ColWestRet May 22nd, 2017 2:51am

A standard shot of espresso is one ounce. I just drank an eight ounce cup of espresso. I can see in slow motion now. Have you ever OD'd on caffeine like this?

Nuclear Boaty McBoatface
05/22/17 11:38 am

Espresso? Wow, Army is going soft I guess. Sailors don't need anything so fancy. Haha

Nemacyst No Lives Matter
05/22/17 7:20 am

This user is currently being ignored

pietsch Another Adoring Fan
05/22/17 6:23 am

Too much caffeine makes me a nervous, anxiety-ridden mess. I gotta have it every morning.

Suzan Hawaii
05/22/17 3:06 am

Oh my goodness… Do not have a heart attack.

Laserbeam Crazy bird lady
05/21/17 9:49 pm

This accurately describes me throughout college

Praetorianus Fair enough.
05/21/17 8:07 pm

At age 13 three cups, not used to it, got jittery but meanwhile, I can drink cortadito or bucci as much as I want with no effect.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
05/21/17 8:13 pm

WARNING: A caffeine overdose can literally kill you with a heart attack that will drop you like a sack of potatoes. The amount you just ingested was probably very close to your lethal limit (which would vary with age, weight, height, metabolism, etc.). One young man was recently killed by drinking two cans of Monster drink.
@4JC - do you still have the links on caffeine overdose deaths that you can share with ColonelWest here? He just drank an 8-oz. glass of espresso!

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/21/17 8:22 pm

@tlaney1 I can't see the question or who started this poll. Could you provide that info for me? Thanks!

Here is the link I shared in the poll I did about this:

www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/05/16/coroner-south-carolina-teen-died-too-much-caffeine/101739718/

Additionally, my son just had a 35 yo co worker that dropped dead on the job from a heart attack because he drank a Monster.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
05/21/17 8:54 pm

@tlaney1: you mean monster energy???
Those drinks have less caffeine than coffee. High B vitamin complex doses may cause a flushed feeling though.
My record is 7 monster energy, and I'm still alive. If 2 kill you, you have a preexisting condition.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/21/17 9:06 pm

Susanr posted some links in my poll that talk about that they have ingredients in them that are not regulated by the FDA. You might want to check those out.

And yes, most of the stories I've heard about this are about people with an underlying heart condition. But some of those people didn't realize they had an underlying heart condition until it was too late, because most of the time, it's been teens and young adults whose doctors wouldn't suspect a heart disorder at such a young age.

On my local news, the anchors said that the AMA recommends that adolescents get no more than 100 mg of caffeine a day. Caffeine expands the blood vessels and raises blood pressure.

FloridaPopulist Nationalist Right
05/22/17 3:32 am

Two monster drinks are nothing feat monger

FloridaPopulist Nationalist Right
05/22/17 3:34 am

That's below the government warning off too much. They recommend to not exceed 400 mg. And each cab has 140. If you die from one or too there's something wrong with you

iceberg124
05/22/17 4:10 am

400 for adult. 100 for a minor

FloridaPopulist Nationalist Right
05/22/17 4:11 am

I'm really sure that's not true because I've had so much more caffeine then that, starting when I was 12. And I've always had to deal with people who don't know what their talking about

iceberg124
05/22/17 4:14 am

www.google.com/amp/amp.livescience.com/48615-how-much-caffeine-should-kids-have.html

Prob depends on tolerance. Someone who never had caffeine and then has multiple coffees for the first time is more likely to Od than someone who's had coffee before

FloridaPopulist Nationalist Right
05/22/17 4:35 am

You won't od on coffee lol. It takes a ridiculous amount to do that

FloridaPopulist Nationalist Right
05/22/17 4:38 am

Lol. 3 cans of coke. I'm sure it's not great for you but really it's not the end of the world If you have a lot of caffeine. I never drank an incredible amount because it's not enjoyable but I have had a couple cans of energy drink when I was under 18 all the time. From when I was like 14 to 15

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/22/17 12:46 pm

@susanr told of a time that she ended up with hallucinations with caffeine, but if I remember correctly, what she did was extreme. Care to share again, Susan?

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/22/17 12:56 pm

Here is a good article about how it can effect different people different ways, and when you might need to cut back:

www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/caffeine/art-20045678

Notice that it says:

"Although caffeine use may be safe for adults, it's not a good idea for children. Adolescents should limit caffeine consumption. Avoid mixing caffeine with other substances, such as alcohol.

Even among adults, heavy caffeine use can cause unpleasant side effects. And caffeine may not be a good choice for people who are highly sensitive to its effects or who take certain medications.

Women who are pregnant or who are trying to become pregnant and those who are breastfeeding should talk with their doctors about limiting caffeine use."

More....

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/22/17 12:57 pm

Part 2. It also says you may need to cut back if you:

Drink more than 4 cups a day & are experiencing these side effects:
Migraine headache
Insomnia
Nervousness
Irritability
Restlessness
Frequent urination or inability to control urination
Stomach upset
Fast heartbeat
Muscle tremors

You should cut back if any of the following apply:

Even a little makes you jittery
You're not getting enough sleep
You're on medications or supplements