Praetorianus May 20th, 2017 12:58am

Since April, an idling device called fidget spinner, basically a small usually three blade rotor with a ball bearing, is all the rage. Do you have one (or plan to get one)?

jmw7477 Indiana
05/23/17 7:24 pm

I bought one for my husband. It's the best $6 I've spent in a long time.

xtarite
05/20/17 7:58 am

Iv had one since before theme craze started.

Suzan Hawaii
05/20/17 6:30 am

I will buy some as giveaways for Halloween.

FacePalm That Trick Never Works
05/19/17 11:58 pm

Nope, but I know someone who makes and sells them using his 3D printer.

His are niftier than the ones in stores.

ProudCentrist Chicago, Illinois
05/19/17 10:44 pm

I got one for $3 and I use 8t whenever I'm done with all of my work, but don't want to go on my phone.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/19/17 9:27 pm

No. They are dangerous to kids under 8. I posted a poll this week about a kid that swallowed the bearing, and it got stuck in his esophagus. They had to do surgery to remove it.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
05/19/17 9:37 pm

To swallow the bearing the kid had to take the device apart which seems harder than swallowing one of those smaller Lego pieces. Want to ban Lego?

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/19/17 9:47 pm

Part 2. Many toys come with choking hazard warnings. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, choking is a leading cause of injury and death among children, especially those 3 or younger. In a statement from the Committee on Injury, Violence, and Poison Prevention, the academy warns that "Food, coins, and toys are the primary causes of choking-related injury and death. Certain characteristics, including shape, size, and consistency, of certain toys and foods increase their potential to cause choking among children."

www.cnn.com/2017/05/17/health/texas-fidget-spinner-xray-trnd/index.html

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/19/17 9:47 pm

I looked up the article and take that back--it's not just a choking hazard for those 8 and under. The girl was 10! Did I say anything about banning them? I said I wouldn't personally buy one! And no, I wouldn't have Legos sitting around available for a toddler to choke on either.

The US Consumer Product Safety Commission agrees: "Anything with small parts, keep it away from young children. If it can fit through a toilet paper roll, don't give it to a young child, and make sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions," spokeswoman Patty Davis advised.

More...

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/19/17 9:51 pm

Additionally, this was originally a medical device that was sold to help those with ADHD focus. The way I understand it, toy companies have jumped on the bandwagon, making it into a toy. And I wonder if they've not used the same standards as the medical device company, to make sure they're safe.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
05/19/17 9:59 pm

Did you read what I said about Lego?
Basically, ban ALL toys with small parts, right?
Teddy Bears are fine, just make them eyeless, those glass beads are a choking hazard.
THIS IS SARCASM which I'm not good at.
Ban Lego!!! 😨

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/19/17 10:01 pm

I'm not good at understanding sarcasm, so I still don't get what you're getting at! Lol

Are you saying we should ban all small toys?

I'm just saying that parents should use common sense, and that this "toy" is more dangerous than others because it easily comes apart (according to some articles I read), and the smaller part that comes out is a choking hazard, as opposed to a Lego, that all parents can look at and see is a small choking hazard.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
05/19/17 10:07 pm

It's new to me it comes apart easily.
I'll test it over a few days handson and factually 😊

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/19/17 10:08 pm

Great! But keep in mind what I said about brands. It could be that the one that this kid choked on is an inferior product. It told the name of the company in the article, so you could check that and see if it's the same company that you got your from.

WorstGooEver Nuke the Hurricanes
05/19/17 8:57 pm

They are all over my school, and for the most part the kids don't make them a distraction. Personally, I think they are awesome for their intended purpose. The problem is now they are almost a kind of status symbol in the school and everyone has to have one.

WorstGooEver Nuke the Hurricanes
05/19/17 8:59 pm

And yes... I purchased one for myself almost immediately. I was an ADD kid and think they're great. My wife doesn't get it.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
05/19/17 8:44 pm

I have taken a few from students recently

loo Colorado
05/20/17 5:59 am

Me too. Definitely more distracting than helpful. I'm hoping this fad fades over the summer.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
05/20/17 6:34 am

Teachers suck.
Pink Floyd was right - another brick in the wall.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
05/20/17 7:00 am

I told her she can ask for it back the last day of school

Okie1967 The world is crazy
05/19/17 8:23 pm

Here's the original fidget spinner. youtu.be/VTrxTOFxA50

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
05/19/17 8:10 pm

No. In the olden days. You could string a button. Two or four hole doesn't matter. But the button and tie the string off. But the bottom in the middle and twisted up then you could put your hands apart and bring them together and entertain yourself for hours. I know they did this on the westward expansion and it was popular in the 1950s also.

corino Utah
05/19/17 7:59 pm

They are EVERYWHERE! THIS FAD MUST DIE!!!!

Amykl Temecula, CA
05/19/17 7:58 pm

Our 11 year old has one, and also had a kadama when they were the fad....all these toys come and go.....

singkitty In the cloud
05/19/17 7:57 pm

I received one as a gift. It's brass and sits on my desk at work.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
05/19/17 7:47 pm

Yes! I love mine. And I have even seen ads for a new one with a colored LED on each arm.
But the government issued a warning this week to keep these out of reach of small unsupervised children, because the plastic insert pops out easily and presents a choking hazard.

cpaswr just say the letters
05/19/17 7:22 pm

Cool!!! Bruce Lee wrote the article!!!

RussianThunder Russia and USA
05/19/17 6:36 pm

We all have one. They are great

Zach21 California
05/19/17 6:30 pm

I do not plan to get one.

LibArtie SW Connecticut
05/19/17 6:25 pm

I'd never heard of it until a day or two ago. Certainly something I can and will live without.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
05/19/17 6:48 pm

I've noticed a lot of trashed packages with small, tripod base like indentations and the devices in windows of $5 shops and those shops that sell souvenirs or CBD stuff and vaping equipment.
So I researched.

ZaQ777 Pittsburgh
05/19/17 6:11 pm

I have a lot of things that I fidget with, but I found those spinners really dumb.

chinito Florida
05/19/17 6:10 pm

I don't have any but my daughter does.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
05/19/17 7:50 pm

If she is very young, see my comment above!

chinito Florida
05/19/17 8:33 pm

I just read your post above. Thanks for the concern. My youngest has 4. I'll keep an eye on him.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
05/19/17 10:38 pm

Great! These warnings never reach everyone that needs them. Glad we kept him safe.

EastCoaster Lovin life
05/19/17 6:03 pm

They say they are supposed to help with ADHD. They don't. I have ADHD have tried them and all it did was make me even more distracted.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
05/19/17 6:44 pm

Such claims are an unsound marketing spin.
They should be marketed as simple idle toys, much like Slinky or Silly Putty.

WorstGooEver Nuke the Hurricanes
05/19/17 9:02 pm

Prae- I wouldn't quite say that. Some kids actually have an easier time paying attention if they doodle. Same kind of thing. Obviously not every kid will respond the same way.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
05/19/17 6:01 pm

Yes, I usually go for such fads but will probably lose interest soon.
The spinner ring has been popular for longer, and yes, I have one, too.