political May 22nd, 2017 4:21am

Christians: #4JC asks, "Here is a great article entitled, 'The 10 Commandments of FB: Things Christians Should Never Do on Social Media.' While it's aimed at FB use, I think many of the things are good rules for SOH."

05/22/17 10:09 am

What emoji is that? It looks a little like a baby bear.

05/22/17 10:09 am

What emoji is that? It looks a little like a baby bear.

05/22/17 1:52 pm

Followingsea, are you a Christian with a personal relationship with Jesus?

05/22/17 8:15 am

#7 is one that really gets under my skin. It's the primary reason I stay out of prayer polls and other similar "altar call" style polls.

05/22/17 8:20 am

You think it's bad on SOH.....you should see it in real life!

05/22/17 8:23 am

Yeah. It's a big turn off. I can't think of a good reason to do that sort of stuff. It seems very self serving.

05/22/17 8:40 am

To prove how much of a Christian I am, I think that I'm going to go get me a huge Christian tattoo to show everyone my identity now!

05/22/17 8:46 am

Maybe you could get a tattoo of your favorite P&W band, and then blare their music in your car with the windows down.

05/22/17 8:51 am

Or I could play "H.O.L.Y" or "My Church" really loud and brag about what a great Christian I am for broadcasting such wonderful Christian songs!

Just go read the lyrics to those songs...

05/22/17 8:58 am

I'm proud to say I haven't even heard of those. Catholics don't much go for p&w music.

05/22/17 10:28 am

My Church doesn't either. I hear those two songs on the country radio station. We sing hymns at the Church that I attend.

05/22/17 1:51 pm

I wanted to be able to copy and paste this into my notes to refer to later, to check up on myself. Lol I figured out how to do it on an Apple device: put it on Reader view in Safari. In case SOH users want to save it and can't do that, I've copied and pasted the entire article at the bottom of this poll.

Be aware if you copy and paste it that it posted Commandment number 8 before the continuation of Commandment number 7, so just switch them around when you copy and paste them into your notes.

Hope this helps someone! I know I have to have it to look back at later, or I'll never remember all of it! Lol

I'm copying and pasting this note to everyone that has commented, MilkDud, and then I'll come back and comment on your comments.

05/22/17 2:14 pm

Milkdud, I'm copying and pasting #7 here so we'll know what we're talking about.

7. Thou shalt not put on a spiritual show.

We’re not talking here about sharing verses or thought-provoking articles about faith. That’s great! Think instead of making sure everyone knows what you’re giving up for Lent, or that you’re reading Leviticus with your morning coffee because you’re just that dedicated, adding on a #blessed to everything to spiritualize it, and feeling a constant need to impress others. All are signs that you care more about what others think of you than what God thinks.

More...

05/22/17 2:14 pm

Here’s what the author of Ecclesiastes has to say about the constant shallow, spiritual buzz we can fall into: “Guard your steps when you go to the house of God. Go near to listen rather than to offer the sacrifice of fools, who do not know that they do wrong. Do not be quick with your mouth, do not be hasty in your heart to utter anything before God. God is in heaven and you are on earth, so let your words be few.”

Share what you believe… but remember that your faith is not a relationship between you and your Facebook friends. It’s a relationship between you and God.

05/22/17 2:24 pm

I looked up this Scripture. Eccl. 5:1-7.

I have to respectfully disagree with the author and both of you on this one. I believe the author has taken the Scripture out of context. This is a passage about false vows--when we promise God something and then don't follow through, it would've been best not to have promised to begin with.

So in regards to prayer polls--I believe we SHOULD stay out of those polls if we're promising people we're going to pray for them, but then aren't going to follow through.

But I see the prayer polls not as bragging about how spiritual we are, but as an actual plea from each person to pray for them, and I do so, at least once while I'm reading that prayer request. Sometimes, I go back into those polls later in the week to see if anyone else has posted and to pray for all of them again.

I think this author is talking about bragging on oneself--If we're posting polls about all the things we're giving up for Lent, for example, or what we do for Christ.

05/22/17 2:41 pm

I understand what you're saying, and I agree that there is a place for all of the good things you're saying.

But I have a deep seeded aversion to and low tolerance for a lot of the modern and (imho) self serving expressions of faith people fall into. I don't think evangelicals and fundamentalists understand how Catholics see that sort of thing because they only see the outward magisterial expressions of the Catholic Church (which I support and see as an important part of celebrating the Church Triumphant) but don't necessarily realize that most Catholics practice a very humble, self deprecating faith at the personal level. Even things you guys seem to take for granted, like the orantes positions (praying with your hands up in the air- also known as prayer antennae), is a turn off to Catholics because it's too showy and seems to be too oriented on oneself and not on God.

05/22/17 2:47 pm

Oh, and the "share this x times if you're a Christian" posts on Facebook.
I've unfriended people over that sort of continued nonsense.

05/22/17 2:48 pm

Praying with your hands in the air? Haha! You won't find that at the Church that I attend.

05/22/17 2:53 pm

What about openly weeping and singing along with rock bands, which are given the same pride of place as the altar or the ambo?

05/22/17 3:00 pm

Haha! Not a chance! Usually, the only musical instrument is a piano. We do not believe that the atmosphere that a lot of contemporary churches generate is pleasing to God. I'm not saying that all contemporary music is bad, but the atmosphere in the Church should be reverent. Waving your hands and jumping up and down like you are at a rock concert doesn't come close to that qualification.

05/22/17 3:05 pm

I completely agree.

