Show Of Hands May 21st, 2017 9:06pm

A group of graduating students walked out during Vice President Mike Pence's commencement speech at the University of Notre Dame on Sunday. Valid protest or immature and pointless?

wmgill
05/29/17 1:34 am

Both actually. While a valid protest what did they accomplish other than looking like spoiled brats unwilling to even hear someone speak because they don't like their politics.

jmw7477 Indiana
05/24/17 3:41 am

I think it's the proper way to protest. They didn't damage anything, loot, or anything else destructive. They just walked out.

McGoona
05/23/17 4:08 pm

I don't know the whole story, but if they just walked out and nothing more, that's fine. If they tried in any way to disrupt pence speaking, then that is immature.

TiredofIt Texas
05/23/17 12:19 pm

Rude and Classless. If conservative students did this to Biden or any Democrat though, we'd never hear the end of it....

IEatzCookies Alderaan
05/23/17 9:19 am

Just more retarded college students acting more immature than a 2 year old.

roberbaran
05/23/17 6:03 am

Walking out is immature and offensive. Everyone knows that college students who want to make a political statement should use one hand in the universally-recognized jerking-off motion instead. That's the classy way to do it.

ladyniner81 no hope for humanity
05/23/17 6:02 am

LOL @ the Republicans getting triggered over idiots walking out on a boring speech. Their loss, not Pences.

Now, if it was Hillary, Bill or Obama they walked out of, they'd be cheering. "Nobody would want to hear that crook anyways " or some stupid bullshit like that

Butters Wisconsin
05/23/17 2:17 am

Based on the comments I would say it was pretty effective.

lj74
05/23/17 12:50 am

Extremely immature. I am glad they were called out by the Audience.

thebest539
05/22/17 5:53 pm

They have the right to leave, but it is disrespectful, immature and pointless. As a republican, if Joe Biden was speaking at my graduation ceremony I would be respectful and listen no matter how stupid I thought he was.

enmunate
05/23/17 4:48 am

It's a catholic college and the speaker calls himself an evangelical catholic. Mike Pence is confused about his faith and should sort that out before speaking at a religious school.

Wackacrat Harford County
05/25/17 2:56 am

Enmunate- he was invited to speak. The university called him. They're the ones that need to figure it out.

ClassicalLib Southern California
05/22/17 5:39 pm

People need to stop thinking that their protests are gonna do anything. Express your disapproval with your ballet, not by being an asshole.

Hyli
05/22/17 9:16 pm

Finally, this tutu will pay off! They all thought I was crazy, well WHO'S CRAZY NOW

PyroSadist like my comments follow
05/22/17 12:34 pm

I honestly do not know so somebody here I'm sure will inform me. However if the commencement speech is given before the actual diplomas are headed out I think every single one of those students who walked out should not have been given their diploma during the graduation ceremony. They should have been locked out of the building and allowed to pick up the diploma in the school office. You do not want to stay for the commencement speech you did not deserve to walk across the stage. You are there for the entire ceremony or you are not

BlackC
05/22/17 12:27 pm

Freedom of expression 1st amendment right. Second the guy was speaking like a hypocrite - who wants to sit through somebody talking like that .

ClassicalLib Southern California
05/22/17 5:40 pm

Just because you support the first amendment doesn't mean you have to agree with the statement being made. I believe Nazis have the right to exist but that doesn't mean I agree with them. Claiming the 1st amendment does nothing.

thebest539
05/22/17 5:53 pm

BlackC
05/22/17 6:05 pm

Nazis lost all rights in 1945 forever

ClassicalLib Southern California
05/22/17 6:07 pm

BlackC, Nazis have the same right to freedom of expression that you have as long as they do not directly call for violence.

BlackC
05/23/17 8:00 am

You must be ten . The Nazis caused the death of over 60 million people. They are shit for eternity

ClassicalLib Southern California
05/23/17 9:52 am

I'm talking about NeoNazis. You know, the ones who are actually alive and live in the US today, the ones pertinent to our conversation.

BlackC
05/23/17 10:06 am

There is no part of neo that requires more discussion . Pure evil . Start s party with empathy is more worth wild

ClassicalLib Southern California
05/23/17 10:26 am

'Pure evil' is protected under the first amendment.

BlackC
05/23/17 12:06 pm

Not true you cannot scream fire in a crowded theater unless there is one. So free speech does come with being a responsible respectful adult

ClassicalLib Southern California
05/23/17 3:01 pm

Yelling fire in a crowded theater when there is one is not protected in the same way that defamation and perjury not. They are false statements with serious consequences. There is a clear difference between that and silencing unpopular opinion.

liam2013 iowa
05/22/17 12:09 pm

I applaud them for standing up for their beliefs. It was done in an orderly fashion. Pence's needs to know some of his policy stands are offensive. There were no boos. Free speech in NEVER pointless. Be it for the speaker or the audience.

