RussianThunder May 20th, 2017 11:21pm

A video of a shoe starting in the autumn called "The Good Doctor". It is about a surgical resident with high functioning autism and savant syndrome. I realize it's just a TV show but do you think a person like this would be successful in real life?

catpillow Florida West Coast
05/21/17 6:38 pm

Such a person could be a brilliant diagnostician.

dylkohl The Media Lies
05/21/17 12:21 pm

"would be?" not sure. "could be?" absolutely

myob
05/21/17 6:07 am

Savants are preferable in some jobs.

Harry3603 Tampa Bay Florida.
05/21/17 4:01 am

This show is by the creators of House, and that was one of my all time favorites, too. Normally, I really don't like medical shows.

4boot LaTrineodeur, MN
05/20/17 8:39 pm

The movie "The Accountant" featured Ben Affleck playing an autistic savant who became...well, an accountant. More to the story, with much of it hard to believe, but entertaining. Also, the first movie titled after my profession...🖨💵 🤑

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/20/17 7:31 pm

RT, you might be interested in knowing that there have already been two tv shows on that have autistic characters.

One was Parenthood, and the other is Chicago Med. On Chicago Med, Dr. Latham was recently diagnosed with autism and they showed his deep brain stimulation and his recent decision to stop the treatment because it was making him too empathetic with his patients, thus interfering with his ability to be clinically absent when doing surgery on them, causing his hand to shake.

In other words, much like a bipolar patient will come off their meds because it blunts their senses and makes them feel less creative, this doctor felt the treatment was interfering with his ability to do surgery. I thought that was an interesting take and that he was willing to go back to not understanding a lot of the nuances that other people understand in convo, in order to do his job was interesting, imho.

I think with advances in medicine, that those with autism have more choices than ever!

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/20/17 7:37 pm

Wow! Just watched the video, and I think that is going to be one of my new faves of the new season! Thanks for sharing! Adding it to my TV Show Tracker app!

I'm a fan of Hill Harper (CSI, NY, Limitless, Covert Affairs) and Robert Schiff (The West Wing). I especially love Robert's passion in those scenes!

ronderman North Carolina
05/20/17 6:52 pm

RT. My wife is a physician in the NICU. Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. She believes one of her colleagues is undiagnosed autistic.

In short, it is very possible. In the past, there have been many Drs that have had these tendencies who were never diagnosed because it is a relatively new diagnosis.

ctskapski x
05/20/17 6:49 pm

Really depends on the manifestation of their autistic tendencies. I don't see why not, in the right cases.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
05/20/17 6:00 pm

High functioning autistic's make very good scientist. I think my son may have one of the disorders although it was never diagnosed. He served in the Navy and he graduated with high honors and was a member of the international honor society. His son is autistic, diagnosed.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
05/20/17 6:11 pm

There is a hereditary component

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
05/20/17 6:22 pm

Thank you for letting me know that. I had learning disabilities too.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
05/20/17 5:28 pm

I'll watch it if it's on cable! What network? Sounds fascinating!

mistah Happy Happy Joy Joy
05/20/17 5:59 pm

It's going to be on ABC this fall.

Casper Deep inthe Heart ofTexas
05/20/17 4:56 pm

I hope it's possible.
I know it will make good TV.

commonsense America isnt racist
05/20/17 4:38 pm

It seems very very unlikely that this would happen. Typical "Hollywood" imagination to push an agenda.

rons WOKE is sick
05/20/17 4:29 pm

I don't watch doctor shows. But this would show a lot of prejudice against him and in the end he prevails with good deeds. Might get old fast. The had a number of shows with guys have extraordinary mental abilities. They lasted on season.

RussianThunder Russia and USA
05/20/17 4:23 pm

"Show" not "shoe. Stupid autocorrect.

rons WOKE is sick
05/20/17 4:26 pm

Ha! I tell my students the the problem is usually between the keyboard and the chair.

TheBioHazard United We Stand.
05/20/17 4:26 pm

Lol it seems like you've been really active recently 😂

RussianThunder Russia and USA
05/20/17 4:28 pm

It autocorrects my Russian as well. I need it to autocorrect my Hebrew but will it? Nooooooo. Stupid iPad. 😂😂😜😜