05/22/17 3:30 pm

Finally, agreement on a religious discussion

05/22/17 4:59 pm

Milkdud, what you're describing has been traditionally only among Pentecostal type churches. Many Baptist churches, at least, have eschewed raising hands, dancing, speaking in tongues, etc. as too emotional, working yourself into a frenzy of emotion, instead of internal devotion of quiet belief.

There are some non-denominational churches & even some larger Baptist churches now where raising hands & swaying is considered acceptable now & some have praise groups that lead the congregation in worship. But I've been in SBC churches for 40 yrs now & have NEVER been in 1 with a rock band.

I, personally, don't have problems with people that raise their hands in worship to God, as I look at the OT worship of God, with musical instruments, & even dancing. I believe if you do it in the vein of lifting your hands to a Holy God in gratitude for what He has done for you that it is fine. IF they're just doing it for show, or because everyone else is, though, I would have probs with it.

05/22/17 5:00 pm

Part 2. Some of the most beautiful, heartfelt worship I've ever seen has been adults and teens with Downs Syndrome, raising their hands and their faces joyfully to the Lord, signing their hearts out!

One thing you need to remember is that the VAST majority of churches, or at the very least SBC churches (that's what I know the most about) are small, running well under 100 in worship service. What you see on tv is NOT what is happening in the VAST majority of churches in America.

Most small churches have a piano and an organ, at the most, except for Church of Christ, which has neither.

I have attended one church that ran over 1,000, and they had an orchestra, made up of church members who used their gifts to glorify God. Are you really saying that we should only use those gifts of musical talent for secular songs, and not in worship to Him?! If so, what do you say about the worshipers of the Old Testament?

More.

05/22/17 5:00 pm

Part 3. I prefer a mixed or blended worship service in which we sing some hymns (to learn doctrine) and some praise songs (to worship and praise Him).

And I don't even have problems with a praise band if it's done to worship God and bring in a younger generation that wouldn't step foot in the doors of the church otherwise.

There is an old saying about doing ministry:
Methods of ministry may change but principles never do. Even Paul said:

More....

05/22/17 5:01 pm

Part 4. "19 Though I am free and belong to no one, I have made myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20 To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21 To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law. 22 To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some. 23 I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings."

More...

05/22/17 5:01 pm

Part 5. I believe this means that we reach out to people in a way that they understand. And I believe that is why there are so many different ways of doing ministry. What turns you off attracts another person to the gospel. What you crave would turn off someone that is a more emotional person. There are many that would say that your way of worship is stilted, and not joyful, and that we're told to worship God joyfully. In fact, I saw someone say that very same thing here on SOH--that it was sinful to NOT be joyful about our relationship with Jesus! I talked to her and helped her see that different people can worship just as earnestly, but in different forms. I don't believe that we can judge what is in someone's heart, do you?

05/22/17 5:15 pm

4JC, there's a rhetorical technique known as "shotgunning" where one person throws so much at the other that they can't reasonably be expected within normal time and real world constraints a to address all of the points without turning the discussion into an unmanageable mess.

So, I'm going to restate my basic premise, and respond to one of your comments.

I agreed with what you already said about appropriate forms of worship. Where I draw the line is when the worship becomes more about the person appearing to be putting on a show that they're worshipping, or that the worship itself becomes the focus of the event rather than the experience of the divine, toward which our worship ought to propel us.

I can't judge another person's intent or experience. But what I see at the services I'm talking about seems to be more about the spectacle of worship rather than God. Even Catholic religious services that tend toward that error repel me and make me want to leave.

05/22/17 5:17 pm

"And I would much rather see a teen raising their arms to Jesus, and even jumping up and down in joy over what he's done for them, than out on the streets, doing drugs and alcohol, setting themselves up for addictions that will ruin their lives. Wouldn't you?"

Please don't present me with false dilemmas. They're unconvincing.
I'd rather see teens doing all sorts of other things than develop drug addictions. But that only speaks to the evils of drug addiction and says nothing substantive of the alternatives I'd prefer.

05/22/17 5:48 pm

A lot of what is being addressed here revolves around our opinion of the Charismatic Movement. I'll just say that I have a very negative opinion of the Charismatic movement. I used to be indifferent to it, but I have studied the issue more and do not believe that it is rooted in scripture.

05/22/17 5:53 pm

Milkdud, I've never heard of shotgunning. That's interesting, but definitely not what I was intending to do. I was just typing what came to mind, carrying on a convo! Lol I get going and don't realize how much I've typed, since I'm on an iPad with a full keyboard case. Sorry if I overwhelmed you!
Certainly didn't mean to do that!

One of the problems is that you had both gone back and forth and I was trying to respond to each of your points at one time, since I wasn't around when you were talking back and forth about them. So my points probably would've been shorter if I'd been here in the midst of the convo!

My point boils down to the fact that I believe that each person worships God in their own way and I'm not to judge as to whether they're doing it the way they should. That's between each person and God, imho. I would stand up for your right to worship God the way you feel best, just as I would a Pentecostal. And I believe that God is big enough to accept however we worship.

05/22/17 5:53 pm

And might even ENJOY the different ways we worship!

05/22/17 5:54 pm

I agree, political.
I do believe there are elements of the Charismatic Movement in scripture, but do not believe they have been competently carried into modern Christianity or are being properly expressed by modern Christians.

05/22/17 5:55 pm

4JC, do you believe a Church service that has a rock band atmosphere is appropriate?

05/22/17 5:58 pm

4JC, nobody is talking about interfering with anyone else's right to worship as they want.

05/22/17 5:59 pm

I'll concede that there is a legitimate discussion that Christians should have between cessationism vs continuationism. Nevertheless, it should be universally accepted that if miracles that occurred in Acts are in fact occur - it is not as frequent as the Charismatic Movement would like you to believe.