Tesla Florida
05/22/17 12:10 pm

This ^^^

ClassicalLib Southern California
05/22/17 5:42 pm

Express ones disapproval with you ballet, not by being an ass. It only shows that these students don't even want to listen to somebody expressing an opposing viewpoint, even when the subject matter being expressed was non-political. Sure, they have the right to do it but that does not mean I approve of it. You need to respect people I even if you take offense to their beliefs.

BlackC
05/23/17 10:07 am

He continued too talk to those that embraces his religious zealot viewpoints . No harm done to free speech here

Garytgsr
05/22/17 10:30 am

Weak minded pantyhose brats trying to express themselves! Now they're headed back to mama's basement and their xbox.

Tesla Florida
05/22/17 12:10 pm

Of course since they disagree they're weak minded pantyhose brats.

cornybread The Large Malus Fruit
05/22/17 10:21 am

I personally wouldn't have, and sure, it's kind of bitchy. But that doesn't mean it isn't a valid form of protest. I have to give my generation a little credit for sticking fast and hard when they decide a social issue is important to them.

cowboy Here and There
05/22/17 9:38 am

Communists are everywhere.

cowboy Here and There
05/22/17 10:17 am

Christian bigots that can't handle free speech. These children knew that Pence was going to be there and had to make it about them instead of being adults and listening to the man.

snowflake2020 Florida State University
05/22/17 12:49 pm

Webster has a different definition. Try again

a : a theory advocating elimination of private property
b : a system in which goods are owned in common and are available to all as needed

cowboy Here and There
05/22/17 1:02 pm

That can't be right. It doesn't mention anything about being bigots.

snowflake2020 Florida State University
05/22/17 1:04 pm

Maybe because bigotry as nothing to do with communist policies or any other type of government policies.

cowboy Here and There
05/22/17 1:11 pm

Well that's obviously false.

snowflake2020 Florida State University
05/22/17 1:13 pm

The Webster dictionary has a wrong definition and only you have the right one? You're losing it you socialist!

snowflake2020 Florida State University
05/22/17 1:14 pm

My definition of socialist is an idiot who doesn't know how dictionaries work.

cowboy Here and There
05/22/17 1:15 pm

It's called reality. Join me.

alval California
05/22/17 9:37 am

I wonder how many of them actually voted or are these them same millennials that didn't vote and now complain. I'm not a fan of the VP but I wouldn't walk out on my own graduation....I worked to hard and had to many people want to see me walk for me to let one man get in the way. EXTREMELY pointless! IMO.

BlackC
05/23/17 10:10 am

But at the end of the day a walk out is just another form of free speech like it or not .

alval California
05/23/17 10:29 am

True! Thanks for the reply. Respect 😎

Nos4at2 demented weirdo
05/22/17 9:14 am

Pointless because they walked out before he even opened his mouth. If they disagreed with what he said then that would be the time to make their stand. This just shows political prejudice.

bubbaman
05/22/17 8:53 am

Now they can tell their children and grandchildren about how they walked out on a Mike Pence speech. And, there children and grandchildren can say "who"?

bethanyq Ess Eff
05/22/17 8:43 am

"People would listen to you if you would just be peaceful and nonviolent!"

::students walk out peacefully and nonviolently::

"Stupid disrespectful snowflakes! No one cares about your opinions!"

yepnope Maryland
05/22/17 8:29 am

It kind of makes me happy that they did this because it apparently pissed a lot of you hardcore conservatives off enough to go off on tantrums here 😭😃

dryanmorr
05/22/17 8:26 am

They did that to Obama, oh shit, they'd be racist bigots etc etc.

Mattwall1
05/22/17 8:18 am

Pointless in that I question whether this was the best move from a tactical perspective, but valid in that it was a legal, and (at least from everything I've heard), peaceful protest.

akrealist a log cabin in the woods
05/22/17 7:30 am

Well, they got what they were after (attention) because we are talking about it right here.

I have to say, I'd be pretty irritated if I spent four years preparing to walk across the ND stage at graduation with my family in the audience, and some of my peers hijacked the ceremony to get some press. Jackass move, in my mind.

Look, kids... There is a generation that can say, "I marched with MLK." If you've fooled yourself into believing that fake riots at Berkeley or catching yourself in a selfie as you're walking out on a Mike Pence speech at your graduation have some significant relevance or impact (other than your own meme moment), you have entirely missed the point. If you want to make a difference, you're going to have to climb out of the cocoon of academia and figure out how to contribute in the real world.

