ArdentNerdyGirl May 21st, 2017 6:50am

Do you believe a G.E.D. is truly equivalent to a High School Diploma?

Suzan Hawaii
05/21/17 3:21 pm

Unfortunately with the education of our children are getting today, I say yes.

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
05/21/17 8:31 am

It's not the same. I say this as a former military recruiter. Academically....it may be the same as a bare minimum HS diploma....but HS completion is more than that. It is also socialization, the discipline of showing up on time every day. It's doing your work on time to someone else's schedule. The failure rate of a GED holder compared to a HS graduate in the military is about 5x greater. For whatever reason.....GED holders really struggle. When I was recruiting, if you had a ged....you also needed a year of college credits to enlist....and even then....you were only offered the shit jobs nobody else wants. Stay in school people, there are no shortcuts.

Pinkaliscious Peace Out
05/21/17 9:04 am

You have to show up and study for a GED too. You have to commit to 4 hour test sessions. It's not easy to study for 4 years and pass.

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
05/21/17 11:40 am

A ged is better than nothing. My point is that it's not on par with a HS diploma. A good study here: www.researchgate.net/publication/265570952_The_Military_Performance_of_GED_Holders

And it corrects my claim above on failure rate. I was wrong

PamGH SW Washington
05/21/17 6:26 am

Sometimes it's better. There are standards to meet. A high school diploma just means you managed to show up for four years.

SouthernLaw Old North State
05/21/17 7:27 am

Depends on what high school you went to. For some it's not that easy.

PamGH SW Washington
05/21/17 8:35 am

I went to an upper class white high school..know that I am old and quite smart. I did next to nothing and graduated with a 2.89 gpa. That's horrid I know. I shall now redeem myself with my 3.89 college gpa.

bandofthehawk Where Griffith isnt
05/21/17 5:18 am

I'd think it is, some of my best friends have a GED, and seeing how hard they studied I believe it should be the same.

Pinkaliscious Peace Out
05/21/17 1:02 am

I use to help people get GEDs and I can tell you that it's a lot harder than a high school diploma.

ArdentNerdyGirl USA
05/21/17 1:03 am

I have heard this from many people.