RussianThunder May 19th, 2017 10:53pm

My father stated, half in jest, that he thought Trump had autism spectrum disorder. He seems to have no filter, sit very rigidly, is always moving, sleeps very little, lacks empathy. I know we are not psychologists but what do you think? ASD?

SouthernLaw Old North State
05/20/17 8:58 am

He definitely doesn't have it, in my opinion.

pietsch Another Adoring Fan
05/20/17 5:16 am

He's rich. He's the boss. He's successful. He isn't that interested in social niceties if they aren't reciprocated and aren't serving him.

myob
05/20/17 4:53 am

He has attended some of the finest schools in the world. The problems you mention would have been expressed on his records. He has always been the boss and is not affected by disgruntlement.

05/20/17 7:09 am

Do we have his school records? Have they been released? He's older, diagnosing learning disabilities or mental illnesses was not common when he was younger.

SticksandStones Stop fearmongering
05/20/17 1:06 am

"I know we're not psychologists."

Although it seems a good portion of SOH thinks they are ;)

Anyway, it is an interesting observation.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
05/19/17 9:27 pm

One more thought. In my opinion, behavior and personality traits that are out of the ordinary are too quickly diagnosed as mental illness or personality disorder. Maybe it's just outliers on the spectrum. Examples:

Praetorianus Fair enough.
05/19/17 9:32 pm

NPD: disorder or just a personality trait that makes others think you're an arrogant ass?
Antisocial PD: maybe you're just a callous insensitive cad.
Asperger/low level autism: maybe you're just a loner. Being a bit different doesn't make you ill.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
05/19/17 8:09 pm

That's a very reasonable guess. I hadn't thought of it before, but it makes perfect sense, Martin.

Iamamerican California
05/19/17 7:15 pm

I thought he might have ADHD because he reminds me of one of my kids who has a serious form of it. The description in this question is similar to ADHD symptoms too.

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
05/19/17 7:48 pm

I've been saying ADHD since he announced he was running. The two conditions are frequently confused & misdiagnosed. Whatever else may be true, I can't imagine ADHD is high in the mix.

Mostly what I've seen is the "yes, we have to be very focused on... OH!... SQUIRREL!" distracted behavior I see in so many with ADHD. 😆 (Myself included.) It kinda tickles me to watch him speak cuz I can "see" the six other things he's thinking while he's talking. It fun to watch which one of those thoughts gets out first. 😆

Iamamerican California
05/19/17 7:55 pm

It may tickle you, but I'm always doing this....🤦‍♀️. His patriotic heart is in the right place, but I don't know about the rest of him.

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
05/19/17 7:14 pm

He actually is very empathic.

My "diagnosis" is severe ADHD & perhaps some mild form of another disorder that affects social skills. Wouldn't rule out high-functioning ASD. I know he is at least a little OCD becuz he's a germophobe.

But DEFINITELY, ADHD! My life is overrun with ppl with ADHD & I see so much evidence of the symptoms in him! My husband *cannot* sit still unless he's physically doing something that directs his excess physical energy to that instead of fidgeting! He fidgets in his sleep!

But there are people who simply require little sleep & tend to be like Trump in lots of ways: Martha Stewart only sleeps four hours a night too &, I if I could focus, I know at least another dozen famous ppl who sleep less than six hrs a day.

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
05/19/17 7:15 pm

💠 Poll Q:

Praetorianus Fair enough.
05/19/17 5:32 pm

Too outgoing and sociable for that.

05/19/17 6:20 pm

Some autistic people are very outgoing. There is a guy in my class at regular school (he was there when I left in Oct anyway) doh sings in musicals, acts in plays, talks to everyone. It's a spectrum.

05/19/17 6:23 pm

I'm not saying trump is autistic. I don't really think he is. I'm just saying it's a spectrum. Of course then there is the guy that talks to everyone but only asks how old you are and when is your birthday. Nothing else. Go figure.

rons Thanks America
05/19/17 5:06 pm

He has learned to be a dominant force. Watch how he leans into people and not away. Seems like everyone he meets one on one is good. In a group he's act like a fool. He built a multi billion dollar empire on his skills. I wouldn't under estimate him. I think he is not used to the push back from politicians and doesn't cope too well taking no for an answer.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/19/17 5:25 pm

I agree. The many interviews I've seen him do one on one bear out what you've said. For instance, this video:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=mxf1XmVZ9qY

RagingMystic covfefe
05/19/17 5:05 pm

It seems like he hasnt always been that way though. I obviously dont know too much, but I was under the impression that as recently as 5 years ago he was relatively coherent and collected

rons Thanks America
05/19/17 5:08 pm

Not used to the push back. He was the boss and that was that! He was the boss and that was that. This is a different game.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/19/17 5:00 pm

RT, aren't all of those classic signs of ADHD, also? I would lean more in that direction.