Romanus47
05/22/17 6:55 am

Some people on here forget that the 1st Amendment still exists

abusara i drink and i know things
05/22/17 7:36 am

That damn first amendment. People always using it in ways I disagree with 😂😂😂

Red4799 Asking the Big Questions
05/22/17 7:40 am

Yea no one said they couldn't do it. Just that it's stupid.

WaffleBrainz Indiana
05/22/17 6:35 am

its funny because it looked like about 100 out of +7,500 students actually walked out.

good job spoiled, rich notre dane students. your "protest" was completely pointless.

BUILD THE WALL

CrzyChica
05/22/17 8:43 am

What does building the wall have to do with this topic?

nacho
05/22/17 6:13 am

So students at a Catholic university applauded a speech by a President who supports abortion on demand and walked out on staunchly pro life Vice President?
Wonder where they get their situational ethics from?

gonzoboy Arizona
05/22/17 6:10 am

I don't like this, but that's just me and my own personal sense of decorum. Were any laws broken by a walkout? No. Were free speech rights exercised by a staged walkout? Yes. But when I see these things happen on campuses across the country, I wonder what the point of it all was. Regardless what their actual broader point might be, it's usually upstaged by the act itself. Don't like Pence? Then just don't go. Wanna be famous for a few hours, a day maybe? Then continue with these marginally publicized acts; you're guaranteed that Right! But with no REAL chance of making the changes you seek by these overt acts of rudeness and disrespect, it all seems such a hollow endeavor, an effort in futility.

45454545
05/22/17 6:06 am

Rude, self-centered, close-minded, intolerant, narrow-minded, one-sided, xenophobic, typical behavior and attitude of democrat, liberal on display for all to see.

thatguy2 We tried to warn you
05/22/17 7:12 am

Ironic that those labels actually apply to Pence.

abusara i drink and i know things
05/22/17 7:37 am

Luckily I'm a fan of irony 😂😂😂

45454545
05/22/17 8:48 am

I got the descriptions from observing Shumer, Pelosi, Waters, Obama, Lerner, Jarrett, Perez, Schiff, Lynch, HRC, Holder, Boxer, Feinstein, Harris, Rice, Farkas, Lewis, Ellison, Biden, Brown, Warren, Hirono, Durbin, Franken, Ginsburg, Podesta, Robart

Brrrrrrrrr
05/22/17 5:38 am

Why? Was there a Starbucks hiring booth outside?

ptellini Homosuperior
05/22/17 5:29 am

I would definitely say it was immature.

moldypipes9
05/22/17 3:47 am

Cannot wait for these kida to get ofgended by their boss. Walk out of a meeting, get fired ..... hahaha

moldypipes9
05/22/17 3:47 am

What else would we expect from generation gimme gimme gimme .... or generation safe space ..... or generation every one gets a trophy .
Gradiation speaxhes r very rarely political.

finalfr0ntier
05/21/17 11:55 pm

The fact we're discussing it now indicates it was not pointless

SticksandStones Stop fearmongering
05/21/17 11:56 pm

What will change because of it?

finalfr0ntier
05/22/17 12:57 am

The discourse over time will determine that

jdengel
05/22/17 4:56 am

What is being discussed? The kids behavior or the reason they walked out?

Even if they had legitimate grievances, it gets lost by acting immature.

thatguy2 We tried to warn you
05/22/17 7:14 am

You call their action immature to avoid discussing their objections, the fact the Pence would impose his religious beliefs on all of us if he could.

EquaISideEcon more conservative than u
05/22/17 7:58 am

But he doesn't. He has not imposed his will upon Americans to conform to his religion.

jdengel
05/22/17 4:34 pm

I would never shy away from discussing any topic, one thing I'm not afraid to be, is wrong, but in this case, I don't think I am

AnarchoComrade Anarchist Federation
05/21/17 11:33 pm

The students simply used their rights. The rights guaranteed to us by the Constitution, and protected by our military. They made the decision, so they have every right to use collective will to make any change or portray any public message. Just speaking from a legal standpoint........

SticksandStones Stop fearmongering
05/21/17 11:56 pm

That's all fine and good, but what are they accomplishing? If I were to say, for instance, that rap music was complete worthless trash, while speaking through a huge megaphone from the top of a building in Times Square (let's assume everyone heard me) I would be excercising my right to freedom of speech. But what did I accomplish? Rap music fans will call me childish and stupid and rap haters will praise me. The only point I could see to this would be if I wanted negative attention from some and praise from others, became that's all that this would really accomplish.

