polster2 May 20th, 2017 12:47pm

A 2012 analysis revealed that addiction rates to illegal drugs have remained virtually unchanged since 1970. Drug enforcement spending increased dramatically during the same time period. Does this indicate that the drug war has been successful?

think4yourself Not a safe space
05/20/17 11:11 am

Not true. The opium addiction rates skyrocketed in the early 1900s when it was legal. The government banned them and dramatically cut addiction rates as well as the crack epidemic of the 1980s.

05/20/17 7:27 pm

Look at the data. The rate of illicit drug addiction is unchanged from 47 years ago.

think4yourself Not a safe space
05/20/17 8:25 pm

Are you denying there was an opium epidemic and a crack epidemic?

think4yourself Not a safe space
05/21/17 2:05 am

And do you think it was a coincidence that the opium addiction rates dramatically dropped after the government banned it and the crack epidemic was greatly reduced after the government increased drug enforcement against crack dealers?

05/21/17 2:08 am

Based on the data I've seen, yes.

think4yourself Not a safe space
05/21/17 2:17 am

Lol. You are in complete denial if you think that it is a coincidence those epidemics minimized after the government cracked down on them and luckily for the children having to grow up in those neighborhoods some cared enough to try to clean them up instead of your tweaker utopia.

05/21/17 3:10 am

Drug addiction rates in the US are as high today as they were when the drug war began.

think4yourself Not a safe space
05/21/17 11:10 am

The reason the crack and opium epidemics were greatly reduced was because of drug enforcement as well as other drugs. I lived in a major city were a meth epidemic was happening with meth houses popping up all over and finally they got tough on cracking down on it and it got tremendously better.

think4yourself Not a safe space
05/21/17 11:13 am

Plus the link you provided is questionable at best. He provides links to back up his assumption but the links are broken so I can't see where he comes up with that. Regardless it is foolish to think these epidemics went away without enforcement.

05/21/17 12:43 pm

Then why did drug addiction rates fall by 50% in Portugal after that country decriminalized all drugs in 2001?

think4yourself Not a safe space
05/21/17 1:46 pm

Trying to change the focus doesn't detract from the facts that I stated. There are plenty of inner city neighbors where drugs are ramped and little enforcement is done. Move into one of those drug infested neighborhoods if you like but I don't want me or my kids living like that and if a drug house pops up in my neighborhood I want the police to be able to weed it out.

05/30/17 2:52 am

Pinkaliscious Peace Out
05/20/17 6:24 am

People will seek to self medicate regardless of "The War On Drugs."

05/20/17 6:25 am

That's certainly what the data show.

Think Lovin Life
05/20/17 6:11 am

Given that the US population in 1970 was 203 million and the population today is approaching 350 million, having the same rate of people involved in harmful drugs means that the raw number of lives impacted has gone up dramatically.

It is a national tragedy that so many lives are ruined because of selfishness. However, without the War on Drugs, the rate would have increased and even more lives would have been lost.

The change that is needed is stiffer penalties for all involved in drugs. Let's start with the death penalty for dealing.

05/20/17 6:17 am

Do you have evidence that the rate of Americans addicted to illicit drugs would have increased without the war on drugs? Portugal decriminalized all drugs in 2001 after having one of the highest rates of illicit drug addiction in all of Europe, and since then the rate of those addicted to illicit drugs has fallen by half.

www.yesmagazine.org/peace-justice/portugal-cut-drug-addiction-rates-in-half-by-connecting-users-with-communities

buffalozulu New Adventures
05/20/17 8:25 am

According to Think we should kill all those who drink or do any drugs

think4yourself Not a safe space
05/20/17 11:09 am

The crack epidemic of the 1980s was absolutely destroying neighborhoods. Increased drug policing diminished the problems greatly.

Think Lovin Life
05/20/17 6:32 pm

Buffalo ... how many innocent people are you willing to sacrifice for your obsession?

buffalozulu New Adventures
05/20/17 6:34 pm

Think ... I don't drink. I don't do drugs. I'm in high school. I don't have an obsession or an addiction.

Think Lovin Life
05/20/17 6:39 pm

Buffalo ... great! I encourage you to keep it that way. The question remains, how many are you willing to sacrifice for the luxury of others drinking and doing drugs?

05/20/17 5:50 am

Ditto statistics on poverty showing the exact same thing despite vastly increased spending. End the failed War on Drugs, end the failed War on Poverty.