05/19/17 5:06 pm

Lack of empathy is not ADD/ADHD. I don't know if he lacks empathy. That was just a guess.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/19/17 5:22 pm

According to this report, there hasn't been a lot of research about empathy in ADHD patients, but it's posited that they have a problem with ALL emotions and lack of empathy makes sense:

addtreatmentcenters.com/framefiles/articles/Empathy%20and%20Emotional%20Functioning%20in%20Boys%20with%20ADHD.html

Here's another VERY interesting article:

More....

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/19/17 5:22 pm

Part 2. This person says: "Consider this excerpt from my book, Is It You, Me, or Adult A.D.D.?. In it, I name "low empathy” as one of three common ADHD-related deficits that can derail relationships.

Actually, empathy involves two sets of skills, according to [psychologist Robert] Brooks:

The ability to take the perspective of another person
The ability to understand and identify emotions
Yet, for many people with ADHD, the world can seem so chaotic and their focus so erratic, they don’t even know what they feel, much less what someone else feels.

Even if an adult with ADHD possesses both sets of empathic skills listed above, the person’s impulsivity or rigidity might obscure seeing the world through another’s eyes.

More...

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/19/17 5:23 pm

Part 3. And if a person is lacking in empathy,” Brooks adds, “he or she is likely to misread a situation and misunderstand the intentions of others. They often expect others to adapt to them, but they aren’t as willing to change themselves.”

It could be that change seems impossible—and the resulting feeling of powerlessness frustrates them even more.

Treating ADHD with medication often enhances the ability to act empathically. Certain coexisting conditions, however, such as Asperger’s Syndrome, complicate the picture."

The article goes on, but that gives you the picture! Lol

05/19/17 6:32 pm

Oh I guess that makes sense. One of the guys at school has only ADHD/ADD. They were going to test him for autism though. I wonder what came from that? Sergei was thought to only have ADHD/ADD and has now been diagnosed with ASD.
Honestly, none of these people seem to know really. Psychology seems more of an art than a science.

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
05/19/17 7:23 pm

People with ADHD can be very empathic... but, can be too distracted to communicate that empathy effectively. They can also have social issues that come across as rude & are horrified when they realize they've someone's feelings.

In other words, depending on the situation &/or the specific degree/type of ADHD, behavior may come across as rude or uncaring but emotionally, that isn't at all accurate.

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
05/19/17 7:31 pm

I am highly empathic, but in social settings - especially with a group of ppl, & worse if I don't know anyone - I can feel internally overwhelmed to the point I cannot focus sufficiently on the other ppl... and can come across as distant or even antisocial. But, if someone actually comes up to me & engages me, that isn't the case at all. One on one, I do much better. Or in front with a microphone. 😁

It really depends on the situation & setting, sometimes. At home, it can seem like I'm self-centered. But the reality is, I'm not always able to "multitask." I can engage with another human or I can complete my task, not both at the same time. Under a deadline or stress, it can be even worse.

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
05/19/17 7:35 pm

Psychology *is* more an art than a science... and some are better performing the art than others.

The worse are those who get into psychology "to fix other ppl" & fail to see how screwed up they themselves are. Sadly, there are too many like that... based on my own experience. "The savior therapist." 🙄 Create far more problems than they resolve.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/19/17 7:39 pm

RT, ALL medicine is partly science, partly art. That's why they call it "practicing" medicine! Lol

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/19/17 7:55 pm

Thanks for the description of what it's like for you, Star. We've always suspected that hubby has ADHD. I read what you said to him, and he said it all applied, especially the part about not being able to multitask.

I can't even tell him to do more than one thing at a time. For example, I can't ask him to pick up something in the den, then throw it away in the trash, and enter something into his phone. I have to say just one task at a time. That, plus his procrastination, and not putting things back where they belong, have been major contentions. Do you have problems in these areas?

We've wanted to have him tested for ADHD, but no one seems willing to do it. As a child, his parents and siblings all called him slow because it took him so long to accomplish tasks. I think a lot of that is lack of being able to stay on task and concentrate. He gets distracted very easily. I can block other people out when I read or type, or drive a school bus. He can't seem to do that many times.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/19/17 7:57 pm

RT--I do agree that psychology is more that way. In fact, when prescribing medicine for depression, the doctor has to experiment, trying different combos of meds until they find just the right one for each individual patient. This can be VERY frustrating to depression patients!