05/22/17 6:05 pm

I agree again, political.

05/22/17 6:13 pm

Actually, *do* would be a better phrasing! Oh well! Me no good at writing

05/22/17 6:26 pm

Back to the subject of music, 4JC's denomination doesn't typically have praise and worship bands lead the song service. At least, the environment within the congregation will not be any resemblance to a rock concert. Within my town, people have left Southern Baptist Churches to attend a couple of Non-denominational Churches that believe the same doctrine as Southern Baptists but have a very informal environment and have praise worship bands. I call those two Churches "Entertainment Churches." My criticism of these two Churches do not reflect my attitude toward all non-denominational Churches though.

05/22/17 7:37 pm

Pol, I discussed that above, but it was apparently overwhelming, so I'll reiterate.
I referenced Paul, if you want to look back up to those Scriptures, (we become all things to all men, so that we might save some) and said that there is a saying among ministers: Methods of ministry may change, but principles and Scripture must not.

In other words, I believe that we can change our methods of ministry and worship, and this is acceptable to God, as long as we follow Scripture and the principles of Christianity.

Did you know that church hymns going back to the Reformation used the music of songs that were popularly sung in bars, but with lyrics rewritten to express church doctrine?

More...

05/22/17 7:38 pm

Part 2 They took what people knew in the "world"--ie secular--and remade it for Christianity, as they knew it would be easier for people to learn these songs that they'd heard the music to out in the world.

I think that some ministers are being able to do the same in our day. Hubby would never be able to pull that off, as he's not some young, hip, rocker type. He's more comfy in a suit than jeans! Lol

But for those that can reach out to people who would never foot step in hubby's church, I think this is a great thing, AS LONG AS they are truly worshipping God from their hearts. I would have to say that the words to their songs would have to be recognizable, as I don't think you can worship if you can't understand WHAT you're saying about or to God! Lol

The OT talks about people singing, playing instruments, lifting holy hands, and dancing in praise to God. I don't see how we can discount Scripture and say this was wrong, as long as the dancing is not erotic!

05/22/17 7:43 pm

Political, you're correct about what you said about SBC churches. The vast majority do not have praise bands. Most still have choirs. The difference between a choir and a praise band or praise team, though, is that choirs are performing for the congregation, whereas praise bands or teams actually lead the congregation IN worshipping themselves.

I like it all, but if I had to decide between one group worshipping God for the congregation, and the entire church worshipping God, I'd choose the latter any time!

I can't remember what else you said, Pol, and can't see the box, so I'll post another comment to answer the rest of your comment.

05/22/17 7:48 pm

Pol, as to the ones that are leaving SBC churches to go to non denominational ones that have the same doctrines, I don't see that as switching to an entertainment church.

If they both have the same teachings and doctrine, I don't see how we can split hairs over whether they choose to sing songs ABOUT God (hymns) or sing songs TO God and Jesus (praise songs). As I said, I like both. But many young people like praise songs more, and many older congregations have REFUSED to incorporate that into their services because the elderly don't like anything that is new. This very issue has even split churches. Those churches that are refusing to adapt to different METHODS of ministry and worship, without changing their beliefs are the ones that are losing middle aged and younger members.

I like a blended worship because it brings all the generations together into one cohesive, unified body--everyone compromises some on what they want!

05/22/17 7:51 pm

My criticism of most praise worship bands isn't the instrument that is used. As you claimed, the same instruments and melody that were used in bars a long time ago were used for Church worship. Nevertheless, I hope that the same environment were not the same. I have the same position for modern times. I have nothing against using a specific instrument in Church. I do care about the service being reverent. It's simply impossible for a true Church to embrace the atmosphere of a rock concert where people are jumping and waving their arms. That isn't reverent. This is having fun and not taking Church seriously.

05/22/17 7:58 pm

I've never been in a church like that, or even SEEN a service like that before, pol! Lol

05/22/17 7:58 pm

The problem that you have with these "new methods" is that people are going to Church for the wrong reason. A lot of people who attend entertainment Church there for the "fun activities" that the Church provides. The message is not illustrated. I won't criticize these Churches the way I would Joel Osteen, but it's hard to imagine a deep understanding of the gospel coming out of these Churches.

05/22/17 8:00 pm

These type of Churches are popping up more and more. The Charismatic Movement seems to become more and more influential.

05/22/17 8:32 pm

I wouldn't know about any that are aimed toward fun activities, as I've never been to one like that.

I have no respect for Joel Olsteen, who won't open the Bible, or preach from the Word, and just does a feel good "talk" instead of a sermon that points out sin. THAT is the kind of church that I have problems with, MUCH more than one that has a different music style. If they're not preaching from the Word, and it's just a feel good situation, I DO have probs with that! I also don't believe in health and wealth gospel.

I know that I feel much more thankful to God when singing a song directly TO Him, praising Him for what He's done for me, than singing a song ABOUT Him. But every person worships differently, imho.

05/22/17 8:37 pm

Osteen's wife is even worse. Of course, I don't believe the Bible allows women to become preachers. I'm not saying women are less valuable of course.

DonWichita Kansas
05/22/17 7:32 am

I agree with all, but have reservations about #2.
Of course we shouldn't insult, but teasing would fall into the same bucket.
Just keep it light.

05/22/17 1:50 pm

I'm copying and pasting this note to everyone that has commented, Don, and then I'll come back and comment on what you've said.

05/22/17 2:07 pm

I'm copying and pasting #2, so we'll know what we're talking about, Don.

2. Thou shalt not add a smiley face to an insult.

“But wait,” you say, “the emoticon means that anything I said before it was just a joke and is completely excused.”

