are polar opposites. Completely different worlds and we need to consider that before telling them what to do. Not that doesn't make terrorism or human rights violations acceptable, just means we need to think before acting and consider that they may not want to changeZ

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
05/24/17 7:14 am

Both. I saw a lady who wore a full one. Even over her hands. Not one speck of flesh showed. It made me very sad. A sister in a habit does not bother me. Although they seldom wear them. Both are signs of service to G-d to my understanding. I think with orthodox Jews once a woman is married she covers her head in public. I could be wrong on this.

Metamorphosis
05/24/17 6:48 am

If it is worn by choice, it is free religious expression. If it is mandatory, it is oppression.

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
05/24/17 6:57 am

But is it really done by free choice? If there are huge pressures from the community and family to wear it?

RyanUnited Be the Change
05/24/17 7:01 am

The same could be said of any religious garment

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
05/24/17 7:38 am

Yeah but no one gets beheaded or beaten for not wearing a Yarmulke

LibArtie SW Connecticut
05/24/17 6:26 am

Religion is oppression.

JackTorS Clap you stupid bastards
05/24/17 8:42 am

Artie, I think you oppress whatever little intellect you have on a regular basis.

MrsCrayonWax
05/24/17 6:09 am

If you're forced to wear it, oppressive. If you have the choice to wear it and you do, freedom.

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
05/24/17 6:58 am

Is it really a choice if you face pressures to wear it from the community and family?

44YY Boston, MA
05/24/17 7:05 am

People face pressures from family and community to wear expensive and nice looking clothes... is that oppression?

MrsCrayonWax
05/24/17 7:22 am

Could we then make the same argument for the Amish, the Hasidic Jewish women who shave their heads and wear wigs, the quiverfull movement who make their women wear skirts, some of the mormons who never show their arms, and wearing an appropriate shoulder covering in the Catholic Church when getting married?

I've got a friend who is Muslim. She wears the hijab only when around her family as it is tradition and on religious observance days. She chooses not to wear it for work or in her daily life. Also, I attended a funeral at a mosque and we were not required to cover even though it was their custom. They told us we didn't have to. The dynamic of wearing the hijab in America is drastically different than in a country who mandates it. I'm not a fan of clothing restrictions on women.

MrsCrayonWax
05/24/17 7:25 am

Do you think it should be outlawed here?

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
05/24/17 7:39 am

I don't think many things should be outlawed, I seldom reach for that option as quickly as most Americans. I prefer to see change occur organically.

MrsCrayonWax
05/24/17 7:45 am

That's the beauty of our country though. We have the freedom to wear what we want, when we want. If this was the turn of the century, I'd be wearing all black and never smiling because that was what a woman of a certain age did when someone died in my family. Hell I wouldn't be allowed to wear pants. My dad thinks that women who wear backless shoes are harlots.

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
05/24/17 10:25 am

Yet even women who wore different clothing in their own time in the US they never faced death for non compliance

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
05/24/17 10:26 am

There's social expectations and norms and then there's forced obedience backed by violence. In the US it's backed by ostracism.

MrsCrayonWax
05/24/17 11:10 am

Speaking of, did you see the requirement for meeting with the pope?

myob
05/24/17 6:04 am

People are drugged and strapped into harness and blown up in markets What kind of Religion is that?

RagingMystic covfefe
05/24/17 6:38 am

Christians are cannibalizing people in other places in the world, what kind of religion is THAT?

lcamino Florida and Georgia
05/24/17 9:19 am

Christian cannibals are not terrorizing Europe, US, Russia, Australia, India, Africa, etc. Live in the "here"and "now". Live in reality.

RagingMystic covfefe
05/24/17 9:20 am

They are terrorizing Africa, and some of the middle east.

lcamino Florida and Georgia
05/24/17 10:45 am

I found a report from 2014 mentioning one cannibal named Mad Dog. That's all I found. I would be more afraid of Boka Haram.

lcamino Florida and Georgia
05/24/17 1:37 pm

That's exactly what I read. There was 1 cannibal in 2014.

IsaacOpyrchal
05/24/17 5:47 am

Some of the first Muslim feminists movements protested the hijab, so yes it's a form of oppression

Cole12 ...
05/24/17 5:10 am

Oppression, but prohibiting Muslim women from wearing hijab is a form of oppression too.

OhTheIrony Learning from you
05/25/17 8:24 am

I actually disagree with you that it represents oppression. The hijab has actually evolved as a liberal response to more restrictive forms of Islamic wear for women such as the niqab.

Wearing a hijab in a country like Saudi Arabia is more accurately characterized as a form of silent protest against Islamic oppression.

Cole12 ...
05/25/17 9:06 am

The hijab is better than the burqa and niqab, but it's still oppressive.

OhTheIrony Learning from you
05/25/17 12:25 pm

I have many Muslim friends who wear the hijab. They would argue that it's a way to retain their cultural identity and heritage as a response to white conservatives who would rather see them assimilate into western culture.

It's really much more complicated than you're making it out to be.

I don't disagree that it can represent oppression. But it certainly doesn't always represent oppression, and in many cases, it can be a symbol of cultural diversity and liberal resistance.