GrandmaALiCE May 22nd, 2017 12:57pm

Do you understand the difference between Medicare and Medicaid?

ladyniner81 no hope for humanity
05/24/17 3:43 am

Why do people hate poor and elderly people so much? Yes, there are those assholes who leeches off the government, and I wish they'd weed them out, but there are those who TRULY need it. And there are disabilities you cannot see (deafness, blindness, neuropathy, MS etc)

EquaISideEcon more conservative than u
05/23/17 6:36 pm

I know the both of them. I genuinely hope they wither and die within the next 6 years so I will not have to waste my prime paying into these leaching programs.

theNobamist Silicon Valley
05/22/17 10:45 pm

Add "Medi-Cal" into the mix 😳😜
It's CA's name for Medicaid.

AnarchoCowboy Back 4 Now
05/22/17 6:18 pm

One is for old people, the other for the poor. Regardless, both need to end.

smart1
05/22/17 1:52 pm

Medicaid is the one Trump is cutting by 800bn. Medicare will be next.

cowboy Doors of Perception
05/22/17 9:52 am

It's welfare. What is there to understand?

05/22/17 1:32 pm

Medicaid is welfare.

Medicare is NOT welfare. Medicare is not for poor people. It's for people over 65, regardless of income.

They are totally different programs. Please read some of the comments or the links I provided.

cowboy Doors of Perception
05/22/17 2:29 pm

Who pays for Medicare?

05/22/17 4:01 pm

The users, just like any other insurance program.

I had already calculated my own costs, for my 2016 taxes. So, it was easy for me to look it up on my computer, just now. In 2016, my husband and I spent about $9000 (for the two of us) in Medicare premiums.

It's a bit higher than some, because I chose a better plan that pays for almost everything.

cowboy Doors of Perception
05/22/17 4:05 pm

I don't use it and am forced to fund it every week.

05/22/17 4:13 pm

The same could be said for any tax, if it's a service you don't currently use. However, if you live long enough, you WILL use Medicare some day.

After your daughter has completed public school, you will still be forced to pay for public schools. That doesn't make public schools welfare.

Libraries, public parks, airports ... All of these are government-funded services that everybody pays for, but only some people use. None of these are welfare.

cowboy Doors of Perception
05/22/17 4:16 pm

Seems like welfare to me. I'm paying for someone else's healthcare.

05/22/17 4:23 pm

You didn't reply to my comparison with schools, etc.

Your childless neighbors in Chicago are paying for your daughter's education. Is that welfare?

cowboy Doors of Perception
05/22/17 4:45 pm

I wasn't talking about schools, that's why. Medicare is a Government entitlement program, correct?

05/22/17 5:02 pm

I know you weren't. I was making an analogy. The idea is very similar.

Do you understand that in about 25 years, you will be on this Medicare?

cowboy Doors of Perception
05/22/17 5:59 pm

God I hope not.

05/22/17 6:08 pm

Why do you hope not? Would you rather be *without* health insurance after you retire?

cowboy Doors of Perception
05/22/17 6:33 pm

No. I want to be rich. 😊
Besides, maybe by the time I get old enough the Republicans and Democrats will finally make Government healthcare free for all of us! 😜

05/22/17 7:32 pm

Cowboy, I think you don't understand how Medicare works.

Wealthy people are legitimately on Medicare. It has nothing to do with your income. You qualify, simply by being 65 or older.

That's what I was trying to explain earlier.

cowboy Doors of Perception
05/22/17 7:39 pm

Wealthy people didn't get that way by spending their money, I guess. Why not take advantage? I just hope I have enough to get a life saving operation when the Government death panel says I should take an aspirin and die.

05/22/17 7:51 pm

It's not a question of "taking advantage." They are following the rules.

As I explained, it is NOT a program for POOR people. It is health insurance for OLD people.

cowboy Doors of Perception
05/22/17 7:54 pm

Not entirely true. I've known perfectly healthy lazy people that claim to have a disability and got it.

05/22/17 8:05 pm

Ok, it's true that some people get Medicare for a disability. Primarily, it's a program for old people.

In any case, to get more than just hospital coverage, you have to pay a premium. Even if you lie about having a disability, the medical coverage is not free.

I still think you may be confusing it with Medicaid, which IS for poor people.

cowboy Doors of Perception
05/22/17 8:11 pm

Maybe. So I'm forced to pay into Medicare my entire life and when I turn 65 I have to pay more? Sounds wonderful! I can't wait for that! 😑

05/22/17 8:22 pm

Now you've got it!

You can get the "bare bones" basic hospital coverage for free, but you probably will want more than that.

On the other hand, the coverage I pay for is pretty good. I never have to pay a copay at the doctor and there is no deductible. We've had some significant medical treatment, all completely covered.

My husband has had a number of surgeries and goes to several specialists, for different things. All covered by our Joan. So, I'm actually pretty happy with it.

05/22/17 8:24 pm

*by our Joan

should be "by our plan"

You probably figured out what I meant. 😊

cowboy Doors of Perception
05/22/17 8:27 pm

As long as you're happy! ✌🏻

jenkp223 Being a mommy
05/22/17 8:13 am

Medicare is for the elderly, Medicaid is for the poor.