Pinkaliscious Peace Out
05/22/17 12:31 am

Mike Pence saw how they felt about his presence. It was a clear message that they do not support him.

SticksandStones Stop fearmongering
05/22/17 1:24 pm

Exactly what patrioticparody said. You don't think Pence didn't know there were many people who didn't support him? So now he knows some random ND graduates don't as well. What's going to change?

Pinkaliscious Peace Out
05/22/17 2:07 pm

Think about it. If you were a politician and people didn't want to even listen to you at their own graduation and walked out that's a pretty clear message. Politicians rally support. He clearly didn't have theirs.

patrioticparody Pale Blue Dot
05/22/17 3:07 pm

Two things: one, it means a lot less now than it used to because it seems like everyone and their cat is walking out on someone everyday now. It's just part of how things go so it's really not impactful at all. The second, and more important point, is that it's immature. It's simply not the time or place for such a demonstration. If you have that big of a problem you don't attend the ceremony in the first place. To me, I just seen an attention grab. Those kids just want their friends to think they're cool but getting up and walking out in the middle of someone's speech because that's what's cool now. It's immature.

Pinkaliscious Peace Out
05/22/17 4:19 pm

I don't see it as immature at all. I see it as taking a stand. Pence is old school. He got the message.

AnarchoComrade Anarchist Federation
05/22/17 4:23 pm

I don't understand why some people are so quick to call demonstrations immature.

Pinkaliscious Peace Out
05/22/17 4:29 pm

Apparently they think it's necessary to sit down and suffer through a speech rather than take a stand and walk out.

SticksandStones Stop fearmongering
05/22/17 10:46 pm

"Pence is old school. He got the message."

So what if he did? I don't mean to sound rude, but do you really, deep in your heart, believe that Pence will change his policies, his very values, just because some college kids walked out on him?

Pinkaliscious Peace Out
05/23/17 10:40 am

That's not the point. If a conservative leaning college has graduates that have walked off in protest it's a sign that they see what you stand for and resist.

SticksandStones Stop fearmongering
05/23/17 11:36 am

Yes, it is a sign that some college students see wat he stands for and resist. I still don't see why that matters. It won't change anything.

Pinkaliscious Peace Out
05/23/17 12:57 pm

You are head strong. I'll give you that.

It matters to take a stand for yourself and to resist what goes against yourself does it not? Isn't land of the free, home of the brave based on resistance from what once was?

SticksandStones Stop fearmongering
05/23/17 2:43 pm

I don't know, does it? When Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat, she resisted and made a difference, helping the Civil Rights movement. That matters. When the colonists fought the British, they resisted and made a difference, freeing America from Britain. When a few college kids walked out on the Vice President speaking, they...kind of resisted and made the news.

Good for them for standing up for their views, resisting, and whatever. The original question I asked in this comment thread was "what are they accomplishing?" And so far all I've gotten is "they're making Pence aware they don't support him," "they're resisting," "they're making a statement." Stuff like that that hardly counts as an accomplishment and brings about no change whatsoever.

Pinkaliscious Peace Out
05/23/17 2:51 pm

That's because we can't know what they are accomplishing because it just happened. They could be working on movements we are not aware of.

SticksandStones Stop fearmongering
05/23/17 3:07 pm

Well, if any huge movements spring up that originated from this walk out, then I will gladly admit I was wrong in saying that nothing was accomplished or changed.

Pinkaliscious Peace Out
05/23/17 3:56 pm

Movements are happening all over the nation. It's just hard to have perspective on the present. The thing about history is time and perspective.

deist
05/21/17 10:55 pm

Good for them , he doesn't deserve their respect.

thebarr
05/22/17 3:10 am

Why not?

nipslip
05/22/17 4:20 am

he's a trash human being

thebarr
05/22/17 4:34 am

What makes you say that?

nipslip
05/22/17 11:18 am

thinking gay people need electroshock therapy to turn straight is fucked up enough. he's super hateful. that's trash.

Tazer Dumpster fire
05/21/17 10:33 pm

It's beyond petty and childish.

pierson Vermont
05/21/17 10:32 pm

If it didn't say immature I would have gone with pointless

cvandykemo
05/21/17 10:25 pm

Please forgive the digression of my comment: I find that Notre Dame erred in inviting Mike Pence to speak at this event. This should have been about celebrating and commemorating those receiving degrees. Instead, it turned into a divisive and polarized debate that detracted from the main focus of the day, the graduates. ND had to have known this would happen, walkout or no walkout.
A better choice would have been to invite somebody with an inspirational message for all, regardless of political disposition. At my graduation from UNC in 1991, Charles Kuralt was the guest speaker and he delivered an eloquent address that captured everybody's attention and made us all feel as if he were speaking to each us personally. There was no protest that day; rather, he received a standing ovation at the end of his remarks.
Here's a clip of Mr. Kuralt at another graduation (not mine) so you can get an idea of what I'm talking about: youtu.be/Jy8Z_nqn_Q0. Surely, ND could have done better.

thebarr
05/22/17 3:11 am

But it was fine when they invited Joe Biden?