Nope. That’s not how that works. What it means is that you wanted to get away with being unkind, and that’s not something the Bible is going to let you do. This is basically the 21st century version of what he spoke against in Proverbs 26:18-19: “Like a maniac shooting flaming arrows of death is one who deceives their neighbor and says, ‘I was only joking!’”

Overstatement? Maybe. But the point is there: say what you mean, and remember that tone of voice can’t come across on social media. When in doubt, leave sarcasm out, and you’ll avoid unnecessary hurt feelings.

05/22/17 2:10 pm

Don, I think teasing is alright, and should be followed by emoticons to show that you're teasing, like a winky face.

However, I'm a BIG believer in NOT using sarcasm at all. I'm a straight shooter. I usually mean exactly what I'm saying and I've had a few people that thought I was being sarcastic.

But I see sarcasm as the lowest form of humor, meant to build yourself up at the expense of someone else. So I agree with this writer--don't say something derogatory and then follow it up with a smiley to make it look like it's a joke, if you REALLY meant it as a dig.

Of course, we really shouldn't be being derogatory toward others to begin with, imho! Lol If we don't do that, we won't have to worry about making it look like a joke, to begin with!

WaffleBrainz Indiana
05/22/17 7:30 am

i dont think we should use social media at all. too many negatives. all it is is a competition for attention.

05/22/17 2:03 pm

LOL I think you're on the wrong app to be saying that!

Brrrrrrrrr
05/22/17 5:41 am

Christians should not use Facebook in the first place. Nor should any self-respecting human.

05/22/17 2:02 pm

First of all, may I ask if you're a Christian with a personal relationship with Jesus?

I ask this because I'm trying to determine where you're coming from. Are you a Christian that thinks it's sinful to be on FB?

Or are you an atheist that doesn't want to see Christians witnessing on FB?

Brrrrrrrrr
05/23/17 6:28 am

1) I consider myself a Christian. I do not know what my relationship status with Jesus is.
2) I do not believe it is a sin to use facebook, but God has given each human self-worth and dignity. And when one uses Facebook, he squanders both.

05/23/17 5:21 pm

Thanks. That leads to other questions. If you don't know what your relationship status with Jesus is, does that mean that you believe that being a Christian means something other than having a personal relationship with Jesus?

And why do you think FB squanders self worth and dignity?

I've seen a lot of people that use it for good, to help and encourage others, to share good times with family and friends, to keep in touch with family out of town and out of state, etc. Some use it to do good by helping find missing children or pets, get the word out about criminals in their neighborhoods, pass along local news, build up businesses in their communities, advertise their own small businesses, etc.

05/23/17 5:22 pm

I've seen them ask and receive prayers, for health conditions, for people wanting to adopt babies, and I've seen them share things they've learned about God and Jesus.

Can you give me some examples of it squandering self-esteem and dignity?

Brrrrrrrrr
05/25/17 6:37 am

Yes, It does mean something else. First of all, I don't even know what having a personal relationship with Jesus means. Was Jesus a Christian? And if so, does it mean he must have had a personal relationship with himself?
When I say Christian I simply mean anyone who believes God sent Jesus to earth so that all people have a shot at salvation.

Brrrrrrrrr
05/25/17 6:44 am

Using Facebook IS itself the squandering of dignity. Just because some good things may occasionally come from it, it doesn't follow that it is a good thing.

05/25/17 4:26 pm

Thanks for the explanation.

What having a personal relationship means to me: Jesus is alive, & knows us intimately, & is our best friend. A personal relationship with Him is exactly that: a relationship very much like what we have with other close friends & family members.

Instead of focusing on the majesty & "kingliness" side of Jesus, & in doing so being tempted to distance ourselves from Him by seeing him as some distant, untouchable, unreachable figure on a throne high above us, we have a personal relationship with Him, sharing our lives openly with Him.

If you look at other religions, you see gods who do not care about individuals. In other religions the goal is to please their god(s) enough to be accepted into heaven. The love flows one direction: towards the god.

More...

05/25/17 4:26 pm

Part 2. Jesus, however, is different. He comes to each one of us personally. He reaches down & speaks to each of us individually & relates to us on a personal level.

This means that He wants to know us as individuals--that He wants to be loved by us as individuals. That He wants a relationship with us as individuals.

But that relationship means that we have to both speak (through prayer) and listen (through all the ways that God talks with us). That, ultimately, is what a relationship is. A give and take; both speaking and listening.
He wants our love & gives love in return. That's what a personal relationship is about.

More...

05/25/17 4:28 pm

Part 3. I also believe that you can only have this personal relationship with Jesus if you have admitted you're a sinner, that Jesus died to pay the price for those sins, and you're trusting in Him ALONE for the forgiveness of sins by His death on the cross and for eternity in Heaven with Him by His resurrection, thus turning your life over to Him as your Lord and Savior to guide you throughout your life.

No, Jesus was not a Christian. The word Christian in the original language means "little Christ". In other words, we're to be striving to be little Christs in the world--to emulate His life in our own lives, to try to live up to His standards. So Christians are followers of Christ!

More...

05/25/17 4:29 pm

Part 4. And I differ a little in what I believe a Christian is. You said it's someone who believes that God sent Jesus to earth so all people have a shot at salvation. The Bible says that even Satan believes that. There is a difference in believing that Jesus did that and believing IN Him as your Savior.

I can believe that a chair will hold me up all day long, but until I actually trust that chair by sitting down in it, I haven't truly believed IN that chair. Does that make sense? We don't just believe it in our heads, but in our hearts, putting ALL our trust in Him to take care of us.