MrMilkdud
05/22/17 7:54 am

Yes. My mom gets very upset when people confuse the two because she's insulted that anyone would think she's on Medicaid.

She also uses her experiences with Medicare to illustrate why she is against universal healthcare.

05/22/17 7:57 am

Re your first point, I agree with your mother.

I've actually had pretty good experiences with Medicare, however.

MrMilkdud
05/22/17 8:02 am

She is constantly going back and forth with them about what drugs they'll cover, taking drugs on and off the approved list, changing their minds about whether she can continue to see doctors she's been seeing for decades, and other things.
They tried to make her doctor change three of her blood pressure meds last year to drugs that don't work for her, and then flat out refused to cover her current meds because her doctor wouldn't prescribe the ones they wanted. And she has friends on Medicare taking the exact same drugs without any problems.

MrMilkdud
05/22/17 8:03 am

*taking the exact same drugs her doctor wants her to take, without any problems with Medicare.

That last line was a little too ambiguous.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
05/22/17 8:20 am

Milk, I agree with your mom based on my experiences with Dad.

Zinkshadow1 Tallahassee
05/22/17 7:39 am

You CARE for the elderly, you AID the poor.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
05/22/17 7:39 am

Medicare

Those who are older (65 or older I think) and those who are disabled. You get registered for Medicare at 65 but don't have to have it. Depending upon your income level, you might not be able to use it.

Medicaid is for those who have an income falling below a specific amount, often the poverty line. They can be older, younger, unemployed, disabled, single working mothers with kids etc. It is a program administered by each state. Sometimes the parent/parents will not qualify but the children will.

Medicare is run by the Federal Government. Those on SSI or SSDI automatically qualify for Medicare but cannot begin drawing it for a few months after the qualify for social security.

A younger person who worked but became disabled and had no income, can, in some states, draw on both Medicare and Medicaid but Medicare will always be the primary insurance used.

05/22/17 7:55 am

Good info, except for one point.

"Depending upon your income level, you might not be able to use it."

That is incorrect. Medicare is not dependent on income. (At least, that's true for people that qualify by being 65 or older.)

Also, except for the basic "Part A," it is not free. Part A covers hospital care and is free.

Part B covers medical visits. It's good, affordable insurance, but there is a premium. Part C is additional medical coverage, sold by private companies, but supervised by the government. Part D is insurance for prescriptions, also sold by private companies and government-supervised.

LibArtie SW Connecticut
05/22/17 7:32 am

Healthcare has been my field since 1983.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
05/22/17 6:38 am

-----aid is just that - a public assistance program for those in need. ----care is an entitlement - a limited health insurance program that you are entitled to by virtue of having paid for it or otherwise qualifying for it by law. Not everything is covered, but as healthcare plans go it's pretty good...*if* you live long enough. Expanding Medicare to cover every citizen and legal resident from birth (making Medicaid redundant) is one path to finally getting a first-world healthcare system here.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
05/22/17 6:20 pm

Medicare for All would make part of the VA health system redundant too, retaining only what would be equivalent to top-notch supplemental health insurance.

ScottyDoesNo Stand back and stand by
05/22/17 6:23 pm

Once again, Google Veterans Affairs. We know what happens when government tries providing a "first world healthcare system". Why is this so hard for you liberals to figure out?

Zod Above Pugetropolis
05/22/17 7:35 pm

Google Medicare. I think maybe you don't understand how it works.

ScottyDoesNo Stand back and stand by
05/22/17 7:41 pm

I understand that the richest group by far by age, senior citizens, receive by far the most benefits of government. Benefits paid for by the poorest group by far by age, young workers like me. And it pisses me the fuck off. You're welcome old man.

GlockMan1 Alabama
05/22/17 6:35 am

I'm on Medicare and I still get the words confused. They should change Medicare to Seniorcare.

political Georgia
05/22/17 8:17 am

Haha! That's funny!

05/22/17 6:48 am

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Excuse me! Cough! Gasp!

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

(Wipes away tears of laughter and goes on with day.)

DounutHole
05/22/17 9:42 am

Scottyboy, you never cease to amaze me with the crap that comes out of your mindπŸ’©

ScottyDoesNo Stand back and stand by
05/22/17 11:11 am

Both of you, please cite the line in the Constitution that establishes Medicare and Medicaid.

DounutHole
05/22/17 11:18 am

Boy, please sight the line of the constitution where you can continue to breath my air. Now get to work and pay those taxes!

ScottyDoesNo Stand back and stand by
05/22/17 11:33 am

So you can NOT cite the line in the Constitution establishing Medicare and Medicaid? Okay, just checking.

05/22/17 6:05 am

Poll question for iPad users:

Do you understand the difference between Medicare and Medicaid?

www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/081114/medicaid-vs-medicare.asp

skinner Jersey City
05/22/17 6:03 am

As I understand it Medicare is for the old and Medicaid is for the poor and disabled.

05/22/17 6:08 am

Yes, you are right.

Lots of people confuse the two programs. I just now saw this on another poll, so I decided to put up the question.

05/22/17 6:09 am

Wait a minute. I think disabled also falls under Medicare, under some circumstances.