Survivalistien I am Green and Retired
05/21/17 10:06 pm

I'm not saying Vice President Mike Pence isn't important but who honestly remembers anything Vice Presidents do... Besides those kids have nothing to "protest" about.

bubbaman
05/21/17 10:04 pm

What would you rather tell your children? I heard the VP speak, or I walked out and didn't. Not listening to those you don't agree with is a foolish.

cluney
05/21/17 10:00 pm

What are they protesting?

cato Santa Barbara, California
05/22/17 10:14 am

Excellent point. Snowflakes have no idea what is going on. They just follow each other like lemmings.

princess27 Trump Card
05/21/17 8:23 pm

It's very sad and unfortunate. They're very uneducated. I don't think they'll be handling the real world very well.

phalnx Ohio
05/21/17 9:31 pm

Call them whatever else you want, but they all graduated college. Uneducated they are not. Unindoctrinated may be the word you're looking for.

princess27 Trump Card
05/21/17 9:34 pm

Ha. You don't need to be a genius to graduate anything! They have a degree. Oh my! They don't have maturity or respect. They will be frowned upon.

Louderthebetter
05/21/17 10:44 pm

Silly response, they're the exact opposite. Highly educated from a reputable, academic institution. Perhaps consider Mike Pences role in that said state of Indiana and why those walk outs happened. Don't be misinformed AND uninformed.

GlockMan1 Alabama
05/21/17 8:18 pm

SNOWFLAKES. 🤧🤧🤧🤧

stellamarie WA
05/21/17 9:08 pm

...wow good one 🙄🙄🙄

Louderthebetter
05/21/17 10:44 pm

Overplaying your hand.

AnarchoComrade Anarchist Federation
05/21/17 11:36 pm

Why are you so triggered Glock? They're just using the rights guaranteed to them by the Constitution. Does that bother you?

GlockMan1 Alabama
05/22/17 6:22 am

Yes it does bother me. In the process of exercising "their rights", they have showed the world that TOLERANCE and INCLUSIVENESS is not an attribute of the liberal left. They preach it to Christians but don't practice it themselves.

CrzyChica
05/22/17 8:52 am

Gee, because the GOP is soooooooo tolerant and inclusive themselves? That's the pot calling the kettle black right there.😂😂😂😂 Demonstrating your disagreement with the platform of a political party is not the same as being intolerant or against inclusivity. We have every right to disagree with him and what he represents.

SticksandStones Stop fearmongering
05/21/17 8:18 pm

You think Pence is going to care or take these people seriously? Or anyone else from the right? Will it change anything? All it does is create an excuse for the people who share their dislike for Pence or Trump or conservatives or whatever to pat each other on the back. So if that's what they want, there's a point, I guess...

messiah
05/21/17 8:16 pm

Would not have done it myself, even though i heavily dislike Pence, but I think it was fine and not immature. It was a silent protest opposed to throwing and yelling stuff at him, which was a nice change from what has been going on (cough, cough, Berkeley)

pcisbs1 Baltimore to Central PA
05/21/17 8:05 pm

One would think that they could just sit for 4 hours out of respect. That's all R-E-S-P-E-C-T

nipslip
05/22/17 4:20 am

mike pence deserves no respect tho

articulat
05/22/17 5:16 am

He holds the 2nd highest position in your country... show some respect or show yourself over the border

CrzyChica
05/22/17 8:54 am

Sorry, no. Disagreeing with a political party and what it stands for is very American. Show yourself over the border if you think people who protest have no right to do so. THAT is un-American.

pcisbs1 Baltimore to Central PA
05/22/17 12:52 pm

It's called morals Snowy and taking the high ground

ladyniner81 no hope for humanity
05/23/17 5:15 am

Like how conservatives showed respect for Obama and Biden?

Zardoz California native
05/21/17 7:46 pm

Everyone saying these grads are close minded for refusing to listen to Pence's speech are missing the point.
Pence is a public figure-- his views are well known. And he's giving a graduation speech. It's fluff. It's not like this is the venue where he's going to break new ground with a big reveal about his new support for the LGBTQ community.
The students who oppose Pence handled themselves fine.