More...

05/25/17 4:29 pm

Part 5. I still don't understand what you mean about using FB not having dignity. Webster defines dignity as: a way of appearing or behaving that suggests seriousness and self-control; the quality of being worthy of honor or respect. Are you saying that ALL people that use FB are not showing self control or being worthy of honor and respect, even if they use it to help others and stay in touch with family members? I don't understand your point, as you haven't given me any examples.

I have seen some examples of that, if you're talking about young people that get drunk or post pics of them half naked for all the world to see. Is that the kind of activity you're talking about? Things that will come back to haunt them when they try to get into college or a job?

Brrrrrrrrr
05/26/17 6:11 am

But he told Thomas blessed are those who have not seen and yet believe, that means he values faith. So the idea that he personally talks to people doesn't quite sound right.

05/26/17 11:06 am

Didn't he still talk to other people when he was here on earth? Saying that those that believe without proof are blessed doesn't mean that he stopped talking to the other disciples.

He talks to me through my Bible study, through Christian novels and non fiction books that I read, through sermons I hear, and with a still, small voice when I pray, or when He brings to mind a Scripture that pulls me up short or shows me what to do when I'm making a decision.

SouthernLaw Old North State
05/22/17 5:13 am

#6 and #10 are very important for SOH.

05/22/17 1:50 pm

I'm copying and pasting this note to everyone that has commented already, SouthernLaw, and then I'll come back and comment on what you've said!

05/22/17 1:56 pm

I'm going to copy #6 & #10 into this post so we'll know what we're talking about! Lol

6. Thou shalt not buy into outrage culture.

I cannot say this often enough or loudly enough: We must resist the urge to join in the noise of fury and outcry. Outrage gets clicks and comments. It sells, and everyone from retailers to media to public figures are using that knowledge against us. Please, think twice before venting about a situation or an issue on social media. Shouting matches do not advance the gospel. They slowly change our minds and hearts into an “us vs. them” conflict that isn’t biblical.

More...

05/22/17 1:58 pm

Before you get pulled into an angry exchange, consider whether it will be worth it. Does the other person seem interested and willing to listen to your point of view? If not, it’s probably best not to respond, or say, “I think we’ll have to agree to disagree on this” and move on.

You can’t argue anyone into the kingdom of heaven. In fact, Christians are supposed to look different because of our love for others. That love takes a stand on truth, yes, but it should also reflect Romans 12:18, “If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.”

05/22/17 1:59 pm

10. Thou shalt not misrepresent the gospel.

Whoa. Those stakes just got raised really, really high. But this is what our lives are about, right? We are Christians—little Christs. People are supposed to be able to look at us and see what Jesus is like. They should be able to add us on Facebook and see posts and responses that are consistent with the character of God.

That’s not always the case in my life, and I’m guessing it’s the same for you. Remember that the world is watching you and what you say. But don’t let that drive you into fear or paranoia. No, instead you should pray for what Paul hoped for the church in Philippians 2: That we would be “blameless and pure children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation. Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky.”

05/22/17 2:00 pm

SouthernLaw, I TOTALLY agree with you. In fact, these are the two that pulled me up short the most! I need to work on these! I try to always behave in a civil way, never calling people names, or attacking.

But I need to work on these two harder!

SouthernLaw Old North State
05/22/17 6:22 pm

I need to work on them as well.

Of course all of the other ones are very important too, I just thought that 6 and 10 were the most applicable to SOH. 10 is definitely my favorite though. It's something I need to work on doing not only on SOH, but also in every aspect of my life.

05/22/17 1:19 pm

I'm glad you thought so, Commie! I have to admit there are a few I need to work on!

05/22/17 1:49 pm

Liberty 4,032,064
05/22/17 2:53 am

It's obvious click bait, but they're all good items for social media as well as life in general.

05/22/17 1:18 pm

Yeah, I hate slideshows, and haven't to go to multiple pages like that. But this one was just too good for me to pass up. I wish they would do it all on one page, as I'd like to copy and paste it to refer to later, to check up on myself, as there are a few of these that I have to admit I hadn't thought about and need to work on!

05/22/17 1:48 pm

05/22/17 12:56 am

I love the 10th one. Don't misrepresent the gospel. Lol the 10 commandments were for the Jewish people and their covenant with God.

05/22/17 1:02 am

The original 10 commandments were. But Christians follow them also. And this is a set of "commandments" specifically for Christians.

05/22/17 1:28 am

I get that. Christ followers follow his teachings. The Gospel is the New Testament. It tells of the New Covenant God made with people who were not Jewish. The 10 Commandments were not enough to save anyone who wasn't Jewish.

05/22/17 1:29 am

BTW the original 10 Commandments are the one and only. There isn't an updated or part 2 version.

05/22/17 1:43 am

Are you a Christian, kspells?

05/22/17 1:53 am

And you do realize that I know all of what you've said, since I've been a Christian pastor's wife for 37 years, right? That's why I put the word "commandments" in quotes.

05/22/17 4:45 am

Yes I am. Did you not see the irony in number 10? And I don't remember God teaching the 10 Commandments in the New Testament. I'll have to do some research. Can't hurt to dust the Bible off.

05/22/17 6:57 am

The 10 commandments are consistently reinforced in the New Testament. There is an abundant of consistency between the Old and New Testament.

05/22/17 7:33 am

I'm sure the two of you are right. Of course the 10 are all good. I just meant I didn't remember them being part of Christ's teachings. He countered quite a bit of the Old Testament laws. Like most.

05/22/17 7:40 am

The Good Samaritan is a classical case of the constancy between the Old and New Testament. You're right in the sense that Jesus doesn't quote all 10 Commandments in a single verse, but he reinforces all of them throughout his teachings.