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/19/17 7:57 pm

Once they find that right combo, it's called a cocktail of meds.

singkitty In the cloud
05/19/17 4:56 pm

I know a few people on the spectrum. He doesn't seem to display the same symptoms. If anything I'd say he might be a sociopath or possibly have dementia.

05/19/17 4:58 pm

There is no way he had dementia. He's too cognizant of many things. I have been around some demented people. He's not like that.

RagingMystic covfefe
05/19/17 5:06 pm

The psychological surroundings over diagnoses of psychopathy and sociopathy are kind of a mess anyway

singkitty In the cloud
05/19/17 5:07 pm

I have been around it as well...and the early signs are very subtle.

Axl752 NY
05/19/17 4:53 pm

I think he suffers more from acute buffoonery.

05/19/17 4:59 pm

Is that an actual medical diagnosis (to be read to yourself in the voice of Sid the Sloth)? 😁

Axl752 NY
05/19/17 5:20 pm

Yup. That's an official medical condition.

Finny Conservative Lesbian
05/19/17 4:37 pm

It's easy to give oneself a diagnosis. Many people experience symptoms of disorders at times, it's when symptoms are constant and interfering with someone's life / value of life that there's an actual disorder

05/19/17 4:44 pm

My brothers and I have had many diagnoses. I agree with you though, you cannot diagnose yourself. It annoys me when people tell me they are self diagnosed.
I just found his statement curious and wondered what others thought.

voc I am...what I am
05/19/17 4:34 pm

No. I think he more has something like dementia or maybe a head injury.

05/19/17 4:47 pm

That was kind of my reaction when he said it.

bringstheeagle Colorado
05/19/17 4:31 pm

So is your dad a psychologist? Just curious.

05/19/17 4:45 pm

Nope he is a nuclear and quantum physicist. He's just got 5 sons diagnosed on the spectrum. He certainly can't diagnose anyone. He was half joking but I am bored so I thought I would share.

bringstheeagle Colorado
05/19/17 4:47 pm

It wasn't a trick question. Any negative critique of Trump is fine with me.

05/19/17 4:49 pm

I didn't take it as a trick question. I just answered it though. No, he can't diagnose anyone but he is a literal genius. I figure that had to count for something lol

bringstheeagle Colorado
05/19/17 4:49 pm

I used to socialize with a nuclear quantum physicist he retired early in my career and I lost contact. Funny, smart, quirky, and brilliant fellow.

05/19/17 4:50 pm

Probably had the social skills of a daffodil though, right?

bringstheeagle Colorado
05/19/17 4:53 pm

😂 no he was a cool guy. My wife says I have the social skills of a daffodil 🌼 though. Still I don't mean to imply we were even slightly in the same league.

05/19/17 5:05 pm

Lol. My dad is incredibly gifted but none of his children are. We all have issues.
I think that's what you get when you play in uranium lol

catpillow Florida West Coast
05/19/17 4:28 pm

It wouldn't surprise me. I've been wondering if he has a reading disability. He seems to avoid reading.

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
05/19/17 7:54 pm

Many ppl with certain levels of ADHD can find reading a struggle... too static to keep their focus. If they learn "tricks" like headphones with classical or instrumental music - no known lyrics - it can "entertain" one part of their focus so they can focus on reading.

If it's too quiet, I can have a hard time staying focused on what I'm reading unless the material is sufficiently engaging. TV may be on or music... doesn't have to be loud just enough so *other* things don't capture my attention. I tend to knit & listen to audiobooks or watch tv these days.

CoffeeNow Powderpuff Leftist
05/19/17 4:24 pm

I hope so...if for no other reason than it makes Hillary's loss that much more hilarious

mcable Restoring Zukos Honor
05/19/17 4:13 pm

Imho, he is on a whole different spectrum. Narcissistic Personality Disorder comes readily to mind.

05/19/17 4:46 pm

I can't diagnose anyone obviously bug I would agree with that.

3017 the world is shit
05/19/17 4:12 pm

i always saw him as having more of a personality disorder

PrinceOberyn Here I am Here I Remain
05/19/17 3:57 pm

I don't know about Autistic, but he does *definitely* show signs of narcissm and histrionic personality issues.

05/19/17 3:55 pm

Also, before anyone says anything. I have autism spectrum disorder as do 4 of my 5 brothers. I am not bashing ASD. He does remind me of this guy named Collin in my class though. He is autistic as well.