BeachSt July 22nd, 2013 10:23pm

A local developer donated to the campaign of the current Gov. B. McDonnell (R) in '09. Now, he just donated $25,000 to the dem. nominee, T. McAuliffe, citing Cucinelli's extreme social views as the reason. Is this a trend for the Republican Party?

Jungle in the dog house
07/22/13 9:12 pm

Donating to both candidates is common practice in business. You get the favors no matter who wins.

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
07/23/13 9:58 pm

I understand that, I only asked it because the developer specifically said that this man would be bad for business based on his social views.

suppressedID That is my secret Cap
07/22/13 5:24 pm

By trend, you mean the way it's always been?

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
07/23/13 2:56 pm

I was trying to point out that Cucinelli has half the donations/donators that our current governor received at this point. A lot of people have said it's because of his social views.

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
07/23/13 2:56 pm

For example how the governor vetoed the abortion measure to save face for the republicans. Cucinelli wouldn't have.

TomM
07/22/13 5:08 pm

I voted no because I haven't seen this trend other places, but I really don't know and I kinda doubt anyone here has enough knowledge either. I think it's more based on your hopes.

moonshot More often I know nothing
07/22/13 5:06 pm

The Republican Party is dying, they just haven't come to terms with how to break it up yet. The two parties that will emerge from the ruins will need to pull voters from the dems to survive.

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
07/22/13 3:58 pm

I think it can absolutely be the trend or fate of the Republican Party, but it also has to do with the candidate. The governor has extreme views just like Cucinelli, but McDonnell was much more moderate in his governing. Cucinelli puts his views...

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
07/22/13 4:00 pm

...into actions against UVA, businesses, and the people. The position of Attorney General is seen a stepping stone to governor, but with his extreme actions, he has jeopardized that.

rolltribe Ohio
07/22/13 4:04 pm

Who do you think will win?

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
07/22/13 4:12 pm

McAuliffe. Cucinelli would just give Virginia a bad name (people are finally forgetting about state mandated trans vaginal ultrasounds). Plus McAuliffe is out raising Cucinelli 2-1 and has more business support than Cucinelli. Plus McAuliffe...

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
07/22/13 4:13 pm

...has promised to sign same sex marriage into law if it ever reached his desk. I have to read up on his energy views, though.

alek12 Orlando
07/22/13 5:02 pm

Even though I don't live there I donated to Terry. I hope he wins.

He doesn't want to build any new coal plants and wants to work on different sources.

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
07/22/13 5:09 pm

There was some spammer whining about coal. Saying McAuliffe will lose without support from coal. I don't think the guy knew that SW VA will never vote for a modern democrat ANYWAY whether he supports coal or not.

TiltonAllStarz Outside Ur Comfort Zone
07/22/13 3:42 pm

I doubt it.

Like a New York resident in the car, gridlock for miles.

rolltribe Ohio
07/22/13 3:38 pm

I sincerely hope so

rolltribe Ohio
07/22/13 3:53 pm

Because they have no right to tell gay people not to get married, they have no right to tell someone they can't smoke pot, and they have no right to make a personal choice for women

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
07/22/13 3:57 pm

Hell, Cucinelli wants to do more than just keep same sex marriage illegal.

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
07/22/13 3:33 pm

The fate of the Republican Party*

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
07/22/13 3:25 pm

Cucinelli has received half the donations that our current republican governor did 4 years ago. A lot of the people/businesses withholding those donations have ALSO cited his restrictive social views and his opposition to our transportation overhaul.