05/22/17 7:40 am

Consistency* not constantly

I can't type.

05/22/17 7:50 am

Ok see my point was that 10 was not enough for unclean heathens. More like 1000+
www.cai.org/bible-studies/1050-new-testament-commands

05/22/17 7:52 am

And I know I'm right about JC not teaching the 10.

05/22/17 8:10 am

When you read the Good Samaritan (Luke 10:27-36 or something like that), do you see the connection between loving The Lord and Loving thy Neighbor to the Old Testament?

05/22/17 8:47 am

"So he says, “What do I do to inherit eternal life?” Now, notice the path that Jesus takes. “He said to him, ‘What is written in the law? How does it read to you?’” What does the law say? Let’s go back to the Word of God. You have the Old Testament. What does it say? Well, this is a sharp scholar. This is a scholar of Old Testament Scripture, and he gives exactly the right answer. In verse 27 about “What does the Law say? How does it read?” He combines two scriptures, Deuteronomy 6:4-5 and Leviticus 19:18. Two familiar Scriptures. They are two Scriptures that sum up the entire law of God. In Matthew chapter 22, Jesus said, “These are the two things that sum up the Law of God.” All the law of God is summed up in these two things: “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighbor as yourself.”
- John MacArthur

05/22/17 8:48 am

Here is the full context: www.gty.org/library/sermons-library/90-466/The-Most-Misunderstood-Parable

I think this articulately explains what I'm trying to convey.

05/22/17 10:22 am

I get it. But Jewish people never had to be saved. They never had to believe, accept JC, they had an innate connection, because they were never separate from God. Heaven and earth are one place to them. They were born into it. The Jews could have married non-Jews until future generation knew God. They would do anything for God just not that. We are that revolting.The whole peace on earth, love one another, apparently is not as easy as it should be. The teachings of God/JC is how to achieve it. I'm not saying all Jews are perfect but Christians were the original idol worshipping, bestiality doing, violent, adulterous,money loving, pagans. So I don't connect the Jewish life lesson fables of OT, with The God incarnate having to come here himself and teach the rest of us how to be human.

05/22/17 1:14 pm

Kspells, I'm at a total loss as to what you're getting at.

This poll was meant to be an ENCOURAGEMENT to Christians, as to how we should treat others online--by following the principles of the Bible, not some big debate about the commandments.

If you're a Christian, wouldn't you be for that? Why are you arguing? And exactly what are you arguing? Why are you splitting hairs over the word commandments, instead of either agreeing or disagreeing that this is the way Christians should treat others.

I have to say that I had put you on ignore quite a while back because you do things like this, going on and on about things that really aren't apropos to the poll, and I had to unignore you to read your comments here.

What is your point?

05/22/17 1:31 pm

I see what might be happening, kspells. If you just read the title of each page, you might think that the article is misrepresenting the gospel. However, if you'll read what is under that commandment, you'll see that it is summed up by one sentence:

"People are supposed to be able to look at us and see what Jesus is like."

If we act in other ways--that would be misrepresenting the good news of gospel of Jesus, in this context.

05/22/17 1:47 pm

05/22/17 2:57 pm

Btw, kspells, I just saw the notification again about your saying that Jesus didn't teach the 10 commandments. He summed them all up in 2, which I think someone here already pointed out--Love God, and love your neighbor. If you'll check out the 10 commandments, you'll see this.

The first 4 commandments are about loving God. The last 6 are about loving others.

05/22/17 2:59 pm

Jesus just boiled them down to 2 major commandments. He was good like that! Lol He could take a hard concept and boil it down to what the people understood by telling parables (which were just stories that they would understand from their everyday lives--a lot of them agrarian, since that was the type of society they lived in).

05/22/17 3:35 pm

I don't understand your point behind the link, kspell. A lot of the verses that your link quotes are consistent with the 10 commandments. If your overall premise is that the Old Testament is irrelevant, I reject your premise because that would ignore teachings that aren't obsolete.

05/22/17 4:11 pm

The Ten Commandment's were given to people who knew God but who had turned away giving into earthly sin. So, the Ten Commandments were like a memo, a quick reminder, to get the righteous back on track. God did not come here for the righteous. He came here as the son of man, for the sinners, the wicked immoral. God did not use 1-10 as his teaching guide for Christianity. He began with: those without sin can cast stones. All Christians are sinners at all times, not because there is a check list to judge each other by.

05/22/17 5:53 pm

I don't think that you can distance the 10 commandments from Christianity justly. I would also not use the term "quick reminder" to describe the commandments. Honestly, I'm having trouble following you.

05/22/17 6:27 pm

Christians are all as dames as the next. Saying "Christians" follow the 10 Commandments,to me, is like judgement. A true Christian will be seen obeying all ten easily and happily. Like Jesus would. People who can only manage 5-7 are still struggling with what it means to be a Christian and just need a little help getting there. People who are willfully breaking these rules... well they're not what we would call Christian like at all. There is no scale, no measurement, in Christianity. We are all damned. We all, regardless of sins 1-10+, can be saved.

05/22/17 6:30 pm

I agree with all that you said except for the last sentence, and that will lead to the Arminian vs Calvinist debate. I'm still a little puzzled or confused by this conversation.

05/22/17 6:31 pm

I don't understand the point of the link, either, kspells. Even your links says:

"They cover every phase of man's life in his relationship to God and his fellowmen"

AGAIN--our relationship to God and our neighbors, just like the 10 commandments and the two ultimate commandments of Jesus! They all boil down to how we interact with God and with others!

