badattitude May 22nd, 2017 2:10pm

I used to like to listen to an radio NPR game show on Sunday called Wait wait don't tell me. I listened yesterday and every question, comment and answer was anti Trump. In the last 8 years I never once heard them disparage ร”bama. Good use of taxes?

Nuclear Boaty McBoatface
05/22/17 11:28 am

Trump sucks dude, get over it.

05/22/17 2:01 pm

That's not the point. Ôbama sucked too. But they would never say anything about their savior.

BarryB Was it something I said
05/22/17 8:28 am

They also made fun of Jane Austin books, Lucky Charms cereal, and California! We shouldn't have to put up with humor or satire.

05/22/17 8:30 am

Those were one off and were appropriate to the moment. This was just obviously a slam show.

BarryB Was it something I said
05/22/17 8:51 am

If you e listened in the past, you know they cull the news headlines for their bits. Who do you think was most in the news with his bragging about confidential info to the Russians, firing the head of the FBI as he's being investigated, and other stuff that writes its own jokes?

You're not usually this sensitive of a snowflake.

BarryB Was it something I said
05/22/17 9:09 am

Were you offended by the piece with the Republican senator from Nebraska, Ben Sasse talking about his new book? Was that a Trump hit piece? Or that section with the jokes about peaches? Was that part of the offensive part?

ctskapski x
05/22/17 11:43 am

Ben Sasse was really funny on it. Had to take a look at his Twitter feed after. I'd have followed, but I don't have Twitter.

BarryB Was it something I said
05/22/17 11:46 am

He was really good and quick witted too. That's not an "interview" you would have gotten on other sources.

05/22/17 2:00 pm

It's not being offended that's the point. The point is that it's fine to be a conservative hater but don't dare speak about the savior Ôbama or Hillary. That's off limits. As they spend my tax money on $400,000 salaries.

BarryB Was it something I said
05/22/17 2:42 pm

You share Trump's penchant for gross exaggeration.

05/22/17 2:47 pm

Oh brother. It's fine as long as they trash the other party all day as long as it's not yours? Ok that makes perfect sense.

ctskapski x
05/22/17 8:22 am

I still listen to it.
I don't care about bias much in comedy. If it's funny, it's funny, with or without bias.
Of course, I've never been one to hold things as "sacred" or unable to be joked about.

If anything, they missed a lot of opportunity.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
05/22/17 7:24 am

They get their money from the government don't they?

05/22/17 8:31 am

Most. And donations form private and businesses.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
05/22/17 1:53 pm

If they want to be rabidly for or against a candidate then they should not mind losing that 14%.
Juan Williams was fired from NPR for saying he got nervous around Muslims....when he was on a Fox News show. So, it's ok to hate Trump but not ok to say that seeing Muslims in traditional clothing makes him nervous. They hide behind freedom of speech for one thing and fire a person for expressing his freedom of speech. Rather than discuss it and have people tell him why he might be wrong and have rational debate, they just fired him.

Sorry, NPR should lose federal funds. They don't have to support the president but I want them to be fairness driven, not agenda driven

BarryB Was it something I said
05/22/17 2:41 pm

When we stop subsidizing churches and the NFL through tax free status, when I don't have to pay for Donald Trump Jr's security, when I don't have to fund Trump's record number of golf outings to his own private club, and when we cut military back to a sensible level then I'll sign the petition to cut NPR's minimal funding.

05/22/17 3:11 pm

Subsidized churches. I'm not even Christian and I don't agree that church is being subsidized. How is "not" charging a tax to a church a subsidy? Are they being given money from taxpayers? No. The money didn't flow that direction. So it's not a subsidy. Do you feel that the government is subsidizing your waitress because you gave them cash instead of a credit card tip so they wouldn't have to report it? No the government isn't subsidizing it.

BarryB Was it something I said
05/22/17 3:14 pm

If you get tax breaks, same as a subsidy. Churches don't pay taxes on prime real estate that any other revenue generating outfit would. Same with the NFL.

05/22/17 3:32 pm

So you're one of those people that thinks that if you never get the money it's a loss? So you make it down as a loss on your taxes if you don't get the job or don't win the lottery. That's ridiculous. That's the same thinking the Nevada democrat party saying it's a loss when they didn't charge Tesla for income taxes. Is it also a loss if they never came here and went to Michigan instead? Of course not.

BarryB Was it something I said
05/22/17 4:35 pm

I'm saying that if you have two organizations but only one has to pay taxes, it works out the same. It's not rocket science. You're getting too worked up over this.

05/22/17 7:10 pm

But I absolutely agree with you. How can the NFL be non profit. That's bull.

05/22/17 7:11 pm

But I don't know what Trump has to do with it?

BarryB Was it something I said
05/23/17 5:37 am

Ooo ooo, I know! The NFL doesn't at things that offend sensitive Trump supporters? Am I right?

05/23/17 6:56 am

What? The NFL is worth billions. How can they be non profit.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
05/23/17 7:57 am

The NFL gave up their tax exempt status in 2015. Until then, the individual teams were taxable, the head office was not. The tax break came in 1966 during the merger of the NFL/AFL was taking place. Many in congress wanted to see the merger happen so it was written into a bill on what organizations were tax exempt. From 1966-2015, only the individual teams and players could be taxed, not the NFL itself. In 2015 the NFL voluntarily gave up the status and taxes were paid in 2016.
In true American fashion of graft and corruption, the two big backers of the bill Hale Boggs and Russell Long, were awarded the next NFL franchise.