05/20/17 5:53 am

The poverty rate in America has fallen 7% since President Johnson declared a War on Poverty in 1964. The poverty rate in America was 19% in 1964. It was 12% in 2012, which is the most recent year for which statistics are available.

www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/01/13/whos-poor-in-america-50-years-into-the-war-on-poverty-a-data-portrait/

05/20/17 5:57 am

Nope, wrong again. Stop reading fake news.

read.bi/2rCXnq6

05/20/17 5:59 am

Pew Research isn't fake news. LOL

05/20/17 6:03 am

Your own fake news article admits it's a giant failure. From 19% to 15% despite fifty years and trillions wasted. Shouldn't it be gone by now? What's taking so long?

I swear I could never be dumb enough to be a liberal. Use one set of logic for an issue I hate and then use an entirely different set of logic for one I like despite both being the same damn thing. 🤦🏼‍♂️

05/20/17 6:05 am

Has there been a reduction in the poverty rate in America since 1964, yes or no?

05/20/17 6:09 am

Nope, from 39.5 million in 1959 to 45.3 million in 2013. Last time I took math class the teacher called that an increase.

This, again, despite trillions spent over fifty years, just like drug war. But one is bad, the other good. Following this logic folks?? 😂

05/20/17 6:12 am

Has the population of the United States increased since 1964, yes or no?

Think Lovin Life
05/20/17 6:15 am

Polster ... you're playing the statisticians game to mask the problem. Stop talking rates and start talking number of lives ruined.

05/20/17 6:18 am

Polster, is it exhausting being this stupid or do you get used to it after a while?

05/20/17 6:18 am

"Stop talking rates." LOL, so we shouldn't adjust for population in any way? How is that even remotely realistic or useful?

05/20/17 6:19 am

Scotty...I was about to ask you the same question. I'm still waiting on your response to my question. Has the population of the United States increased since 1964, yes or no?

05/20/17 6:21 am

War on Drugs: trillions spent, rates same

War on Poverty: trillions spent, rates same

Yes or no?

05/20/17 6:23 am

No, the poverty rate has fallen. Now, answer my question. Has the population of the United States increased since 1964, yes or no?

05/20/17 6:29 am

No, rates are the same. But don't let facts get in the way of a good ideology. Communism works perfectly on paper too.

05/20/17 6:30 am

Actually, according to Pew, the rates have fallen since 1964. Also, I'm not a communist. Would you like to answer my question now? Has the population of the United States increased since 1964, yes or no?

05/20/17 6:35 am

When did you discover your love of communism? Was it when Stalin killed 50 million of his people or when Mao killed 50 million of his?

Think Lovin Life
05/20/17 6:37 am

Polster ... how is it useful to talk about the actual number of people who's lives are ruined by Democrats? I understand your consistent callousness towards human lives.

05/20/17 6:37 am

Scotty...I do not love communism, and I am not a communist. Are you ready to answer my question now? Has the US population increased since 1964, yes or no?

05/20/17 6:38 am

Think...The reason why you'd rather look at raw numbers rather than rates is because if you look at rates, I'm proven correct.

05/20/17 6:46 am

Polster just answered my earlier question, apparently he gets used to it after a while.

05/20/17 6:48 am

Scotty...Are you ready to answer my question now? Has the US population increased since 1964, yes or no?

05/20/17 7:04 am

NASA spends $23 billion with the goal of "landing a man on the moon and returning him safely to the Earth" within ten years and we get six missions carrying twelve men to the moon, all ahead of schedule.

The federal government spends 15 TRILLION with the goal of "eradicating poverty in America". 50 YEARS later we still have poverty. Care to square that circle?

05/20/17 7:06 am

Scotty...Poverty rates have fallen. Are you ready to answer my question now? Has the US population increased since 1964, yes or no?

05/20/17 7:07 am

Did NASA accomplish its goals, yes or no?

05/20/17 7:08 am

Scotty...Answer my question first. Has the US population grown since 1964, yes or no?

05/20/17 7:22 am

After you answer mine. Did NASA accomplish its goals, yes or no?

05/20/17 7:23 am

Scotty...This conversation doesn't continue until you answer my question. I asked you first. Has the US population increased since 1964, yes or no?

05/20/17 7:37 am

Wrong, me first. Did NASA accomplish its goals, yes or no?

05/20/17 7:23 pm

Scotty...I asked you first.

05/21/17 4:15 am

Polster... no you didn't. Did NASA accomplish its goals, yes or no?

05/21/17 4:42 am

Check the time stamps on those questions.