And these 10 "commandments" also included how we interact with God (how we represent Christ and are his witness as to how Christians behave) and how we interact with others here at SOH.

05/22/17 6:32 pm

Well, I don't know if I would describe obeying the 10 commandments as "easy" for a Christian, but I agree with the overall message.

05/22/17 6:35 pm

And I STILL don't get what your point is. Are you disagreeing that Christians should follow the guidelines set forth in this poll? If not, are you just trolling us, just to be arguing over something? Confused!

05/22/17 6:37 pm

Her last statement says that true Christians follow the 10 commandments, so I'm going to leave it like that because that is correct.

05/22/17 7:13 pm

You really think God thought it necessary to make a special trip down here to make sure we knew, killing, raping cheating, lying were not good. He could have saved himself a trip if he had just remembered he made us in his likeness. We have a conscience we know without him, without Muhammad, without His Holiness the Dali Lama, without any of them, having to tell us, we know right from wrong. And he did not have to come here just to give us a scale 1-10 to measure how right or wrong we are.

05/22/17 7:14 pm

Jesus came here to save his people. I'm having a really hard time following this conversation.

05/22/17 7:32 pm

My comment, not this last one, the one before that, on Christians being able to follow/ or not the 10 Commandments was sarcasm. Christians cannot judge to what degree of Christianity another person is able to achieve. This Judgmental over and undertone of righteousness is what non-believers have a problem with. The 10 Commandments do not define Christianity or what it means to accept JC. Anyone can, will, and should, do the right thing. Failing to do the right thing is bad. And is human, no God needed there.

05/22/17 7:37 pm

I don't care what non-believers have a problem with. I don't worship to satisfy them. Without belief, you can't achieve good works.

05/22/17 7:56 pm

Kspells, I still don't understand what you're getting at, and you still haven't answered my question. Do you disagree that we would all do well to follow the things listed in the article that this poll is based on?

And the fact that you used sarcasm is probably one of the reasons that I didn't understand. I don't EVER use sarcasm because 1) it is hard to tell that someone is using sarcasm on social media 2) I consider sarcasm to be the lowest form of humor--tearing someone else down to build yourself up and 3) even this article talked about not using sarcasm.

Your comments about God not having to come down to give the 10 Commandments makes me wonder if you even believe the Bible, so I'm going to end it right here and say that apparently you disagree with my poll's premise and we're going to have to agree to disagree.

05/22/17 8:00 pm

Yes you can. Idol worshiping pagans, the Buddhists run circles around Christians when it comes to good works, loving one another and achieving peace on earth. Atheists and agnostics all obey "Commandments" it's not that hard to be good, it's life, you don't have believe to be good. And saying Christian follow the 10 implies others do not. And there are some people that fall in between. That scale in which to Judge by has no place in Christianity. We all are damned. Christ is our redeemer, not adherence to an itemized list of what not to do.

05/22/17 8:08 pm

4JC all good rules to follow, for all people, wether they believe in God or not, are on the list. I have a problem with associating adhering to the 10 Commandments with Christianity and the Gospel. And by Gospel I mean the New Testament and JC's teachings. I have read and studied the Bible. And I do not think the reason Christ came here was to tell us we need to obey the 10C's. Knowing right from wrong is so easy everyone can do it.

05/22/17 8:10 pm

Ephesians 2:1 is quite clear about the state of an unregenerate man.

05/22/17 9:12 pm

Would that be a follower of Christ?

05/22/17 9:16 pm

This?
among whom we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the body[a] and the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind.[b] 4 But[c] God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, 5 even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved—

05/22/17 1:17 pm

That's great, bluerum! I've always tried to do a lot of them, but have to admit that I've fallen short on some of those!

05/22/17 1:47 pm

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
05/22/17 3:31 pm

I meant I break a few if those rules. Conparing to others, jealousy, boasting

MrAmerica Adoring the Logos
05/21/17 10:01 pm

I already try and follow all of those rules.

05/22/17 1:16 pm

That's great, MrAmerica. I try to do them also, but have to admit that a few of them pulled me up short! Lol

05/22/17 1:47 pm

05/22/17 1:15 pm

Are you a Christian with a personal relationship with Jesus?

05/22/17 2:29 pm

And you believe that you can treat people however you want to treat them, as a Christian--(which means "little Christ")?

You don't believe that you should be acting Like Christ would want you to act?

I'm really confused. Please explain.

american6 Moderate Libertarian
05/22/17 2:51 pm

I say what I want to say. I don't really need those rules, because I don't really want to treat people badly.

05/22/17 3:06 pm

I don't either. And I try extremely hard to treat others with respect, not call anyone names, not denigrate them, etc. But there were a few of those that pulled me up short and made me rethink how I've been doing some stuff here. I think they were #6 and #10. If you want to know what those say, I posted the entire article at the bottom of this poll.

LoyalOkie E Pluribus Unum
05/21/17 9:35 pm

Absolutely Agree. Great reference, especially liked that with each "commandment" there was a biblical verse or passage to back it up.

05/22/17 1:15 pm

Thanks, Loyal! I've always tried to do most of these here, but I have to say that a few of them pulled me up short! Lol

05/22/17 1:47 pm

05/21/17 9:26 pm

Public service announcement: Unfortunately, SOH has not fixed the targeting bug. Until it is fixed, I have offered to post Christian targeted polls for those who are unable to do so due to the bug. In addition, #Caleb has shown willingness to post Christian targeted polls. If you have any ideas for poll questions, you might want to let him know.

05/21/17 9:22 pm

Christians: #4JC asks, "Here is a great article entitled, "The 10 Commandments of FB: Things Christians Should Never Do on Social Media." While it's aimed at FB use, I think many of the things are good rules for SOH."