On a side note, I learned Hale Boggs plane was lost in Alaska (it had never been found) just a few years later and only a short time after condemning J Edgar Hoover on the House floor) and never found. It is that incident that led to all planes being required to have emergency locator transmitters in them.

time.com/3839164/nfl-tax-exempt-status/

Okie1967 The world is crazy
05/22/17 7:22 am

I noticed exactly the same thing on the same show. We must have been listening at the same time. Saturday's show made everything about Jeff Sessions. It's pretty pathetic and the hosts laugh like they're cute and clever.

suppressedID That is my secret Cap
05/22/17 7:14 am

Let's face it, Trump makes it easy. Between the incessant tweeting and constant about faces on every topic, the guy is ripe for ridicule, regardless of your affiliation.

05/22/17 7:17 am

Well, he absolutely talks and tweets too much. And he should just shut up and stop with the cringeworthy comments. Yes you're right. But since 100% of the press corps and NPR are registered democrats, and 93% donated to Hillary, do you think that anyone would say anything nice, or just nothing at all? The show was kinda cute and funny when they didn't make fun of Ôbama. Why do it now?

Okie1967 The world is crazy
05/22/17 7:23 am

Every politician makes it easy, but people pick their targets according to their bias.

Namdor53 Hello
05/22/17 8:15 am

Whoa there breck. Those stats are pretty far off. Press corps are 5% republicans to 16% democrats. All the rest are unaffiliated or "other."
freebeacon.com/politics/politico-poll-of-white-house-press-corps-includes-grand-total-of-three-republicans/

05/22/17 8:32 am

That's a different stat than I saw. Do you believe it?

Namdor53 Hello
05/22/17 9:08 am

Yes, the other stats I've seen that say 0 republicans are outdated and assume everyone who isn't a republican is a democrat.

05/23/17 8:02 am

Well, the "Politico Poll of White House Press Corps Includes Grand Total of Three Republicans". Doesn't make me feel any better about an unbiased press. In fact it proves my point.

05/23/17 8:05 am

"Last year, none of the 72 members of the White House press corps it surveyed were Republicans, effectively showing an uptick of three members of the GOP in the poll."

05/23/17 8:07 am

The New York Times even posted a planning document about its desire for greater diversity in "outlook" in its newsroom.

Namdor53 Hello
05/23/17 8:52 am

I never said diversity isn't an issue, I said your numbers were way off. You said it was 100% democrats, and the most recent account I found said 16%. Most of the people are not "D" or "R", by quite a large amount. 16% to 5% is a lot different than 100% to 0%, that was my point.

05/23/17 8:53 am

It was %100 or 0% republican last year and they've only added three this year. That's not way off.

Namdor53 Hello
05/23/17 9:28 am

0% R does not mean 100% D, it's not binary. And the initial statement was about the press this year (press during Trumps presidency) so last year's data is irrelevant. But since you can't let old data go, we will use last year's info. It said 0% R, 26% D, and 76% unaffiliated/other. Yet again, most aren't D or R.
An increase of 3 R in such a small sample amounted to a 5% increase, while D dropped 10%.
You said that 100% are registered D, but only 16% are D. That is an enormous difference. You are way off. If the press corps was 100 people, you would be 86 people off your estimate of # of democrats. You have overstated the amount of democrats by over 6 times the actual value. That is my point.

suppressedID That is my secret Cap
05/23/17 10:27 am

The GOP has defined ITSELF as the party of feeling, not facts:

youtu.be/xnhJWusyj4I

You wouldn't expect to find a lot of fact-centric people in that party.

05/23/17 10:42 am

Wait. Now the GOP has feelings? That's huge step for you to admit that.

05/23/17 10:43 am

Wait, aren't you the one that had a feeling that Bush orchestrated the 9/11 attacks?

05/23/17 11:19 am

๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ

05/23/17 11:24 am

๐Ÿ˜‚even Bill O'Reilly is unaffiliated. So what do you think is likely when they all went to liberal arts colleges for journalism? What's the chances that any of them went to Hillsdale College and studied conservative constitutional theory? Come on. Only three this year identified as republicans. How many republicans do you think there are that don't identify that way? You're forgetting that even the New York Times was appalled by the disparity. It's the nature of the beast. Journalists go to liberal colleges and learn from liberal professors and become liberal biased reporters. They even admit it themselves.

44YY Boston, MA
05/22/17 7:13 am

It's a radio comedy show. Everyone has opinions and just because someone's doesn't match yours doesn't mean that they should be silenced.

05/22/17 7:19 am

I'm paying for it. Why should I pay for that crap. They can do it with your donations. I say cut them off and see how it goes for them.

44YY Boston, MA
05/22/17 7:25 am

A culture with a massive military and no arts is not one that I would like to live in

05/22/17 7:51 am

Well that's fine. But I wouldn't call a continuing condemnation of the president arts and entertainment. Maybe for you. But it's not right and it's not what NPR used to be. They're trying to be like the cool kids on late night tv. But they aren't late night tv. They rely on public funding. If they are going to act like that then they can pound sand. Go get a progressive insurance contract and stay away from my tax money.

Fact FL
05/22/17 8:20 am

This user is currently being ignored

44YY Boston, MA
05/22/17 8:31 am

A conservative radio show? Yes
A comedy show that had a conservative leaning? I have no problem with that

MrMilkdud
05/22/17 8:42 am

No arts?
First of all, not everything NPR does is "art," and certainly not this little game show.
Second, we're doing fine with privately funded art. We don't need the government picking and choosing which artists will succeed or fail. Especially when they're so clearly biased.