Answer Choices
Agree Disagree

www.crosswalk.com/slideshows/the-10-commandments-of-facebook-things-christians-should-never-do-on-social-media.html?utm_content=buffer1dcc5&utm_medium=fbad&utm_source=fbad&utm_campaign=10-commandments-of-facebook-things-christians-should-never-do-on-social-media-lal

05/21/17 9:33 pm

Thanks, Political! I really appreciate it!

05/22/17 1:34 pm

Part 1: I found out a way to read the article without having to click through the slideshow. If you have an Apple device, you can put it on reader view, and read it as an article. In case you can't, and want to read it all here, or copy and paste it into your notes to refer to later (which is what I wanted to do--so I can check up on myself from time to time), I'm copying and pasting the full article here. It will be in several parts below.

05/22/17 1:35 pm

10 Commandments for Christians using social media:

1.Thou shalt not compare yourself to others.

This one’s tough because it’s basically what Facebook is meant to do. It’s like an ever-changing slideshow of what others have that you don’t, and it can leave you feeling left out and lonely.

Before you reach for bitterness, choose to remember your blessings instead. And know that what you see on social media isn’t the nitty-gritty hard stuff—there’s a lot that even the most perfect Instagram families are walking through that you may never see.1. Thou shalt not compare yourself to others.

05/22/17 1:37 pm

2. Thou shalt not add a smiley face to an insult.

05/22/17 1:37 pm

3. Thou shalt not brag about yourself.

Yes, you can celebrate something—a new job, your toddler’s successful potty-training, a winning March Madness bracket—without being arrogant.

That’s different from a constant feed of posts that are designed to subtly (or not-so-subtly) brag about yourself. I’m not saying all selfies are sinful, but here’s what I am saying: Affirmation on Facebook will never be enough. If you are motivated by wanting others to like you and think well of you—whether it’s your physical appearance, witty sense of humor, or list of accomplishments—you’ll always need more to be happy, and you’ll never quite get there.

So what is enough to satisfy that need? Jeremiah 9 23-24 gets to the heart of it: “Let not the wise boast of their wisdom or the strong boast of their strength or the rich boast of their riches, but let the one who boasts boast about this: that they have the understanding to know me.”

05/22/17 1:38 pm

4. Thou shalt not start a discussion that should happen in person.

This one is less black and white. I can’t give you a list of topics you shouldn’t post about, or conversations better had over coffee than via Messenger. Here’s a guideline, though: If you aren’t sure whether you should say something in person or in virtual Facebook-land… talk about it in person, even if it’s something hard, like a confrontation. Chances are, you’ll communicate better that way, with fewer misunderstandings.

Am I saying being passive-aggressive is a sin? Sometimes, because we usually do it out of fear. We avoid hard topics and conflict and genuine honesty with others because we’re not willing to take that risk.

05/22/17 1:39 pm

5. Thou shalt not believe everything you hear.

As in life, be careful to confirm what you see with other sources… and doubly so if you choose to share it. This seems trivial when it’s something like a meme (did Abraham Lincoln really say that?), but it can be more serious when you’re reacting to a news source that distorts or misrepresents what really happened. I’ve seen Christians outraged about something that isn’t even happening, and they feel pretty sheepish when they find out that what they shared wasn’t true.

The reason this matters is because it becomes a trust issue. Unbelievers want to think that Christians are ignorant and untrustworthy. Everyone makes mistakes, but as much as we can, we should be careful not to give them any ammunition for this false stereotype.

05/22/17 1:40 pm

6. Thou shalt not buy into outrage culture.

I can't say this often enough or loudly enough: We must resist the urge to join in the noise of fury & outcry. Outrage gets clicks & comments. It sells, & everyone from retailers to media to public figures are using that knowledge against us. Please, think twice before venting about a situation or an issue on social media. Shouting matches do not advance the gospel. They slowly change our minds & hearts into an “us vs. them” conflict that isn’t biblical.

Before you get pulled into an angry exchange, consider whether it will be worth it. Does the other person seem interested & willing to listen to your point of view? If not, it’s probably best not to respond, or say, “I think we’ll have to agree to disagree on this” & move on.

More..

05/22/17 1:40 pm

Commandment 6 continued:

05/22/17 1:42 pm

7. Thou shalt not put on a spiritual show.

More...

05/22/17 1:42 pm

8. Thou shalt not blur boundaries.

By this, I mean that Facebook allows us to be in contact with everyone, sometimes in ways that aren’t healthy. I’m not just talking about potential problems with staying in touch with old flames when you’re happily married (though that’s certainly included here). You may need to stop seeing some kinds of posts. You may need to stop messaging a “friend” who encourages your bad attitude. You may even need to consider what limits you should put on your overall use of social media, because it can damage the real-life relationships that are significantly more important.

I could give examples, but it’s going to be different for every individual. You know what you struggle with. Pray about areas you may need to cut back with your Facebook interactions.

05/22/17 1:42 pm

Commandment 7 continued:

05/22/17 1:43 pm

9. Thou shalt not gossip.

You know you’ve seen this… and probably done it. It’s easy to slip in a bit of news about others, insult them behind their backs, or intentionally exclude them.

Time to put Ephesians 4:29 into practice: “Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.” Refuse to engage with others’ gossip. Better yet, if you see those types of conversations going on, be brave and call it out, saying something like, “I don’t think Facebook is the right place for that.”

05/22/17 1:43 pm

10. Thou shalt not misrepresent the gospel.

How we use social media matters. Let’s tell the world the truth about who Jesus is.

The End.